Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 11:41 PM   #1

Bright Amber Flashing Lights

I had a blowout a little while back on the Interstate and noticed while waiting for the roadside service to show up that not many drivers moved to the left lane while passing our RV on the side of the road. When the roadside service truck showed more vehicles, not all, moved over to the left lane. The truck had the amber flashing lights. I know when I see Amber flashing lights I try to move to the left lane. In some states it is the law but it always should be a courtesy if possible.

So I got to thinking about adding some Amber flashing lights to my RV. I did some research and came up with this... Fox Trot LED Dash Light | Deck & Visor Lights | Extreme Tactical Dynamics

I got mine today and am pretty impressed with it. It has a plug to plug into a cigarette lighter and suction cups so I can stick it on the side of my RV. It has 26 different flashing patterns and is bright. I bought an alligator to cigarette lighter adapter so I can connect it to the battery in my RV or just plug into the TV if I have a problem with it. Hopefully it will get some drivers attention and they will give a courtesy pass if I'm disabled along the side of the road. Check it out, plus it is on sale now..

PS.. Don't buy red or blue as those are for police or emergency vehicles..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #2
(Dry Huunday)

Not a bad price on that either!
I currently carry the reflective triangles and a reflective vest.....sometimes I think you need flags, lights, sirens, bullhorns, hand grenades to get some peoples attention!

FYI- NC has the move over law for all emergency and public service vehicles with lights flashing.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I had a blowout a little while back on the Interstate and noticed while waiting for the roadside service to show up that not many drivers moved to the left lane while passing our RV on the side of the road. When the roadside service truck showed more vehicles, not all, moved over to the left lane. The truck had the amber flashing lights. I know when I see Amber flashing lights I try to move to the left lane. In some states it is the law but it always should be a courtesy if possible.

So I got to thinking about adding some Amber flashing lights to my RV. I did some research and came up with this... Fox Trot LED Dash Light | Deck & Visor Lights | Extreme Tactical Dynamics

I got mine today and am pretty impressed with it. It has a plug to plug into a cigarette lighter and suction cups so I can stick it on the side of my RV. It has 26 different flashing patterns and is bright. I bought an alligator to cigarette lighter adapter so I can connect it to the battery in my RV or just plug into the TV if I have a problem with it. Hopefully it will get some drivers attention and they will give a courtesy pass if I'm disabled along the side of the road. Check it out, plus it is on sale now..

Actually I think you will find that "slow down (no room to move over) OR move over" has been adopted as the rule and it typically does not extend to stranded motorists. Moving to another lane is strictly a courtesy move and I do it when I can. Emergency, police and road crews are often mentioned as candidates for this action. Your amber lights will buy you nothing in regards to this issue. Your emergency flashers already provide the most courtesy you will probably receive. It's the type of vehicle that determines what is required and typically the type of vehicle can be recognized by its flashers but even if the flashers are not operating on those vehicles the afore mentioned action could still be required. There are always variations to any adopted rule. JMO
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Actually I think you will find that "slow down (no room to move over) OR move over" has been adopted as the rule and it typically does not extend to stranded motorists. Moving to another lane is strictly a courtesy move and I do it when I can. Emergency, police and road crews are often mentioned as candidates for this action. Your amber lights will buy you nothing in regards to this issue. Your emergency flashers already provide the most courtesy you will probably receive. It's the type of vehicle that determines what is required and typically the type of vehicle can be recognized by its flashers but even if the flashers are not operating on those vehicles the afore mentioned action could still be required. There are always variations to any adopted rule. JMO
Bubbles.. You may be right but it will definitely help get people's attention when buzzing down the highway. Emergency flashers are not very bright in the daylight and don't strobe like these lights do. I'm sure some people will pull over but I've notice some people don't pull over even when it is a police car.

At night, I don't think people will be able to tell if I'm a stranded vehicle/RV or a service truck. Anyway, anything that makes me more visible along the highway is a plus and the price is very reasonable.

Next time your cruising down the highway just notice how quick strobe flashing yellow lights get your attention.... Heck, it could even be me

Old 04-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #5

Quote:

STOP!!!

You guys are killing me. I don't even have my trailer yet, and my list is nine miles long! SS just goes so far, guys! GEEZ@@!!

P.S.
This does seem like a great idea!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
STOP!!!

You guys are killing me. I don't even have my trailer yet, and my list is nine miles long! SS just goes so far, guys! GEEZ@@!!

P.S.
This does seem like a great idea!!!
I didn't say you HAD to buy it... But it is a nice strobe/flasher setup... Just saying... LOL

When do you get your trailer?

Old 04-27-2016, 04:16 PM   #7

Quote:
I didn't say you HAD to buy it... But it is a nice strobe/flasher setup... Just saying... LOL

When do you get your trailer?
No, you didn't say I had to buy it. But safety is important and I can see this would be great.

I don't know. It was supposed to hit the conveyor belt Monday! No word. Not sure. I suspect it will be end of May before I can go get it.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 04-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
No, you didn't say I had to buy it. But safety is important and I can see this would be great.

I don't know. It was supposed to hit the conveyor belt Monday! No word. Not sure. I suspect it will be end of May before I can go get it.
Good luck, I know you can't wait..

I noticed your tag line and know you will get a kick out of this video if you have not seen it....

http://youtu.be/UE6GrJr6oVg

Old 04-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Good luck, I know you can't wait..

I noticed your tag line and know you will get a kick out of this video if you have not seen it....

http://youtu.be/UE6GrJr6oVg
LOL

That goofy guy standing in the water is scaring all the fish away.

And if the Good Lord had not wanted me to eat fish, he wouldn't have invented corn meal and lard!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 04-27-2016, 05:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Bubbles.. You may be right but it will definitely help get people's attention when buzzing down the highway. Emergency flashers are not very bright in the daylight and don't strobe like these lights do. I'm sure some people will pull over but I've notice some people don't pull over even when it is a police car.

At night, I don't think people will be able to tell if I'm a stranded vehicle/RV or a service truck. Anyway, anything that makes me more visible along the highway is a plus and the price is very reasonable.

Next time your cruising down the highway just notice how quick strobe flashing yellow lights get your attention.... Heck, it could even be me
And because they are not standard (approved) equipment for your vehicle/trailer etc. and at night you may also attract law enforcement attention and be subject to fines in some jurisdictions. I'm done.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
And because they are not standard (approved) equipment for your vehicle/trailer etc. and at night you may also attract law enforcement attention and be subject to fines in some jurisdictions. I'm done.
I hope the law does show up..their lights would get attention!

Fine? Wonder how Walmart gets by selling this?.... 12-Volt Strobe Light with Magnetic Mount Amber Lens - Walmart.com

Obviously bubbles, strobe lights are not for you...

Old 04-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Not getting into the argument, I do not care what one does (not saying it is a bad idea OP so do not take it the wrong way).. But in PA the lights would be illegal to use.

FYI Walmart sells a lot of things that are not legal to put on a car, at least here in PA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Walmart sells Cell Phone in Canada, Illegal to use in the car in Ontario while driving. As far as lights, common sense prevails I believe as to use and location of the light.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Walmart sells Cell Phone in Canada, Illegal to use in the car in Ontario while driving. As far as lights, common sense prevails I believe as to use and location of the light.
So, do y'all walk when in the car?

I'm kidding........that was one of those Faux Pas typos that makes it funny.

Not sure I'd be in PA, but I might........think I'll skip the blinking amber lights.........for now.

EDIT: Even funnier (on ME) is that I didn't even see the "IN".........and now I do.

Less drinkie, more sleepie.........sorry!!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 04-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #15

HarborFright has the triangles with built in batt powered flashing leds.I picked up 4 of them but Ive never used them.I think they were $3 each.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #16
Land of the Midnightsun

Bubbles is absolutely right. Your first mistake was pulling over on side of Hwy, drag your flat tire and your self off Hwy at next exit. You'll die on side of Hwy
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #17
Site Team

Just this week Georgia added tow trucks and other roadside workers, usually with Amber lights, to the states "Pull Over or Slow Down" law. Way too many tow truck operators and other folks being run over. Now if they would just enforce the cell phone usage laws...
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #18

Quote:
I hope the law does show up..their lights would get attention!

Fine? Wonder how Walmart gets by selling this?.... 12-Volt Strobe Light with Magnetic Mount Amber Lens - Walmart.com

Obviously bubbles, strobe lights are not for you...
Any vehicle operated on the roads of GA that don't meet highway automotive standards [golf carts, tractors and ATVs] are required to display a flashing amber light and an orange triangle on the rear. This qualifies them as "Farm Vehicles". It's illegal to NOT have them.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #19

Bubble lights, like the one shown sold at Walmart, are used in most private plow vehicles in most states. Most states have laws against any colored lights other than white on the front (Amber for turn signals) and red on the back (Amber for turn signals and white for reverse) but people have blue tinted head lights, or neon underbody lights. If a police office did stop because of your flashing Amber strobe style lights most any officer would understand why you did it and stand by while you completed your tire change or wait for your toe truck to help maintain your safety. Remember, police are people too and a lot of them toe campers and drove rvs just like us.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #20
Another adventure awaits!

Where did you buy from please? Ontario has a law that you must move over, if possible, or slow down when passing a vehicle(s) that is pulled over regardless of flashing lights or not ... $485 fine, I believe ...

Tags
light