Old 07-20-2016, 04:31 PM   #11
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanticjay View Post
I wish I could find out what this system is/was:

Bike Rack when towing TT

(Post #24 in that thread)
See my post #30 in that thread. You need the tracks to mount on the bed rails and the towers to mount in the tracks and then the cross bars and bike mounts to attach to the cross bars. I think both Thule and Yakima have that system.

2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:53 PM   #12
Site Team

Before you buy a rear mounted rack, drive behind someone with one and watch how the bikes behave. This should easily answer your question.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:57 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Before you buy a rear mounted rack, drive behind someone with one and watch how the bikes behave. This should easily answer your question.
x2!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #14

Mentioned in another thread that I had purchased an Arkiva tounge mount four bike rack. Absolutely love it. Sits over then propane tanks, installed in 20 minutes, folds up to access propane tanks and folds down for front window. Delivered to my carport in 4 days for $800 cnd. Parked at the campsite for the month or would show pics. Best money spent so far.
2008 GMC SLT 2500 HD Duramax
Husky Centerline hitch
BobtheBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:32 AM   #15
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
See my post #30 in that thread. You need the tracks to mount on the bed rails and the towers to mount in the tracks and then the cross bars and bike mounts to attach to the cross bars. I think both Thule and Yakima have that system.

Yeah, I PM'd chappie67 and he told me it is a Yakima system.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #16
TT Newbie

So, for any other RAM owners following this thread (or who might later find this thread), I've just discovered that you can get Mopar "utility bars" and Mopar also sells a Thule bike rack that attaches to these rails.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=mopar...rAvbhknHU4M%3A

Basically the same idea as a whole Thule or Yakima system, but perhaps more tailored for RAM.

Only thing I'm not sure about from the few small pics I can find is whether my tonneau cover system would interfere with install. Appears that the track for the bars installs inside the bed, under the edge. The rail system for my rolling tonneau cover also installs with clamps to the lip, so not sure if there would be overlap.

Also would seem that even if you could install it, I wouldn't be able to use the cover at the same time due to the "in bed" fit.

Overall cost to mount 4 bikes is probably not much different than a Thule or Yakima system, at the end of the day. All fairly expensive for carrying some bikes
Old 07-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #17
Canadian Member

From the pics that come up on your link, it looks like the towers attach to rails on the inside of the bed walls so a tonneau wouldn't be possible with that system - at least not at the same time. The one that chappie67 used will allow for a roll up tonneau cover provided the mounting rail for the tonneau doesn't go too far onto the top of the bed wall. There are a few tonneaus out there where the outside edge of the cover doesn't go past the inside of the bed wall. They would be ideal for this setup.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
TT Newbie

Quote:
From the pics that come up on your link, it looks like the towers attach to rails on the inside of the bed walls so a tonneau wouldn't be possible with that system - at least not at the same time. The one that chappie67 used will allow for a roll up tonneau cover provided the mounting rail for the tonneau doesn't go too far onto the top of the bed wall. There are a few tonneaus out there where the outside edge of the cover doesn't go past the inside of the bed wall. They would be ideal for this setup.

Agreed, but I already have the cover on (installed at dealer), and mine does have rails on the bed wall. There is some room on the outside of those rails, but not the whole length of the bed, so I might not be able to get there.

My wife is advocating for getting one of those mats that goes over the tailgate and you stick the front wheels out over the gate, but I feel like this is a recipe for a crunched front wheel the first time you make a real tight turn while hauling the TT.

I'm now considering making a custom-fit solution for the bed out of PVC, similar to what others have done. But, I will have to turn my bikes around and turn the front wheel/handlebars in towards the center to make them fit in the bed with the tailgate closed. This will in turn require me to really customize the "holder" which will have to hold the rear tire, so that it will accommodate the shifter assembly, fender, etc. Also thinking I will probably need to make something that goes across the bed by the tailgate to hold the front wheels of the bikes.

Guessing this solution will cost me close to $150 (those little PVC elbows and T's are really pricey!), but other than the mat solution, that is far less than any other options will cost.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #19
Canadian Member

FWIW, here are a couple pics of how I'm carrying our bikes and what I have in the truck bed. Since I have a TT rather than a 5er, I have the room available and I can do this. The only negative of course is that I'm not covering everything in the bed and when it rains everything will get soaked. For now this is working for me. You can see that my roll-up tonneau's frame is mounted on top of the bed walls so I may or may not have enough width to put the tracks on there if I wanted to go with the Yakima system that chappie67 uses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-01 02.38.47.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	114867   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-01 02.39.17.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	114868  
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:49 PM   #20

Quote:
FWIW, here are a couple pics of how I'm carrying our bikes and what I have in the truck bed. Since I have a TT rather than a 5er, I have the room available and I can do this. The only negative of course is that I'm not covering everything in the bed and when it rains everything will get soaked. For now this is working for me. You can see that my roll-up tonneau's frame is mounted on top of the bed walls so I may or may not have enough width to put the tracks on there if I wanted to go with the Yakima system that chappie67 uses.

Yup, another benefit of a TT. My 5er friends keep reminding me how big their basement is... and I remind them how big the bed of my truck is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
bike, bike rack, freedom express