Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #1

Battery???

I am going to be the proud owner of a Rockwood 2604 unit very soon. the unit come with one Interstate HD24-DP (Deep Cycle) 12 v battery.

Golf Cart Battery Specs

I am thinking about adding a second 12 v battery, Does it have to be the same brand/ size?? Can it be higher amperage?? if so, what size/brand??

Thanks

Old 03-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If you are planning on running two batteries in parallel, then they should be the same. Otherwise, when the little one starts to die, the bigger one will try to recharge it, and you have lost all your extra capacity. Since you don't have the unit yet, negotiate with dealer for anther battery, or leave it out and you can buy two of your own.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
If you are planning on running two batteries in parallel, then they should be the same. Otherwise, when the little one starts to die, the bigger one will try to recharge it, and you have lost all your extra capacity. Since you don't have the unit yet, negotiate with dealer for anther battery, or leave it out and you can buy two of your own.

thanks, I talked to the dealer today and asked him to quote me for swapping to a pair of SRM-29.
we'll see what he comes back with
Old 03-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Site Team

I also been checking into getting an second battery. From what I understand when adding a second battery is that the strength will be the same as the weakest of the two batteries. (Not sure if I worded this correctly but I remember it was similar to "being as strong as the weakest link")

I will buy two new batteries when I upgrade.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #5

I run two golf cart batteries. The reserve capacity is fantastic. I can dry camp for a weak on them before I need fire the genny.
2005 Polaris sportman 500HO (mine)

trailraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #6

got word back from the dealer today. He says the rack for the battery is 23 in wide and the SRM-29 is 13 in wide, so 2 would be 26.....so I told him to look at the U2200 6 volt batteries.

I am curious, how do folks mount 2 batteries at a time with the space limitations???

Also, it would seem that they would be hanging out in the open. Is there a box that will handle two 6 or 12 volt batteries on the frame safely on a Rockwood 2604 frame???
Old 03-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #7

You know there are so many posts bashing the Interstate gp24 batteries and I really don't understand it. When we got our fiver in 2005 it came with one gp24 Interstate battery. Soon after I purchased three more of the same battery. After 6 years they are still going strong. Yes I will be replacing them this spring for 4 golf cart batteries with more capacity. BTW we camp probably 90% of the time in NF sites with no hookups and use an inverter for the TV/DVD/Sat receiver several hours a day.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #8

If you do a Google/Bing search for battery boxes and/or battery trays, you will get 100's of websites. I've been looking to upgrade my batteries and looked at battery boxes--they can get expensive ($80+).

I am thinking you could accomplish the same thing by purchasing an $8 bin from Walmart (adjusting for proper ventilation/drainage).
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
You know there are so many posts bashing the Interstate gp24 batteries and I really don't understand it. When we got our fiver in 2005 it came with one gp24 Interstate battery. Soon after I purchased three more of the same battery. After 6 years they are still going strong. Yes I will be replacing them this spring for 4 golf cart batteries with more capacity. BTW we camp probably 90% of the time in NF sites with no hookups and use an inverter for the TV/DVD/Sat receiver several hours a day.
I am one that has not had very good luck with Interstate batteries, to the point that I will never buy another one, but I realize there are those which have had good results with them. I personally think they do not hold up to heat very well. It seems to me that individuals in hot climates, such as myself in Phoenix AZ, do not have good results with them, while individuals in cooler climates have better success. No scientific study, it just seems that the majority of people which have had a bad experience with Interstate batteries are from a hot climate.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #10

I told the dealer to install 2x U2200 6V Interstate batteries in series and I am picking up the Rockwood 2604 trailer from EconomyRVs tomorrow.

WRT the 6V batteries, I have some questions...

1. If wired properly will the batteries charge from the car alternator??

2. Will they charge when connected to shore power?

3. Will they charge from a generator??

4. While not in use, what should I disconnect, if anything??

5. Are there cut/off switches that I should install, or anything else from a safety/power conservation perspective??

6. What measurements if any should I take on the batteries??

7. What type of battery charger should I use on the system, if at all??

8. What type of maintenance is appropriate to extend the life of the batteries??
Old 03-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #11

I have a 2010 Freelander Coachman and am factory wired for charging by either the on-board generator, engine alternator or when plugged into shore power. I installed an 800 watt inverter that gives usage and draw. I also carry a voltmeter should I want/need to check batteries (4 12 volt wired parallel, deep cycle, 140 amp sealed,) individually or in total.

When I store the rig for the summer, I have a switch that disconnects the coach batteries from use. If you don't find a turn-off switch, just lift the connecting cables from the batteries.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

If you have a 7 pin connector on your car AND you have a 12volt DC line available to the correct pin. Yes.

