Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

BOOM (Playing music)

Hello ya'll. Newbie here first time posting. We recently upgraded from a 2011 rockwood mini lite 1809s to a 2019 freedom express 246rks. Started our camping life this year and we're loving it. Been to around 8 state and county parks here in florida. Space center area. Looking forward to extended trips in the next few years.
My question is: I like a nice sound system that has some boom :d. I don't want to annoy fellow campers but when i put on some credence or zz top i may want to crank it up a little when born on the bayou plays. I'm nowhere knowledgeable about the equipment, amps and watts and all but i'm sorta leaning towards a boom box that i can just bring outside. I'm handy enough to change the head unit inside but in order to play outside i'm not sure how to make the connection. Seems like a small stereo unit with detachable speaker is the simplest way. Suggestions and reccomendations are appreciated.
Thanx! Partsmanjohn
Old 01-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #2
Coach

Do you tend to boon dock at all or mostly in parks. I ask because upgrading your rig stereo will allow you to run from battery power since it's a 12v system. Any portable you consider will likely be 120v and require house power, separate batteries or an inverter. Just something to consider.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
Old 01-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #3

Sounds like you need to boondock far, far from others.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
This will do the trick. When Boondocking runs on 12V. I have one in my Bighorn and can be heard 2 large sites away in the forest clear as bell. Your Music and Your Choice!

https://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jens...subwoofer.html
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
Old 01-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Sounds like you need to boondock far, far from others.
No different than a barking dog, some guy smoking a cigar or big reefer or yelling at the kids. All kinds of things can be annoying.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
Old 01-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #6

Had a nice system in my Toy Hauler, almost exclusive boon docking so no flaming. Amps, crossovers, etc. To get good base you need power and 10"-12" woofer with low impedence filter. The trailer came with multiple amps but all on one set of outputs with no filter so woofer was not limited to lower frequencies. Since you're not a audio techy guy suggest a good boom box and maybe that aux. sub. But remember when you go outside you need a LOT more subwoofer power as the sound gets "lost".
Old 01-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

Wear earbuds. Or please don't camp next to me.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
Old 01-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEIGSX2 View Post
Hello ya'll. Newbie here first time posting. We recently upgraded from a 2011 rockwood mini lite 1809s to a 2019 freedom express 246rks. Started our camping life this year and we're loving it. Been to around 8 state and county parks here in florida. Space center area. Looking forward to extended trips in the next few years.
My question is: I like a nice sound system that has some boom :d. I don't want to annoy fellow campers but when i put on some credence or zz top i may want to crank it up a little when born on the bayou plays. I'm nowhere knowledgeable about the equipment, amps and watts and all but i'm sorta leaning towards a boom box that i can just bring outside. I'm handy enough to change the head unit inside but in order to play outside i'm not sure how to make the connection. Seems like a small stereo unit with detachable speaker is the simplest way. Suggestions and reccomendations are appreciated.
Thanx! Partsmanjohn
Not familiar with your particular RV, but some already come with outdoor speakers (mine did). You just have to change it play thru them. Mine works as A for the living room speakers, B for the bedroom speakers, and C for the outdoor speakers.

Have you verified you do not already have such?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Welcome to the forum partsmanjohn,

I see this was your first post.

By asking this question, you've opened a bit of a Pandora's Box here on the forum on noisy neighbors and you'll get some replies that might surprise you!

I'm not going to insult your knowledge/etiquette of being a good camping neighbor with your one post.

Many portable systems are perfectly fine for audiophiles looking for quality sound.
Often times the right selection of a Bluetooth speaker is all that is needed too.
Also consider Bluetooth headphones.

As wmtire mentioned, my factory outside speakers are ample for what we want to do but if you don't have that option, then some of the other things mentioned are worth looking at.

Best of luck to you and enjoy!
It's all about the journey!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 01-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
No different than a barking dog, some guy smoking a cigar or big reefer or yelling at the kids. All kinds of things can be annoying.

X2.........You got that right B and B
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Old 01-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #11

Just play your music loud enough so that the nearest camper can't hear it and then you are fine. If I am playing music outside, I walk to the nearest campsite. If I can hear it there, I turn it down until I can't.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #12
Multi-Slacker

Bluetooth headphones. Decent quality sound and you can crank it up all you like.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #13

Annoying loud music

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Some camp to get away from annoying things and some camp to BE the annoying thing.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Bluetooth headphones. Decent quality sound and you can crank it up all you like.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^
I love my classic rock loud but I choose to not force others to listen to it. Especially in a natural setting, like a state or national park campground. Bluetooth headphones are paired to the stereo and since they are cordless, I walk around freely.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 01-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #15
Site Team

Page 9 of the owners brochure says it does have two outdoor speakers:

http://www.coachmenrv.com/brochures/...ssbrochure.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:34 PM   #16
RV There Yet?

It looks like you might have outdoor speakers. you can upgrade these to something better if they are installed. if not, you could put an outlet (either 12V or 120V in your front storage bay for a stereo. you can also use a nice bluetooth or portable unit.

also, if you have any battery powered tools, most of those have some sort of portable stereo you can use with their batteries.

PS: Welcome!
Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #17
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Just play your music loud enough so that the nearest camper can't hear it and then you are fine. If I am playing music outside, I walk to the nearest campsite. If I can hear it there, I turn it down until I can't.
Just do that. Walk the perimeter of your site. If you can hear your music, then consider turning it down to the point where you cannot.

I use a bluetooth speaker for music and I just mind the direction of the speaker, as well as the volume. It's pretty easy to manage. I prefer the external speaker to my RV's outdoor speakers for that reason. I can easier manage it. The volume of my speaker only has to travel a few feet to my ears, whereas my RV's speakers are often 10-30 yards from where I'm sitting.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
Old 01-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Just do that. Walk the perimeter of your site. If you can hear your music, then consider turning it down to the point where you cannot.

I use a bluetooth speaker for music and I just mind the direction of the speaker, as well as the volume. It's pretty easy to manage. I prefer the external speaker to my RV's outdoor speakers for that reason. I can easier manage it. The volume of my speaker only has to travel a few feet to my ears, whereas my RV's speakers are often 10-30 yards from where I'm sitting.

Good luck.
Yep...we do the same, have a Bluetooth speaker if we aren't sitting directly in front of our camper's speakers. Typically, the campfire ring is nowhere near our camper. That's when the Bluetooth speakers come out.

We also have a portable Sirius receiver that we bring outside as well and hook that up to a USB battery. It also hooks up to the Bluetooth speaker but with a cord. Great for listening to football or baseball games.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #19
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I like the self-contained, rugged units like this one. Sometimes I bluetooth off the trailers on-board system where I have an SD chip loaded with my 1,000 most favorite songs or I bluetooth it to my cell phone for iTunes. You can never hear Ozzy's Crazy Train or AC/DC Thunderstruck enough. Especially at midnight under a full moon and after a few six packs. Just kiddin'.

Link to Sams Club: Monster Rockin' Roller 4 Bluetooth Speaker $160
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
Old 01-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Wear earbuds. Or please don't camp next to me.
I'm with you, I was at an Iowa state campground once and the the neighbor to my driver side was playing music loud enough several campgrounds all different ways could hear it, several other campers asked him to turn it down and he refused, well that was a mistake on his part, I looped classical and rap music same several songs over and over, put my outdoor speaker on the back side of my camper and let'er go, then went out on the boat when I got back they were gone, this would have gone on all weekend if it had to. I might add his wife was not very happy with him either. One of the other neighbors said they powered down the speaker once they left.
Closed Thread