Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #1

Bumper storage box

I’m looking to add some storage on the bumper for a generator box. Anyone have insight, experience ect? Thanks in advance
Bmeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

I have not done it but have seen some posts of people using truck tool boxes on the front of their TT's to gain extra room for additional batteries or genny's.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #3

Your profile does not list what kind of an RV you have, but if it is a tt or 5th wheel with a 4" square welded bumper, your bumper likely will not support the weight of a generator as you bounce down the road.

Better option might be to have a welding shop beef up the frame a bit, and install a 2" receiver. Then, install a carrier (available from Harbor Freight and many other places) and place the generator in a plastic storage box of some kind on that carrier. Cable lock the generator to the platform and strap the whole thing down with ratchet straps to keep it from bouncing/falling off the platform.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #4

I mounted this box on my back bumper
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but first I installed these supports https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-22-2019, 05:46 PM   #5

I was looking at the same exact setup. Have you had any problems?
Bmeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Your profile does not list what kind of an RV you have, but if it is a tt or 5th wheel with a 4" square welded bumper, your bumper likely will not support the weight of a generator as you bounce down the road.

Better option might be to have a welding shop beef up the frame a bit, and install a 2" receiver. Then, install a carrier (available from Harbor Freight and many other places) and place the generator in a plastic storage box of some kind on that carrier. Cable lock the generator to the platform and strap the whole thing down with ratchet straps to keep it from bouncing/falling off the platform.

Yes, unless you do it right.

Here's a picture of my rear bumper Generator install.

The actual platform (24" X 24") is designed to mount to a 4" bumper with brackets that keep the bumper from "racking" (turning from a square to a parallelogram) and I also added the Safe T Struts that keep the bumper from twisting at the point it is welded to the frame ends.

Both are available from Amazon probably cost less than what one would have fabricated at a welding shop.

Here are the two items at Amazon, Safe T Struts and Genny to go platform.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/Mount-n-Loc...omotive&sr=1-1

This had given me a nice looking, SOLID, support for my 3500 watt Champion Inverter and to make sure it stays mine I have secured it with a pair of Master "Python" cables around bumper, through hole in platform, and around lift handles, on both ends of generator.

In nasty weather I had a heavy duty tarp, 3' X 3' made and hold it up on air intake and exhaust end with two rods zip-tied to the ends of the lift handles. Nice and simple and works great. Tarp and rods store in trailer and a cover made specifically for the generator by Champion covers it while driving.

Generator is no noisier when running on the platform than any permanently mounted generator in a Class C.

This setup is great for Rest Stops if I want to use the microwave or AC. All I have to do is plug in cord and start generator. No more lifting required.

As for solid mounting, I weigh just under 200 lbs and if I stand on the platform and jump up and down, absolutely NO flex. Great design that provides strength without a lot of weight, kind of like an aircraft wing.

If one wants to build their own platform, this company sells just the support brackets without the top plate. Just add a piece of marine plywood or maybe diamond plate and you're covered.

If overall length is an issue, the top plate can be installed so it's directly even with the forward edge of the bumper. I wanted more room between genny and back wall of my trailer so I installed it "long" with the platform edge even with the back edge of the bumper. Adds 2' for when I ride a ferry boat and increases the fare but I never ride them so big deal.

BTW, the pic of my setup also includes a GenTuri exhaust. Cuts noise somewhat but makes sure any exhaust smell and CO is discharged above the trailer where it dissipates quickly in the breeze. I put the GenTuri up whenever in a campground with no hookups. When boondocking and nobody is near I just leave it off.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmeader View Post
I was looking at the same exact setup. Have you had any problems?

No problems except that the lid does not quite open all the way. I used two big u-bolts through the bottom of the box to mount it to the bumper (place one leg of the bolts as close to the back of the box as possible). The u-bolts are like the ones used to mount the spare tire. Also slid the spare tire further to the right to give me clearance as it was in the center.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #8

I have a Cherokee travel trailer 2018, it came with a fold down grate that the spare tire is hooked to so I can haul a cooler or bicycles. The other day I saw a trailer that had one of those but it was a full-size box with doors on it. Made out of the same material as my bumper grate. Does anybody know where I can get one of those. It’s as wide as the trailer over the bumper laying on the fold-down grate, this guy had a generator on one side and then other stuff in it. With the locking doors. I hope somebody knows where I can get one of these. I’ve looked everywhere. I do not want the generator boxes that are solid. I don’t want anything solid. I want to find this grate box.
TrixieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #9

No one?
Old 07-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #10

I added the safety struts and no probs. Bolted a receiver for the bike rake on bumper
Only prob on my rig is the bumper is right up to the body. Really hard to drill and tighten bolts without extensions.

2017 Mini Lite 2506S front kitchen

2018 GMC Sierra 1500
labcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #11

I’m looking for a box. I have the grated fold down for bikes and coolers. But I wanted a grated box to sit in it so I can put my generator in it.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #12

TrixieS, Is it possible that it was homemade?
Old 07-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #13

I have it on my dash cam. As soon as I find it I will post it. If it was homemade it was done really well.

Tags
storage