Old 01-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Bob, with your Tundra rail system and Yak Racks, sounds like you carry your bikes similar to the way I do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck 002.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	4323

In my case, I fabricated some adapters to fit some Yak Racks I had from a previous application to connect to my TracRac system.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #32
Mtn Guy, I have seen something like this made by Thule and I am considering it for the future. I use my truck for work too hauling stuff around and I would like a rack system that I can easily remove as needed.

Before we got a camper I bought a cool kayak trailer that uses Yakama bars and we have bike attachments for it and so forth. It has a 7 foot long box and we put our tents and so forth in it.. We use it every now and then.

You right Prof Fate...anykind of major collision and the stuff is gone...I think of a few minor reasons why not to put bikes there... in Florida they have love bugs...those critters are nasty and would cover a bike. Then there is rain and water will be pushed into the bearing seals and so forth. There is no perfect way to carry a bike, but in my opinion the front of the vehicle is the least perfect.

Bob, Tonya and the kids
11 Rockwood Roo 233S
08 Grady White Seafarer 228
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #33
I use to carry the bikes inside the trailer, but found that it was a pain if we wanted to use the trailer while travelling. At least with the bikes on the tongues we can use the trailer for lunch etc. while driving and I can keep an eye on the bikes in rear view mirror.

If your bikes are worth a bit of money, then what about a cover over the bikes while they are on the bike rack? I have seen some people with their bikes covered while hauling them. I also run a cable and lock trhough our bikes, but that is to keep the amateur at bay.

TV: 2007 GMC 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L
Brake Controller: Tekonsha P3
Hitch: Equal-i-zer 4 point wd/sway control
Trailer: 2015 Cherokee 274RK
In Past:
2011 Grey Wolf 26RL, 2009 Cikira 19 EXP hybrid, 2008 Clipper 108st (pop-up)
Willybgh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #34
Yakima makes a thing called a B String. It covers the seats and bars. I think it is made of neoprene. Putting them in the trailer is not a great solution as the bikes need to be secured and the pedals and stuff need to be wrapped to keep them from tearing up the interior ... I think you onto something there though....
Bob, Tonya and the kids
11 Rockwood Roo 233S
08 Grady White Seafarer 228
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #35
All this talk about bike's and stuff makes me wonder if I should keep my toy hauler?
We made a trip last winter to Fla. on the roof of the truck was the YAK in the garage of the camper was all the tables & chairs, outdoor kitchen cabinet, bikes, and lot of other stuff. Makes me wonder
Oh yea the garage turned into a second bedroom for my mom and eldest daughter.
I know that the 3065 will give me a lot more living space but where will I put all the stuff. And no bikes on the rear bumper will be a problem.
I'd rather seek forgiveness than ask permission

Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0 PSD
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD QC King Ranch
2006 Titanium 36E41MPRV Loaded
SoundMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #36
has anybody used a ladder mount bike rack ?
if so how did that work out ?

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
How do I write this without coming off arrogant or snobby? Some folks have motor cycles, some have boats, some have other stuff. I enjoy biking, alot and I invest in my liefe sport like others invest in their hobbies and interests. My carbon fiber road bike is worth around $4,200 and my mountain bike costs me about $2,500. My wife's bikes while not as expensive, they are expensive. While my truck and so forth are bigger worries, a collision, even a minor one for me is not worth the risks for me to put my bikes there. Ya'll can do what ever you see fit, it is your rig, your stuff. I am just say' each his own .
Smokyroo - I understand and agree completely with you about your bikes. My wife and I race (TT and triathlon) and also have a lot invested. Plus - they're fitted exactly and replacing them in the case of a minor accident would be a pain.

Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

bike, bike rack