Old 04-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
rsl

battery box upgrade

I currently have a single 12 volt deep cycle battery and am upgrading it to 2 6 volt golf cart batteries. The problem I have is that the current battery is in an enclosed vented battery box that is just big enough to accomadte the current battery. I would like to take the exsisting box out and replace it with a doulbe so I may use the exsisting hole in the bottom of the trailer for spill drainage and the exsisting vent tube for battery gases. Can anyone tell me where I may purchase such a box?

Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Here's a link to point you in the right direction. I'm sure there are others out there.

https://www.makariosrv.com/categorie...Battery-Boxes/

Good luck, Charlie

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #3

Dual 6V battery box.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
rsl

thanks, i looked at those links. i think i will either get 2 single boxes (cost around $10-$15 each) and some kind of plumbing fitting to combine the vent or make something "homemade". i cant see paying $90 +$15 shipping for a plastic box.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
i cant see paying $90 +$15 shipping for a plastic box.
True, true.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
rsl

ok so I installed 2 6 volt interstate batteries last night, 232 amp/hours. The battery part was easy, the fun part was the battery box. I ended up finding a box that would sort of work at wallyworld. I found one of the heavy duty black rubbermaid boxes with the red handles in the automotive department. I had to cut the inside 2nd layer of plastic out of the lid for the batteies to fit. I screwed it down, cut the vent hole in the bottom, used some creative plumbing parts to make the drain, drill a couple of holes in the side for the wires to pass through, cut a hole in the top and used a plumbing fitting to attach the vent tube. I will get some pictures and post them. Couple of hours of work but the box and plumbing parts was less then $25 as oppesed to ordering one for $125.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
ok so I installed 2 6 volt interstate batteries last night, 232 amp/hours. The battery part was easy, the fun part was the battery box. I ended up finding a box that would sort of work at wallyworld. I found one of the heavy duty black rubbermaid boxes with the red handles in the automotive department. I had to cut the inside 2nd layer of plastic out of the lid for the batteies to fit. I screwed it down, cut the vent hole in the bottom, used some creative plumbing parts to make the drain, drill a couple of holes in the side for the wires to pass through, cut a hole in the top and used a plumbing fitting to attach the vent tube. I will get some pictures and post them. Couple of hours of work but the box and plumbing parts was less then $25 as oppesed to ordering one for $125.
Good deal, glad to hear it worked out for you. $100 saved can buy some other goodies. Congrats, looking forward to the pictures.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
rsl

Two questions.....

1. How well does the battery box need to be sealed (excluding the bottom and top vents), does it just need to be reasonably enclosed with a little gap around hole for wires or does it need to be airtight with the exception of the box vents?
2. What kind of water do I use to top off the batteries, regular bottled water, or what?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Everything I have read says distilled water ONLY.

As to the battery box (in my opinion), it should be vented to the outside to ensure airflow through the box to the outside. This will purge the hydrogen generated by the charging process does not accumulate and reach a dangerous level. This is normally done with a vent at the bottom and another at the top since Hydrogen is lighter than air. There are plenty of drafts in most battery compartments, but you want to be sure, so vent it. As to how tight, I think it is not so important as long as there is a place to the Hydrogen to GO (UP). The "replacement air" can come in the sides, bottom, etc.

I am in the process of making a double box from two plastic kitchen sink dish washer tubs. I will be using the existing upper vent tube and drilling a drain hole to match up with the existing hole in the bottom of the compartment. Wires will exit through the side where the top and bottom tubs mate. Will photo the whole thing when done.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
rsl

I have both the bottom and top vents installed and vented to the outside. I was just trying to figure out if I had to silcone any wire holes on the side of the box.

Tags
battery