Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #1

Blackstone 22" to RV Rail Mount - Any issues before I drill?

I am replacing my well worn RV rail mount BBQ that came with our Rockwood with a Blackstone 22" griddle. I removed the rail mounts from the BBQ and intend on mounting them underneath the Blackstone 22". It looks like it should work perfectly. But before I drill into the Blackstone, I thought I would ask for some opinions. See attached photos. The rails do lay flat once I remove the "bump stop" on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4712.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	219515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4713.jpg
Views:	1410
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	219516  
Old 11-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #2

I'm wondering what the weight difference is between the OEM grill and the 22 inch Blackstone. The griddle itself is relatively heavy.

I'd double check that the rails, rail mount and bracket on the camper are all up to the job of holding up the Blackstone.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
I'm wondering what the weight difference is between the OEM grill and the 22 inch Blackstone. The griddle itself is relatively heavy.

I'd double check that the rails, rail mount and bracket on the camper are all up to the job of holding up the Blackstone.
Yes, it's heavier. I usually used the shelf as well and had stuff on it when using the OEM BBQ. That shelf itself is pretty heavy, didn't seem to be an issue, but that is definitely one of my concerns. I'm not sure what that rail is screwed into.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #4

I'm thinking about a similar mod come the spring time. I had wondered about the extra weight as well.

I don't have anything on hand yet so can't comment directly. I would assume that if there is nothing on the inside of the Blackstone that will be hit/damaged by the screws you add there shouldn't be a problem.

Did your Blackstone come with a hood/cover or do you plan on getting one down the road? The covers mount to the griddle along the back edge. I wonder if the mounting arms sticking out the back side will interfere with the cover opening/closing.

Jim M.
jimmarako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
I'm thinking about a similar mod come the spring time. I had wondered about the extra weight as well.

I don't have anything on hand yet so can't comment directly. I would assume that if there is nothing on the inside of the Blackstone that will be hit/damaged by the screws you add there shouldn't be a problem.

Did your Blackstone come with a hood/cover or do you plan on getting one down the road? The covers mount to the griddle along the back edge. I wonder if the mounting arms sticking out the back side will interfere with the cover opening/closing.

Jim M.
There's nothing inside the Blackstone to interfere, I'm going to use rivets. I didn't get a cover but it looks like if I did I just couldn't hang if off the back. I'm getting my trailer out of storage tomorrow and I am going to try it and see what the extra weight does to the rail.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #6

While I was thinking about this I thought the hood might be useful to both help cook the foods (melt cheeses, bake, ...) but also with the hood opened, I would think it would act as a grease/heat shield to protect the trailer somewhat. I've only been on 5 trips with our trailer, and have kept the grilling calm (no large flare ups) so I don't know if heat/grease is really a concern or not.

Jim M.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
While I was thinking about this I thought the hood might be useful to both help cook the foods (melt cheeses, bake, ...) but also with the hood opened, I would think it would act as a grease/heat shield to protect the trailer somewhat. I've only been on 5 trips with our trailer, and have kept the grilling calm (no large flare ups) so I don't know if heat/grease is really a concern or not.

Jim M.
All I can tell you is I have used mine for 4 years and I don't have any marks on the side of the trailer from heat or grease, and I've had flair ups for sure. Not sure if the Blackstone runs hotter or not, but the OEM BBQ does have the lid. We will see!
Old 11-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #8

I just purchased the 17” Blackstone with the same thing in mind to do until I read in the users manual that it needs to be at least 36” from any wall or material. In looking at the 17” unit the heat vents are on the back side and looks like that would be the area where most of the heat will go so I’m not sure if the 4-5” of clearance you will have with the mounting bracket will be sufficient. I do plan on experimenting with mine in the spring
Slemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slemper View Post
I just purchased the 17” Blackstone with the same thing in mind to do until I read in the users manual that it needs to be at least 36” from any wall or material. In looking at the 17” unit the heat vents are on the back side and looks like that would be the area where most of the heat will go so I’m not sure if the 4-5” of clearance you will have with the mounting bracket will be sufficient. I do plan on experimenting with mine in the spring
I wonder how Forest River is then mounting the 17" griddle on their new trailers on the rail. I think I'm going to drill and rivet the mounts in, try it out and watch to see how hot it gets. It will still sit on it's feet with the mounts underneath if I need to move it. I guess their's always the $99 Blackstone folding table!
Old 11-22-2019, 09:22 PM   #10

If it seems too hot a simple heat shield may work. I'm not sure I'll explain this properly. And my metal fab skills are none, so I'd keep it real simple. I'd get a flat piece of sheet metal (steel, aluminum,....) wider than the mounting arms and a foot or two long. I would "notch" the sheet metal a few inches down from the top so it could hand on the arms close to the trailer. The metal would reflect much of the heat, and the air space behind it would be an insulator of sorts.

I'm sure there are those here who could suggest something nicer looking.

Jim M.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #11

Update

I really wanted this to work, but, my rail as it turns out was pulling out of the trailer and I didn't realize it. As I went to repair it, I realized it doesn't really screw into anything other than fiberglass. I tried hanging the Blackstone 22" on the rail once fixed, it would hold it, but it also was very bouncy as the extra weight hanging that far out didn't do well. (the griddle mounted farther out because it's wider than the OEM BBQ). I think the Blackstone 17" would work on the rail. It's lighter, mounts closer, and it's far enough away from the side of the trailer that I wouldn't worry about heat. Lesson learned, went for the "big boy 22in", but now it needs to be on a table.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:17 PM   #12

I would have 2 concerns 1st weight of the Blackstone with lid.
2nd grease cup overflowing/missing and grease splatters.
I am not in favor of anything that hot that close to the trailer.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
I would have 2 concerns 1st weight of the Blackstone with lid.
2nd grease cup overflowing/missing and grease splatters.
I am not in favor of anything that hot that close to the trailer.
Definitely the weight of the 22" is too much. I think the 17" would work. I have seen FR using the 17" now in place of the BBQ. Also, the 22" does have the grease catch in the back. The 17" in the front. The 17" only has the one burner, and it looks to be smaller than the OEM BBQ. If I had to do it over, I would get the 17" and mount it on the rail. As it is now, my 22" will be on a table and I will use the rail for a shelf.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
I really wanted this to work, but, my rail as it turns out was pulling out of the trailer and I didn't realize it. As I went to repair it, I realized it doesn't really screw into anything other than fiberglass.
I hope some of the screws made it into the aluminum frame. I would think that fiberglass would have zero ability to hold screws. At least as thin as i assume the exterior is.

Jim M.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #15

Not a single screw made it to the frame. All fiberglass/wood.
dmdomokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #16

Just finished cooking dinner last night and breakfast this morning, definitely glad I got the 22” version. Two burners, more space to cook multiple items. I use the rail for a shelf.
dmdomokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #17

And for anyone looking at a great price on the 22" Blackstone...$89.99 including the cover

https://www.bjs.com/product/blacksto...00000001379747
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Not a single screw made it to the frame. All fiberglass/wood.
Could you tell how think the exterior fiberglass is on the trailer? Did you manage to find and studs to screw into?

Jim M.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #19

Oh, BTW does anyone know where to get a long piece of the grill mounting rail? The rail on my trailer is ~5' long. I've see the Camco rails for sale but they are only 16" long. The mount for the grill is long that that by itself.

Jim M.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #20

Quote:
I am replacing my well worn RV rail mount BBQ that came with our Rockwood with a Blackstone 22" griddle. I removed the rail mounts from the BBQ and intend on mounting them underneath the Blackstone 22". It looks like it should work perfectly. But before I drill into the Blackstone, I thought I would ask for some opinions. See attached photos. The rails do lay flat once I remove the "bump stop" on them.
Hi. I have the 17 inch Blackstone and would love to make this mod, but was wondering where you found the mounting brackets that you used under the Blackstone that slide onto the rails?

BTW - I see you are from RSM, CA. Hubby and I live in Laguna Hills. We just bought our new-to-us (2015) a-frame in May 2020 (my Mother's Day gift!). I LOVE it and have been having a lot of fun making various mods to it.
curran4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, mount