Yes. Since the charging is done through the shore power AC to DC converter.

Two part answer.

If you hook your generator up to the 30 amp plug on your trailer; it will charge the batteries as if you were hooked up to shore power using your converter.

If you hook them up directly with the supplied generator 12 volt cable to the 12 volt charging port (if available on your generator) then yes.

The batteries from the load on the trailer. A battery disconnect switch is a life saver.

5. Are there cut/off switches that I should install, or anything else from a safety/power conservation perspective??

Yes; see above. If you boondock a lot; you should consider a good battery load monitor system like the TM-2025RV.

Voltage mostly.

Whole thread here on that topic.

8. What type of maintenance is appropriate to extend the life of the batteries??

Monitor water levels if not maintenance free. Never allow the battery voltage of the bank to drop below 80% capacity if you can measure it without recharging. Deeper discharge will shorten the life of any battery. Most are designed for 200 full charge to dead (10.5 volts) cycles.
Recharging at 80% will provide almost indefinite life; recharging routinely at 50% will double the life (or over 400 uses).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #13

Lou said:
"Monitor water levels if not maintenance free. Never allow the battery voltage of the bank to drop below 80% capacity if you can measure it without recharging. Deeper discharge will shorten the life of any battery. Most are designed for 200 full charge to dead (10.5 volts) cycles.
Recharging at 80% will provide almost indefinite life; recharging routinely at 50% will double the life (or over 400 uses)."

Do you mean 80% of 12volts=9.6V????
Where does the 10.5 come from???

forgive my ignorance. I appreciate the help and wisdom.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Sorry pal, I should have been more specific.

There is a chart of voltages here somewhere (I will try to find and repost it) that equates percent of capacity to a specific voltage.

If I recall correctly 100% capacity is a no load voltage of 13.2 volts and dead 0% capacity remaining as 10.5 volts.

I use the TM-2025RV to monitor my batteries and the readout is in percent capacity remaining. 80% is probably around 12.2 volts no load but I will track down the chart for you.

http://www.scubaengineer.com/documen...ing_graphs.pdf

See page 68 of the article for the graphs if that will help.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post

A newbie guess is 'yes' based on what the dealer told us when we picked up our trailer last week. However, I have been told that the charge from the car is probably slower than your usage.

Quote:

Again, from what I've read here and elsewhere (not based on my experience): You should disconnect everything when not using for long (but how long is long?) periods of time. There are a number of threads that talk about this - if you haven't picked up your trailer yet, you could ask your dealer. I'm wondering if there is a breaker at the converter distribution panel that will isolate the batteries; but I need research that some as well.

Quote:

In the mods thread (See Lou's comment), there are after-market install systems that can monitor current and voltage and give you an assessment of battery health without leaving your RV. You can measure the electrolyte content in the batteries with a tool that uses two different 'floats' to estimate concentrations. Unless it has pass/no pass markings, I wouldn't know what to do with the data.

Be sure that if you charge the batteries separately that you are charging at 6 volts and not 12. I'm sure I dramatically shortened the life of my '53 chevy because it was a 6V system and the only thing I could find in my dad's garage was a 12V charger.

I have also read that to prolong the life you want to:
1. Keep your batteries charged.
2. Keep them from freezing.
3. Keep them from getting too hot.
4. Keep the fluids in them.
5. Charge them slowly.
6. Keep your batteries charged.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

"I'm wondering if there is a breaker at the converter distribution panel that will isolate the batteries; but I need research that some as well."

There is. Unfortunately it is an autoresetting or manual resetting breaker (depends on camper) screwed to the frame near the battery. It can't be removed and used as an on/off switch easily. You would have to remove the terminal wire that goes to the converter and tape it up. Better to add a dedicated switch that can handle 40-50 amps (google battery isolator switch).

"You can measure the electrolyte content in the batteries with a tool that uses two different 'floats' to estimate concentrations. Unless it has pass/no pass markings, I wouldn't know what to do with the data."

Pass/nopass marking would be useless in determining charge state. You have a Go/No Go now. Lights work/Lights don't.

The battery hydrometer you need has only one float with graduations on it and a chart the tells you what each reading equates to as state of charge. These are also available on line.

"Be sure that if you charge the batteries separately that you are charging at 6 volts and not 12. "

If you use a 12 volt charger you MUST keep the two 6 volt batteries connected and charge Across both of them just like you use them.

"I'm sure I dramatically shortened the life of my '53 chevy because it was a 6V system and the only thing I could find in my dad's garage was a 12V charger."

I have no doubt.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #17

I am happy to report that I picked up my Rockwood and had the dealer install 2 6V Golf batteries.

I installed a disconnect switch, but am going to rewire it since the Power Jack is still live.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #18

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery