Old 03-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
LOL - if all us bicycelers had planned ahead, the "best" solution would have been to buy one of those folding bikes and store it in the bed or basement (or inside the rig itself)
for serious bicyclers, a folding bicycle is not a "best" solution for real cycling, whether road or mountain.

though a folding bike is fine for riding around the campground, sidewalks or for errands.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
Capt Mike, that Bodiak setup is awesome! I just tried to call them and got no answer...bet they are out in the shop trying to keep up with orders! I also just shared it with my son and told him Father's day is coming up. Wife and I only take 2 bikes with us. I don't think they would interfere with truck cooling. What do you think?
Attachment 48637
Maybe in mountains or in the desert it might be an issue, but like you, we would only haul two bikes and on level ground I wouldn't worry too much about interfering with the cooling.

Anybody got any experience with it?

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
Since i havent seen mention of it, another not so costly option I have used (only fits two bikes) is a clamp on carrier that fits over the 2x2 hitch head....keeps the bikes outta the bed. Never had a prob...just another option..?

It says 3 bikes but maybe only if they were kids or you remove the front wheels?

Curt 18013 Clamp-On Bike Rack by Curt Amazon.com: Curt 18013 Clamp-On Bike Rack: Automotive

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
Do you have a pic of it with camper hooked up just wondering how much room there is. Is there any issues with turning and do they ride without bouncing all over.
joefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefresh View Post
Do you have a pic of it with camper hooked up just wondering how much room there is. Is there any issues with turning and do they ride without bouncing all over.
the rack clamps on real tight..also you can run a lock through the rack so it cant be removed and it has a cable to lock bikes to the rack (not gonna stop a determined theif, but hey....nothing really will).i bungee the bikes down so not much if any bouncing..its pretty tight with two fullsize bikes...but ive never hit them in a turn....i wouldnt try jackknifing the trailer with them (or the sway bars or the wd round bars for that matter) in place...

i dont have a pic with them all ready to roll...but im heading out friday and ill snap some for referrence..

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #75

Like my Rockwood but if i had checked it out better I would have never bought it because of the no add on to rear bumper. I would have bought one with a heavier frame under it. Oh well will make the best of it now and probably put an Arivka bike on the front A frame over the gas tanks.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #76

If you have a bike of quality, a front mount wil just destroy it. Not the mount per se but all of the road gunk thrown up from the vehicles in front of you. Bearings, chains, gears will all have driven rain and sand blasting on them for what - 4-6 hrs at a time. It will not be good for the bike. Doesn't sound too bad?? wait until you have to get the stuff replaced/serviced - new bottom bracket installed, 35-40 on a Wally world special, 100+ on a better road/hybrid. you can see where this is going. Also if parked somewhere, going in for lunch, dinner, quick stop for whatever before the CG (or even after the CG and bikes are still mounted in front) then Jethro/Ellie May backs up his/her car, truck, van and just bumps the bikes - bent frame, not fixable - replace it, bent wheel, possibly fixable probably not - replace it. Only takes one time and you are out anywhere from $100 to several thousand for a new bike or a replacement which you may not be able to find on that trip or even get insurance to cover. JMO having had worked at a bike shop and heard the stories of front mounted bikes, rear ladder mounted bikes, 4x4 bumper mounted bikes being destroyed and now no bike, can it be fixed/replaced, etc. Just sayin'.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #77

Can you put a bike rack on the back of an SUV while towing? I have a Rockwood HW276. I've got friends that say you can and can't do it. Which is right? What about a roof top rack?
mjw1048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #78
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw1048 View Post
Can you put a bike rack on the back of an SUV while towing? I have a Rockwood HW276. I've got friends that say you can and can't do it. Which is right? What about a roof top rack?
With my pop-up, I could hang bikes on the back with our 3 bikes and a Thule Raceway carrier.

On top of the SUV is also an option. They can be tall and a bit of a stretch to get up or down from, though. I was walking past as my neighbor was trying to get a bike down- I offered him a hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	49289  
Old 04-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #79
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw1048 View Post
IMHO, a roof rack is almost always the best option for bikes, PLUS you can use the rack for other things, like cargo/kayaks/snowboard and skis.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #80

This was my mod to the factory "bike rack" that came with our 28bhks. Welded a 3" square tubing across the bottom to support the weight, and use 5 foot pieces of square tubing for the vertical pieces. Bought some quick releases and mounted them to the tubing using U bolts. It is pretty sturdy and we still have room for a generator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forest River Forums mobile app

jackl806 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack