Old 08-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
Sham183

Buh bye old table legs hello new!

Well since day one I have absolutely hated the old dinette table leg contraption from hell! So I got some 29" pedestal legs and I am installing them instead. My progress so far is going good. Had a little hiccup with one area and didn't switch my drill bit for the pre drill and split a small area but easy fix. Only other issue was I drilled a little to far on one hole and whoops now I have a small drain hole in the table top. It adds character . As my progress continues I will update but it's been a fun mod. To do so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3322.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	561.0 KB
ID:	149528

Name:	IMG_3323.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	149529

Tim

Old 08-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #2

Nothing like going your own way ~~

To repair the hole, go to Walmart, back where the glues are located for home & auto, look hanging up on a card for the J B Brand of putty. Comes in Steel, wood, plastic & water ~ get the 1 for wood. You cut off only a small amount, kneed it together & put in the hole (you have maybe 5 minutes).
I live quite a ways off in the boonies, so keep all 4 handy, also carry some in tool kit when on the road.

Use Gorilla glue for the crack and clamp together! If you can't clamp it, put in the glue ~ place wax paper over the area and pull tight with a ratchet strap, the paper is just there to catch glue squeeze out.

Show us when completed, Please ~~

Old 08-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Nothing like going your own way ~~

To repair the hole, go to Walmart, back where the glues are located for home & auto, look hanging up on a card for the J B Brand of putty. Comes in Steel, wood, plastic & water ~ get the 1 for wood. You cut off only a small amount, kneed it together & put in the hole (you have maybe 5 minutes).

I live quite a ways off in the boonies, so keep all 4 handy, also carry some in tool kit when on the road.

Use Gorilla glue for the crack and clamp together! If you can't clamp it, put in the glue ~ place wax paper over the area and pull tight with a ratchet strap, the paper is just there to catch glue squeeze out.

Show us when completed, Please ~~

Well the crack is only in the mounting blocks I made so I'm to worried about that. I have the clamp on it as you can see in the one picture. As for the hole I will look for that stuff tomorrow at Walmart. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
Well since day one I have absolutely hated the old dinette table leg contraption from hell! So I got some 29" pedestal legs and I am installing them instead. My progress so far is going good. Had a little hiccup with one area and didn't switch my drill bit for the pre drill and split a small area but easy fix. Only other issue was I drilled a little to far on one hole and whoops now I have a small drain hole in the table top. It adds character . As my progress continues I will update but it's been a fun mod. To do so far.

Attachment 149528

Attachment 149529

Tim
Good luck with your project. I feel your frustration with the table legs. There is only the DW and I (plus a 12 lb. dog) and fighting the legs when getting in/out of the booth dinette was a hassle. So I ended up doing this...got a new table top from Ikea and attached it to an adjustable bar stool (after removing the bar stool seat).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-07-16 12.39.51.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	149549  

2016 Nights Camped = 31
2017 Nights Camped = 59
pppitiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #5

Tables seem to be an issue!

I have an a-frame popup. The table is mounted on one the wall via a railing and the other end has an adjustable height leg. Well, the railing screws ripped out of the wall after our 4th camping trip so we put a bead of silicone alone it to help hold it. After camping in an area with high humidity, the silicone decided that it wasn't going to stick to the wall paper. Any suggestions on how to get this table sturdy again? So far, I am thinking that a pedestal mount might be the way to go!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspanky View Post
I have an a-frame popup. The table is mounted on one the wall via a railing and the other end has an adjustable height leg. Well, the railing screws ripped out of the wall after our 4th camping trip so we put a bead of silicone alone it to help hold it. After camping in an area with high humidity, the silicone decided that it wasn't going to stick to the wall paper. Any suggestions on how to get this table sturdy again? So far, I am thinking that a pedestal mount might be the way to go!

The reason you just stated was the main reason I did not choose to do this option. As far as a repair for yours I think some type of filler like silicone or epoxy might be the answer. The pedestals only cost me $30 for the pair and have really only taken about a hour or so to get to the point you see in the picture. Some of that time was also spent looking for my other battery that seems to be MIA. But all I have left is to attach it to the floor of the TT and I should be good to go. I plan on doing the floor mounting tonight. I just wanted the glue to have time to cure. It's not a hard project to do just have a few hours set aside and have fun.

Tim
Old 08-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #7

be sure to check what you have located below the floor where you intend to screw it down. especially if there are tanks, water lines, gas lines, or if your table is on a slide floor.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLE View Post
be sure to check what you have located below the floor where you intend to screw it down. especially if there are tanks, water lines, gas lines, or if your table is on a slide floor.

Excellent point. I have not looked under yet but I will make sure to do that. Thanks
Old 08-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppitiful View Post
Good luck with your project. I feel your frustration with the table legs. There is only the DW and I (plus a 12 lb. dog) and fighting the legs when getting in/out of the booth dinette was a hassle. So I ended up doing this...got a new table top from Ikea and attached it to an adjustable bar stool (after removing the bar stool seat).
How low can your table go? Can you lower it down to the supports and still make a bed out of the dinette?

'09 BMW X5 xDrive35D (TV)
'05 Porsche Cayenne (Wife's)
'15 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB (TT)
MudyOvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #10
Sham183

Yes, you just have to lift it off the pedestals. That's really the only downfall to doing this. But the hassle the old setup was I think it a fair trade off plus it is a little lighter of a table.