Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
MI Camperz

Booth dinette vs. Table and chairs

I have never owned table and chairs in an RV. Sometimes, judging by pictures, it looks like pulling the chairs out to get in might be tricky as there isn't much room (usually a wall or sofa butting up). Is that anyone's experience? I've only had the booths where you just slide in. Any other thoughts about this? Considering this option on next purchase, but very iffy about it..plus, losing storage.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Click image for larger version

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	33022

Thanks for any input. I would think the advantage is easy to replace or restore.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #2

We have the table and chairs in our Wildwood and Like it a lot. Space does not seem to be a problem and we love having all the windows around the Table.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
Alleged curmudgeon

I concur with H Pyke. We really like the table and chairs in our Windjammer and would buy the same again if purchasing today. (A booth is a little too tight for my girth and, contrary to the appearance, it is not hard getting in and out of the chairs IMO.) I sometimes use the table for a little work while camping, and this setup mimmicks a desk much better than a booth for me. To me, the biggest trade-off is the loss of sleeping capacity and, as you already suggested, the loss of storage. I guess, like most floor plan issues, it is really just a matter of personal preference, primarily based on what's comfortable to you and how you use your rig.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
Campfire Master

We have the tables and chairs for the first time also. I thought the lose of storage would be an issue, but it's not. Since it's just the DW and I. I removed two of the chairs and turned the table sideways. That way we can both look out the window when at the table. Most of the time we eat outside anyways.

John
Old 06-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #5

We has a booth dinette in our previous popup, hybrid, and TT. The storage under the seat was nice. We have the table/chairs in our 5th wheel and like it better because the table extends giving us more surface area when needed. Also the chairs can be moved elsewhere in the camper if more seating is required. There is some storage under each seat as well as under 1/2 the table, the part that doesn't extend. Each option has its +'s and -'s. You just gotta decide which one is best for you.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #6

We had a booth dinette in our previous two fifth wheels and I thought I would miss the storage space when we bought the Silverback with table and chairs. Not so. I really like being able to put the table leaf in and extend the length. It is also more comfortable sitting at the table rather than sitting in a booth.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Pyke View Post
We have the table and chairs in our Wildwood and Like it a lot. Space does not seem to be a problem and we love having all the windows around the Table.
X2 and I agree with Vern. We have the table and chairs in our 5th wheel and like it a lot. We debated floor plans with the dinette, but me being 6' tall, I never found one I felt comfortable in. I like the storage under the seats and 1/2 of the table itself. If I purchased again, I would go with the table and chairs over the dinette.
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #8

We agree, chairs over the booth. We had a booth in last 2 fifths, and yes you get storage but a booth is no where near as comfortable as table when you have guests. The table extending is a real plus and like others have said you have chairs to move around for extra seating. You have to decide what works for you. Good luck and enjoy camping.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #9

We had the table/chair option in our 2012 Rockwood 2604 and, as you suggested, that one was a little tight, sandwiched in between the couch and the wall. But when we bought the Windjammer 3008W, it is just enough longer that using the table and chairs does not feel tight. Plus, the atrium windows in the slide are great. After years of having dinettes in boats, the table / chair option makes the tt feel more like "home". We would do it again, but that's kind of a moot issue, since we won't be trading again anytime soon.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
ďIt's not how old you are, it's how you are old.ĒJules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
We would do it again, but that's kind of a moot issue, since we won't be trading again anytime soon.
Famous last words.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote