Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #21

In Ontario and others I believe the move over law says "Emergency Vehicles". It's still a good practice to move over for any stopped vehicle; a kid may run out, could be a loose dog, door flying open, etc., etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HESN22 View Post
Where did you buy from please? Ontario has a law that you must move over, if possible, or slow down when passing a vehicle(s) that is pulled over regardless of flashing lights or not ... $485 fine, I believe ...
Fox Trot LED Dash Light | Deck & Visor Lights | Extreme Tactical Dynamics

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #23

Here's the text from the Ontario Ministry of Transport about moving over for "Emergency Vehicles". If you're not driving a tow truck, you'd better not have flashing Amber lights. Check out the truth before broadcasting superstitions.

"When approaching any emergency vehicle that is stopped with its red, or red and blue, lights flashing or a tow truck with its amber lights flashing in the same direction of your travel, you are required to reduce the speed of your vehicle and proceed with caution."

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 04-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #24

Bright Amber Flashing Lights

Where does that text say that you can not have Amber flashing lights? Aren't most vehicles equipped with flashing Amber lights stock as in turn signals? I understand where you were getting at with don't broadcast laws of Ontario without reading the and quoting the facts which I agree with but at the same time you say don't have flashing Amber lights but what you posted does not support that statement.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 PM   #25

On another note, here in the states flashing Amber lights are widely used by more than emergency vehicles. I work for a utility company and all of our vehicles are equipped with strobe style Amber lights that we are instructed to use when ever we are stopped in unsafe conditions. So they are. It just reserved for emergency and safety vehicles.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #26

Flashing amber lights

My first post was to show that the move over rule (in Canada) applies to "Emergency Vehicles" only.

The following is the regulations in British Columbia concerning Flashing Amber Lights. Apparently 'you need a permit' showing that you specifically require the lights. So it seems that it's not a great idea to be spending money on a gadget that will attract tickets from the troopers.

http://www.cvse.ca/flashing_amber/Fl...March_2012.pdf
Old 04-29-2016, 12:03 AM   #27

Well, I did not mean to cause a battle of the 'Amber Light Police' and I wonder how many in law enforcement would give me a ticket because I stuck one, via suction cups, on the side of my disabled RV while on the side of the road.

My plan is simple. I bought the light to keep in my TV. I'm not mounting it to my TV or my 5ver. If and when I find me and my DW broke down along the highway I am going to get it out and slap it on the side of my RV if I have to wait there or replace a flat tire. If law enforcement shows up and gives me a ticket for being safe, then so be it. Better to be safe than dead.

I guess I could see it being a problem if I mounted a flashing Amber light to my TV and used it all the time but that is not the plan.

I hope I never have to use it so that is how often I plan to use it.

If you are concerned you might get a ticket for being safe then don't buy one of these gadgets.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:38 AM   #28
Who Dares, Wins

That's just it... Use some not so common sense and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #29
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
That's just it... Use some not so common sense and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
And we have a winner folks!!!

Sad thing is you are right about the "not so common common sense" these days

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #30

My take would be to use this (when required) regardless of the ticket concern. Sometimes it is not possible to get to a pullout or other safe area (exit) or even have a shoulder area, or to do so without increasing danger to others and yourself by continuing. I fully believe in having some (any) type of unusual 'noticeable" light and carry one of one type of another in my car, RV and motorcycles. AND finally don't rely blindly on the warning lights effect to get other drivers to slow and or move over, in the end it is YOUR life you are responsible to protect
Old 04-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I had a blowout a little while back on the Interstate and noticed while waiting for the roadside service to show up that not many drivers moved to the left lane while passing our RV on the side of the road. When the roadside service truck showed more vehicles, not all, moved over to the left lane. The truck had the amber flashing lights. I know when I see Amber flashing lights I try to move to the left lane. In some states it is the law but it always should be a courtesy if possible.

So I got to thinking about adding some Amber flashing lights to my RV. I did some research and came up with this... Fox Trot LED Dash Light | Deck & Visor Lights | Extreme Tactical Dynamics

I got mine today and am pretty impressed with it. It has a plug to plug into a cigarette lighter and suction cups so I can stick it on the side of my RV. It has 26 different flashing patterns and is bright. I bought an alligator to cigarette lighter adapter so I can connect it to the battery in my RV or just plug into the TV if I have a problem with it. Hopefully it will get some drivers attention and they will give a courtesy pass if I'm disabled along the side of the road. Check it out, plus it is on sale now..

PS.. Don't buy red or blue as those are for police or emergency vehicles..
Hope it comes with amber lens. Red and Blue are restricted to certain emergency vehicles and police.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGUY View Post
Hope it comes with amber lens. Red and Blue are restricted to certain emergency vehicles and police.
Yes it does come with Amber which is what I purchased..

Old 04-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #33

In Arizona, the law says to move left or slow down for ANY vehicle pulled off the side of the road with their flashers on. Sadly, they don't post it very often, and the majority of freeways here are in remote areas. Also, too many people pull over and do not engage their emergency flashers. We always pull over if we can do so safely, flashing lights or not.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:17 AM   #34

I have been a law enforcement officer for almost 20 years now. First, state statutes vary from state to state regarding flashing lights & colors allowed. Second, at least in my opinion, safety is paramount. If someone is on the side of the road at night and utilizing flashing amber light(s) in conjunction with red flashing hazard brake lights, the thought of citing them would not cross my mind. Just my 2 cents.
kdp1897 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light