Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #1

Budget TPMS! need an SUV :)

So i wanted to share what has worked for me, to have a TPMS on a budget. I know how valuable these are but couldn't afford the few hundred dollars for the ones that are highly recommend on this site just yet. My set up is a Grey wolf 26 DJSE towed with a Dodge Durango R/T.

I found one that was really meant for cars on Amazon for $50 (at the time). *some reviews said it worked for folks with trailers, so it sounded like it had decent range regardless.

https://www.amazon.com/Fullele-Wirel...ct_top?ie=UTF8

The distance the unit would work reliably according to the description was around 8M, which from my rear tires was right around the middle of my vehicle. What was important for me was select-able PSI and temp alarms and a good audible warning - i set the unit up and use the 12v outlet in the back of my Durango, which is right inside the rear door in the cargo area. Most SUVs have one back there. While i can't see the numbers going down the road, i don't need to. I just need to hear the alarm if the psi drops or the temp soars, and I can hear it all the way from the back. I have used it on a few trips and do note the readings when stopping for gas or breaks and it definitely has been working. It also has a warning when it can't read a sensor, and I have never heard it when in motion with my setup.

Hope this helps someone in my situation.
Equal-i-zer 1k/10k
Kacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #2

Have you tried it in your dash outlet to determine if it will maintain communication from there?
Paul

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B D HOWie View Post
Have you tried it in your dash outlet to determine if it will maintain communication from there?
Paul
Great question !!!

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #4

haha, you know i thought about this after i posted that I should have tried all the way up front but sadly the answer is no. Between my back up cam, cell phones, and kid's tablets my forward and second row 12v ports are at a premium, which is actually another reason i use the cargo 12v.

Next time out i will try, and dig up this post and let you know... but that might not be till next season at this point
Equal-i-zer 1k/10k
Kacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacz View Post
haha, you know i thought about this after i posted that I should have tried all the way up front but sadly the answer is no. Between my back up cam, cell phones, and kid's tablets my forward and second row 12v ports are at a premium, which is actually another reason i use the cargo 12v.

Next time out i will try, and dig up this post and let you know... but that might not be till next season at this point

I know what you mean when it comes to power adapter plug in space. I found that many of my devices were pulling little or no current so we got a four socket adapter https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagan-4-W...&wl13=&veh=sem keeping in mind that not all eggs should be in one basket. So far, so good.

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms