Old 05-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Well, as a start to my project I needed a baseline to work from.

So I spent a week removing just about everything from the camper (and still managed to forget about 50 pounds of stuff in an outside compartment) and everything but the hitch and I from the truck.

So, as an exercise in how I do it, I will post my process as I go along and then make a decision if we can continue with our wonderful Flagstaff or get something bigger.

Just back from the scales and the attached DOC file (steal it if you want) has my "empty weights" post 5 years of modifications and "adjustments". I double checked the numbers and they are pretty accurate as a starting point.

With the empty truck (just me, the hitch, and a full tank of gas), I have an available payload of 1900 pounds (9200 GVWR - 7300 Empty weight). Subtract DW and dog (another 200 pounds off the available payload) with nothing else in the truck (no sodas, no extra fuel, no generator, no axle lifts), that leaves 1700 pounds of pin load available.

At 20% of pin ratio, I can tow a 5th wheel with a maximum weight of (1700/0.20) or 8500 pounds. This is obviously a big problem since my camper weighs 8050 empty (no water, goods, etc - full propane).

However, if I manage my pin weight by aft loading as much as possible and try to achieve a 16% ratio (what I normally load to), my maximum camper weight climbs to 10,625 pounds. My present camper's GVWR is 9,169 pounds so I am pretty much already at my max loading when I put much of anything in my truck.

The Wildcat 295RSX I am looking at weighs 11,999 pounds (interesting number; that - I wonder what happens if it hits 12,000?) GVWR, but the empty weight is 9,363 (empty hitch 1,630) and has an available payload o0f 2,636 pounds. The empty ratio is 17.4% so I would need some careful loading to keep that ratio as max (and target 16%) and carry about what I carry now in the camper (including the DW's medical supplies. (OR buy a new truck, too)

So, as you can see, I have some "pondering" to do.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

DW dialysis medical supplies:

Cycler - 27 pounds
Fluid - 25 pounds (1 case per day) - 8 cases for a week - 200 pounds.
Emergency Fluid - (32 pounds)
Miscellaneous bells and whistles - 50 pounds.

Total - 300 pounds

Keeping the rest of our gear to 600 pounds or so will be a stretch but a new camper AND a truck is too much too fast. Looks like we will start learning "minimalist" camping!

Well the FIRST thing to load is the big screen projector and see what else fits...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #13

That wildcat sure is a nice looking unit. I vote for new truck and trailer (because it isn't my money) . All joking aside, I hope you can figure it out so you both can continue this great lifestyle.

Tags
bed, roo, modifications