Old 02-25-2015, 06:14 AM   #11
Originally Posted by PMickey View Post
Started putting parts on for a bumper that should hold my stuff. Over the past 2 years owning my Solaire 317 BHSK, I have been hauling a bike rack with 3 bikes and a full size Chargriller charcoal grill. The bumper was showing signs of fatigue to say the least. It was bending where I had the bolts holding on the bike rack. Bad enough my sewer hose will no longer fit. I actually lost the bike rack once due to broken u-bolts. I decided it was time for a change. I decided to go with 3/16" square steel tube for the bumper and 4" angle cut down to make my brackets. All secured with 5/8" grade 8 bolts. The 2"x4" bumper braces were still in great shape and so were the welds. I decided to keep these and added 3, 3/8" grade 8 bolts to either side through the brace and the I-beam just to give some added security. My placement was 2 on one side of the beam and one on the other. See the photos for the progress so far. Brackets made and bolted on. Just have to drill and bolt on the bumper. After painting of course.
Attachment 69377Attachment 69378Attachment 69380Attachment 69381

2013 Solaire Eclipse 317BHSK 2009 Denali XL Tow Vehicle with Equalizer distribution and sway control
Not advocating the mod. Looking at picture with the open frame end channel. Are there spacers preventing you from crushing the channel? Even some black pipe would work to prevent failure.

B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:38 AM   #12
Bumper finished with stuff installed. Made my first trip last week and checked at each stop for anything to throw up a red flag. Here is a pic with my stuff on while on the Ocracoke-Hatteras ferry. What is not shown is a strap going from the rack to the rear frame cross bar. I added that to help reduce the bounce of the rack. Before loading up and going I actually climbed up on the bike rack and jumped up and down. I had my neighbor looking at the attachment points at the frame and anywhere else there could be some flex. The only flex point is at the bike rack itself. It's flexing where it goes into the reciever at the coupler. The strap really helped with that too. I will definitely keep an eye on it, but I think I have it structurally sound. I know there will be some negative comments about this as there have been many accidents with bumper mounted bikes. Please look at all the mods done before posting a simple "this isn't going to end good" statement. I have done tons of research and even talked with one member about his mods and concerns to make sure I addressed all the weak points and reasons for failure. If there are any questions please ask. Hope this helps someone looking for a solution. Also posted is a pic of just how tight parking is on a ferry. The ferry guys are great at guiding you on first and off last to avoid any Scrapes or bumps with other cars. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428927866.796497.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	74086Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428928590.185407.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	74088Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428928607.383977.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	74089

2013 Solaire Eclipse 317BHSK 2009 Denali XL Tow Vehicle with Equalizer distribution and sway control

PMickey is offline   Reply With Quote