Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2016, 01:50 AM   #1

Black&Gray dump mods

Wondering if anyone has moved the sewer connection, the black, and gray dump valves out further toward the outboard side of their TT. I have a 2010 FR Surveyor 302 Rear Living and the sewer connection, and dump valves are 2 ft. From the side of the TT, requiring that I lay on the ground to hook up, and when I need to dump the tanks. Would like to extend the hookup, and valves out to a position I can reach without getting on the ground, as I have back and neck problems that make it difficult for me.
Any advise, or experience in making this mod appreciated.
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #2
Site Team

One of our previous RV's was a Grand Surveyor and the 3" sewer connection was recessed back under the RV as yours is. I used a sewer drain extension to get the connection to the side of the RV where I could hook up without reaching under it.

That unit also had cable operated valves and the handles were recessed under the unit. I got a 3/16" thick aluminum plate about 8" wide by 18" long and bent a 2" lip on one end and secured it to the frame under the RV and drilled an mounted the sewer valve handles to the lip. That moved the handles even with the sidewall of the unit so they were easy to reach.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
One of our previous RV's was a Grand Surveyor and the 3" sewer connection was recessed back under the RV as yours is. I used a sewer drain extension to get the connection to the side of the RV where I could hook up without reaching under it.

That unit also had cable operated valves and the handles were recessed under the unit. I got a 3/16" thick aluminum plate about 8" wide by 18" long and bent a 2" lip on one end and secured it to the frame under the RV and drilled an mounted the sewer valve handles to the lip. That moved the handles even with the sidewall of the unit so they were easy to reach.
Excellent mod. This is what I was going to suggest. If the OP doesn't have the cable operated valves, they are readily available and can be swapped out.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #4

Black&Gray dump mods

Thanks I thought that might work but wasn't sure about the valves, as they are solid rod operation.
I was thinking of just extending the existing piping and keeping the current valve setup as that would be more permanent than an extension. Guess I just have to decide which will work best.
GO PANTHERS "KEEP POUNDING"
Old 01-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
Site Team

You could add electric actuators to the valves and then you wouldn't have to crawl under the unit to operate them. I've thought of doing that on our current unit.

Barker makes the Auto-Drain that mounts to your existing valve so you don't have to worry about removing the valve from the line.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:58 AM   #6

Black&Gray dump mods

Thanks Bamma

I'll check it out.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #7

Well I opted for the low cost, Redneck Engineering solution! Bought the 7", 3" extension to bring the sewer connection out to the edge of the camper.
I used PVC, a block of oak, and 2 2" L- brackets to make a " DO HICKEY" to reach under the camper a pull the valves !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1458873999107.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	102753   Click image for larger version

Name:	1458874021355.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	102754   Click image for larger version

Name:	1458874039375.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	102755  
Old 03-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #8

Moving the drain pipe outward is a simple PVC plumbing project. Use a hacksaw about two inches behind the cap on your drain pipe, take that to Lowes/Home Depot and acquire a union to move the drain out a few inches. Need more distance, then get two unions and a section of pipe to fit. I actually added a 45° fitting to angle the drain pipe rearward so I could drain my tank with the slide out.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:00 PM   #9

Bought an extension at Camping World, or should I say " Tom Johnson's Camping World" and made my " Doo Hicky" to pull the valves !

Tags
black, mpg, modifications