Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #1

BAL Scissor Jack Install Question

Hi all, I tried replying to my old thread on this topic, but it was too old and it wouldn't allow it.

I have a question on how I installed the jacks, since I was researching something else and got nervous I screwed up based on comments I read about drilling holes in the frame.

I installed the jacks in front of the front tires on the frame i beams. I used self-tapping screws to mount them. The screws went through the bottom flange, but were slightly closer to the outer edge of the flange than to the web.

Was this a mistake? Did I severely weaken the i beam strength? If so, can it be fixed by welding a plate over the bottom?

I've seen tons of install pics that did that same thing, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #2

I don't think so. After you see holes and welds done at factory. I did the same thing about mounting jacks. If really worried just inspect the area after each trip till you feel good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #3

Thanks.

I crawled under today and there are quite a lot of tap screws in the frame from the factory. Plus, they installed the electric stabilizers with bolts to the i beam flange too.

The whole reason it came up was that I was considering options for under camper storage by building a hanging rack underneath. When looking for ideas, I read a lot of folks talking about how it weakened the beam substantially to drill through the flange. If that were true, I would have thought the BAL jack instructions would have said to NOT do it, but I don't remember it saying that.

Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #4

one idea for underneath storage might be a BAL "hide-a-spare", its intended for your spare tire, but could very easily be used for other types of storage,....pulls out for easy access to what ever is mounted on the rack, .... I bought one hoping to mount my Barker portable waste tank, but the tank was too large to mount under there,

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote