Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Battery cut off or Isolator Mod

Thought I would add my first mod on the forum. I was tired of the battery going dead after sitting so I added a battery isolator to my TT. I used a battery box for trailer brake away system as I did not want it mounted out for everyone to see and dink with

Battery Isolator in battery box. Two screws at bottom hold the plexiglass in place

Shows the battery isolator mounted on bent plexiglass going into battery box

Here you can see how I bent the plexiglass and mounted the battery isolator. I also drilled a small hole in the top of the plexiglass and put a cable thru it and thru the key, so the key will not get lost. I keep the spare in the trailer just in case.

6ga. cable used and terminals to fit the 6ga wire and also the battery isolator (I purchased mine at Mac's Hardware) I crimped the wires in and also soldered them also. Make sure you have enough wire to go from inside the battery box connected to the battery isolator and out to your battery. I made it a little longer so if I have to pull the isolator out of the battery box.

Picture of the Dorman Battery Isolator I used. It comes with two keys and the battery isolator (I purchased mine at O'Reillys)

Take positive cable off of battery and put on one side of isolator and the new cable on the other side of the isolator and run to the battery. I also put my jack on the dead side of the isolator. Make sure to put your brake system on the battery, do not connect to isolator, just in case you don't turn the isolator on when you travel.

Bout it, like I said, it looks like a battery box for your brake system and it is hidden out of site. I mounted it to the inside rail by the battery. Hope this helps someone out.

buzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Btw but just my opinion, drill a small hole in bottom for moisture to drain away if there isn't already.

I have a battery box like that at work that was half full of water when I checked battery for dot regulations.

For the life of me I don't know how water got in there but it did.

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Nicely done. I've got that switch but was trying to figure out how to weatherproof it and this is a great option.
2012 Chevy Suburban 1500
2012 Surveyor SP-260
quackor is offline   Reply With Quote