Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2017, 09:42 PM   #1

bunk bed area mod

We have found a couple of floor plans we like that are bunk house models. We don't need those and was wondering if anyone had converted that area into a office or "man cave"? I would like to have an area to maybe put recliner and tv for ballgame days. Anyone done it?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #2

I'm wondering the same, would like to remove the to double bunk for more headspace for lower bunk. Don't know if it needs to stay because of supporting the trailer or not. Would like more info 2017 263bhxl wildwood
karronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #3
Always Learning

Generally speaking, you can change the bunkhouse how you see fit. For us, our modifications were simple- we took out a sofa.

My issue is- with a bunkhouse, you usually end up with a compressed living area. I'm always jealous of the non-bunkhouse trailers that are for couples!
Old 10-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #4

We love our mid bunkhouse. I pulled the couch and replaced it with a couple of dog crates and plan on building a captain bunk on top of them for the grandson.
K4DCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Generally speaking, you can change the bunkhouse how you see fit. For us, our modifications were simple- we took out a sofa.

My issue is- with a bunkhouse, you usually end up with a compressed living area. I'm always jealous of the non-bunkhouse trailers that are for couples!
Here is a photo of the bunks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unit_photo_201611090709531080866799.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	154572  
Old 10-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4DCF View Post
We love our mid bunkhouse. I pulled the couch and replaced it with a couple of dog crates and plan on building a captain bunk on top of them for the grandson.
We have no use for upper bunk and would be easier for an elderly sleeping on lower bunk to get in and out without ducking head to get in and out. My concern is the support of the trailer that holds everything together.. oh, what to do
Old 10-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by karronb View Post
Here is a photo of the bunks

If it were me, I’d remove the upper.

If you’re uncomfortable with it- pull it out to where it’s just a 2x4 on the wall and put cross braces at the corners. Call them shelves.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by karronb View Post
We have no use for upper bunk and would be easier for an elderly sleeping on lower bunk to get in and out without ducking head to get in and out. My concern is the support of the trailer that holds everything together.. oh, what to do
If you are concerned about it being structural you could simply raise it higher as a large shelf. Remove the pad and have it a foot from the ceiling. It would give you the headroom you need and some extra storage and maintain any structural usage as well.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #9

That sounds like a good solution, hubby took screws out but plywood doesnt seem to want to come out. IDK maybe it's glued down too. Thanks for your idea
Old 01-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #10

@karronb

There is another user here that converted the side double bunks to single bunks. So not totally removed, but it's along that idea.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...es-129931.html

As lightweight as the bunks are i never thought about it being structural. I've thought about turning the rear bunkhouse to a man cave, when it's not needed anymore. But my upper bunks flip up, so not structural, and one lower is a split dinnet so not too structural.
Boondockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #11

There is a picture somewhere in this forum, where someone took the top bunk and cut the middle of it out leaving a three sided 12 inch shelf. Looked good and would give the support you desire if the top bunk was supporting anything
Moosey1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bunk