Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

With bikes it looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes 020.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	23426  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #22

Camper bumper - NO. Rear opening toy hauler bumper - Yes Toy hauler bumbers are heavy duty beasts used to support the ramp/rear wall and are attached at several points and are NOT used to store waste pipes (corrosion) like camper bumpers.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

With the proliferation of Lite and Ultra-Lite campers, frame and bumper strength as a function of "overkill" has resulted in a frame that "does the job" as shipped, but not a whole lot more.

Modifications that go beyond the designed intent need to be carefully thought out because the OEM frame may not be capable of supporting the designed life expectancy after the modification.

For example, adding weight at the very rear of a camper not planned for in the placement of the trailer axles, can result in frame flex beyond that which can be sustained for the planned life expectancy (frame flex cycles).

This also applies to camper/TV GVWR as well.

To get some idea of what frame flexing does to the metal of the frame, a coiled metal paper clip will give you some idea. (This is a great exercise while watching paint dry or listening to the In-Laws explain your faults).

Open up the paper clip so it is a straight as you can get it. Holding the ends, flex the paperclip back and forth VERY slightly. The idea is not to bend the paper clip at all, just flex it. Count the bends and when it snaps, record the number of times you flexed it and where the paper clip broke. (Repeat this exercise as many times as it takes until they shut up.)

After a bit you will come to realize that the location of the break is pretty random, but the number of flexes is pretty constant (provided your flexes were pretty constant). The larger the flex transients; the sooner the break.

You will also realize listening to the In-Laws was not so bad after all while doing this research.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
With bikes it looks like this
Herk - any issues with motors temps increasing with the bikes up there? I had thought about that route initially but wasn't sure how much it would disrupt airflow.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
Herk - any issues with motors temps increasing with the bikes up there? I had thought about that route initially but wasn't sure how much it would disrupt airflow.
Not motor temps. The diesel seemed to keep things well under control.
I did experience a few degrees on transmission temp increase (worse about 5) over what I would normally get under similar towing circumstances. The auxiliary transmission cooler is located low on the front near the bike pedals, so that makes sense.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #26
Phat Phrog

Quote:
With the proliferation of Lite and Ultra-Lite campers, frame and bumper strength as a function of "overkill" has resulted in a frame that "does the job" as shipped, but not a whole lot more.

Modifications that go beyond the designed intent need to be carefully thought out because the OEM frame may not be capable of supporting the designed life expectancy after the modification.

For example, adding weight at the very rear of a camper not planned for in the placement of the trailer axles, can result in frame flex beyond that which can be sustained for the planned life expectancy (frame flex cycles).

This also applies to camper/TV GVWR as well.

To get some idea of what frame flexing does to the metal of the frame, a coiled metal paper clip will give you some idea. (This is a great exercise while watching paint dry or listening to the In-Laws explain your faults).

Open up the paper clip so it is a straight as you can get it. Holding the ends, flex the paperclip back and forth VERY slightly. The idea is not to bend the paper clip at all, just flex it. Count the bends and when it snaps, record the number of times you flexed it and where the paper clip broke. (Repeat this exercise as many times as it takes until they shut up.)

After a bit you will come to realize that the location of the break is pretty random, but the number of flexes is pretty constant (provided your flexes were pretty constant). The larger the flex transients; the sooner the break.

You will also realize listening to the In-Laws was not so bad after all while doing this research.
I love learning from you Lou! And your humor keeps it fun!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #27
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
People are always looking to the rear when the front of the tow vehicle works just fine if not better.
I installed a receiver on the front of my Silverado for about $190 & 30 mins of time. No drilling required.
Works great for canoe rack, bike rack or one of those flat cargo racks.
Has a 500 lb weight limit.

You just have to remember when turning that you have an extra 2+ feet in front of you.
Been thinking about a front hitch for a long time, not to carry bikes, but for a cargo basket where I could store cargo bags, ice chest, deer I hit on the way to the campground, etc...!
Looks good

Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Been thinking about a front hitch for a long time, not to carry bikes, but for a cargo basket where I could store cargo bags, ice chest, deer I hit on the way to the campground, etc...!
Looks good
I tried to put my generator up there. The problem I ran into was how low the whole assembly was. The tray is at concrete tire bumper height and I could not see anything I was carrying. I could not even tell if it fell off (except for the unexplained bump - JK).

In the end, the generator stayed in the bed of the truck and the bikes moved between the front hitch when traveling and the back hitch on the camper when in camp. Yes, I did keep my RV bumper hitch installed. It serves two purposes.

A convenient place to store the bikes and bike carrier when in camp and it helps keep the RV bumper from deflecting so much from the spare tire carrier and the "Blue Boy" mount.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0518.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	23429   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0521.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	23430  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Looks good
I’ve done two trips with a 5600 watt generator in a basket.
You can’t tell from the picture but there’s about 9” between the gen & the grill.
The longest & first trip was 300 mile trip out Rt 80 in PA to the Allegheny National Forest last fall.
I kept an eagle eye on the engine & tranny temps & neither registered any higher than a normal pull with nothing up front.

I added two of snow plow marker poles from Tractor Supply so I could see the basket clearance while in the drivers seat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gen 1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	23431  
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #30

The snow plow marker poles are an excellant idea!

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #31
Site Team - Lou

I should have done the same thing.
At least I would feel a lot more comfortable about the generator not falling off.

How does that effect your trans temperature?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #32
Camper Less Camping

Thanks Herk7769 & 3 Happy Campers for the pics and tips!

Old 01-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I should have done the same thing.
At least I would feel a lot more comfortable about the generator not falling off.

How does that effect your trans temperature?
Oops sorry. I just re-read the last line of your post. Still a little loopy from the dental meds. Man, that surgery kicked my butt.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Oops sorry. I just re-read the last line of your post. Still a little loopy from the dental meds. Man, that surgery kicked my butt.
Want to talk about loopy, Had right ankle surgery a week ago. Can’t walk/drive for 8 weeks.
They gave me a big old bottle of Oxycodone. I have to turn the pc off when I’m about to take a dose.
I made a post on another forum the other day & the next day had no memory of doing it.
Luckily I kept it clean & it sounded like I knew what I was talking about!

Worst part of this whole thing is I can see the garage & basement doors but the DW won’t let me get close to them!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Not motor temps. The diesel seemed to keep things well under control.
I did experience a few degrees on transmission temp increase (worse about 5) over what I would normally get under similar towing circumstances. The auxiliary transmission cooler is located low on the front near the bike pedals, so that makes sense.
I might have to revisit that idea then. Currently in the summer when I'm towing my fans will run more than I'd like and I was afraid the front rack would increase that.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
I might have to revisit that idea then. Currently in the summer when I'm towing my fans will run more than I'd like and I was afraid the front rack would increase that.

With today’s computer controlled cars/trucks, at normal driving speeds your fan is not running at all.
The fan only kicks on below 20 mph +/-.
At highway speeds there’s more air being pushed through the radiator than a fan could ever possibly push/pull.
As long as you have enough open area for air to flow you shouldn’t realize any appreciable increase in your temperatures.

A bike rack or basket with a generator will not cause a problem IMHO. If you were to load the basket 3’ high end to end & then cover it with a trap I’d think you’d run into an issue with your temps.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #37

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Just recently viewed a bumper----------

Just recently viewed a "NEW ROCKWOOD" bumper with a shiny sticker stuck in plain view "DO NOT ATTACH ANYTHING TO THE BUMPER".

Those may not be the exact words, but pretty close! I was surprised to see the sticker.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
With today’s computer controlled cars/trucks, at normal driving speeds your fan is not running at all.
Mine will definitely run, often while towing. It is loud enough you have to speak up in the truck when conversing.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #39
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Just recently viewed a "NEW ROCKWOOD" bumper with a shiny sticker stuck in plain view "DO NOT ATTACH ANYTHING TO THE BUMPER".

Those may not be the exact words, but pretty close! I was surprised to see the sticker.
SID, I would kill for that photo!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #40

Quote:
SID, I would kill for that photo!
The reason I posted about the weight limit on the Rockwoods is because the stick was on the bumper of a 8314ss camper which was the same model I had but a few years newer and this was at the Timonium Fairground in Maryland during the RV show, and I do believe I posted that stick here on the forum....I will try to fine that post, but you may be able to find it quicker. The sticker mention a weight limit but it did not say anything about NOT using it at all.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack