Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #1

Bathroom Skylight Cover Mod by OldCoot

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ver-27217.html

Many Thanks to OldCoot for posting this idea (Link to his thread above). We Have already had several mid 90 degree days (WOW, it's still only April) here in San Antonio, TX and had some half inch hail last week also. I Have been looking for a solution like this to reduce heat and protect the skylight. But, before I dive into the fabrication and install, I would like to know how your install has held up over the past couple years.

We typically do one or two 2400 mile roundtrip highway runs to Ohio and back and much shorter runs to the coast. All interstate at 65 mph. Don't want it blowing off due to the constant buffeting at highway speeds.

Any issues with the cover loosening since it was only bonded to the roof and not screwed down.

Thank You in advance for any advice you can give.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

It is still sitting just like it has since installing. Have over 6,000 miles on it and no signs of loosening. I did clean the whole area and the flange on the alum cover very good with acetone before using the tape.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #3

That cover looks good. I took a piece of aluminum foil insulation and velcro to the under side of the skylight in the shower. Seems to cut the Florida heat way down and I can remove it easily if I ever get to a cooler climate and get the urge to look at the sky while showering.

I cannot figure out what they were thinking by putting a skylight in a camper.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
That cover looks good. I took a piece of aluminum foil insulation and velcro to the under side of the skylight in the shower. Seems to cut the Florida heat way down and I can remove it easily if I ever get to a cooler climate and get the urge to look at the sky while showering.

Considered that approach and decided I wanted to try to keep some of the heat off the skylight itself as well as the plastic panel inside while somewhat protecting the dome. So far, it has accomplished both and still allows a significant amount of light in.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 AM   #5

I didn't realize you used screen. That's a really cool idea.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post

My skylight brings a lot of light into the bathroom, where there are no windows. In fact, we rarely turn the lights on in there during the daytime. I guess some people can also use a little extra headroom in the shower.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #7

My skylight has become discolored. Just wondering if this would help
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrBT...4N9uDFrLrBovk-
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
My skylight brings a lot of light into the bathroom, where there are no windows. In fact, we rarely turn the lights on in there during the daytime. I guess some people can also use a little extra headroom in the shower.
My salesman told us that skylights are put in showers to give more headroom since the tub is raised a little cutting down on the headroom. Makes sense.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
My salesman told us that skylights are put in showers to give more headroom since the tub is raised a little cutting down on the headroom. Makes sense.
x2. I'd be hitting my head on the roof trying to stand up straight in the shower without it. Ok, well maybe not quite, but it would be close and the extra room helps when shampooing. I hate trying to shower stooped.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
It is still sitting just like it has since installing. Have over 6,000 miles on it and no signs of loosening. I did clean the whole area and the flange on the alum cover very good with acetone before using the tape.

Thank You for your quick reply. Just what I wanted to hear.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #11

I saw that some people sprayed the outside of the skylight with paint to cut down on the heat but still let light in.....seems rather permanent......anyone think of using the Plasti-dip spray? It is like paint but like a rubbery feel. They make a smoke that still is see through. If you ever wanted to remove it is comes off fairly easy and leaves no damage or residue. Thoughts???
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
To remove heat---------------

I mad a mod to the bath skylight on my 2011 fifth wheel to remove the heat. First I removed the white plastic trim with the clear plastic. I removed the clear plastic. (very easy to pop out). I went to my local glass supplier,
ordered a grey smoke tempered piece of glass that was the same size as the removed clear plastic. I silicone the new glass to the white trim. Re-installed the trim after the silicone dried. Bing-go, no heat in the bath! The glass tempered cost me $14.00. It worked so good that I replaced the glass
in both entry doors with the same glass with a silver tint on the inside.
You can see out but no one can see in. One of the best mods I have made for here in the Florida heat.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #13

So after feeling all the Florida heat pouring in through the skylight and all the suggestions I decided to try painting the skylight with Plasti-Kote.

I sprayed about 4 coats of white Plasti-kote the top of the skylight from the roof. It cut the heat down tremendously and it still allows a lot of light to come through. Seems to be my solution. I can peel it off if I don't like it or if it gets scratched by trees. Also, seems like it will provide some level of protection.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #14

With a goal of increasing the light I'm considering installing an additional skylight in the living area. I'd do that only after a lot of research as to what's hidden in the roof and will take measures to mitigate heat.

I want light in the daytime but not necessarily in the early AM when trying to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to shade it on the inside, like a blackout roller shade except that it would be horizontal?

Thanks

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #15
NELA

We did discover one thing early this year with out bathroom skylight;

When you're in a monsoon thunderstorm that skylight allows the lightning to light things up like there's a huge strobe light in the bathroom.

Our dog is afraid of lightning/thunder so I ended up shutting the door from the bedroom to the bathroom. Thought I was going to have to shove towels across the top and under the edge.

Need to make a reflectix insert for it.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
We did discover one thing early this year with out bathroom skylight;

When you're in a monsoon thunderstorm that skylight allows the lightning to light things up like there's a huge strobe light in the bathroom.

Our dog is afraid of lightning/thunder so I ended up shutting the door from the bedroom to the bathroom. Thought I was going to have to shove towels across the top and under the edge.

Need to make a reflectix insert for it.
Another thing in the bucket list when you come over. LOL
Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #17
NELA

I'm thinkin' we need to swap that bucket for a 55 gallon drum.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #18
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
With a goal of increasing the light I'm considering installing an additional skylight in the living area. I'd do that only after a lot of research as to what's hidden in the roof and will take measures to mitigate heat.

I want light in the daytime but not necessarily in the early AM when trying to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to shade it on the inside, like a blackout roller shade except that it would be horizontal?

Thanks
I had the same issue and needed some kind of panel that was light weight but sturdy and able to cut to the shape of my triangle skylight.....found a 36"x36" sheet of dry erase board @ Lowes that I cut down to fit the exact sz of the inside of my skylight. Secured with Velcro (white) works like a charm...goes up before bed, down in the am.

Tags
cover, light, roo, modifications