Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 11:16 PM   #1

Burglar seen hiding behind our trailer - need hitch lock rec

We have the Cherokee 274RK 2017 model, and I want to get a trailer hitch lock that covers the hitch receiver.

Anyone know which is a good one that fits our trailer?

I'd also appreciate any tips on security systems, security ideas, etc.

The Story --

I was driving down our alley after dark to check on the trailer whcih is parked in our driveway. I was one house away when I saw someone hiding behind our travel trailer. I stopped, backed away, and called 911. They got there super quick (2 minutes), but didn't find the guy. I saw his legs (black flip flops, white male, tattoo on right calf). He was likely looking for open cargo doors, trailer entry door, propane tanks, etc.

-2016 Forest River Cherokee 274rk
-pulled by 2011 Ford F-350 6.7l
metroplexchl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:29 AM   #2

I have this one. Not cheap at all but I don’t worry about someone easily hitching up and taking off.

https://www.provenlocks.com/

I also change the locks on my outside storage to cam locks since the vast majority use the same key.
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:11 AM   #3
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
I also change the locks on my outside storage to cam locks since the vast majority use the same key.

Ah, yes... that dastardly CH751 key. Gotta be millions of them out there.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:29 AM   #4

I use a TriMax lock. When I store the TT I remove the battery and i don't leave any personal items of value it the TT. I use a cable and lock to secure the propane tanks also.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #5
Lame *****

That is one lucky thug. You were much more compassionate than I am.

Locks only keep honest people honest. If a thug wants in their key of choice is usually some type of pry bar.

Maggot
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #6

Unfortunately a big screw driver or crowbar can defeat most locks on cargo compartments. When in storage, I remove all valuables from cargo compartments.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #7

Friend of ours had a break in at their seasonal site last year. They just kicked in the cargo door and took what they wanted. Kicking in a cargo door is probably easier than kicking in a cardboard box.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:03 AM   #8
Site Team

Motion activated lights.
LOUD door open alarm.
Hitch lock as previously mentioned.

Not a lot more you can do. The cost of a pried open cargo door repair can easily be more than what ever they stole from inside....
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #9

I have a military lock that I had when I retired. But now I'm sitting here wondering where the single key I have for it is located.
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Motion activated lights.
LOUD door open alarm.
Hitch lock as previously mentioned.

Not a lot more you can do. The cost of a pried open cargo door repair can easily be more than what ever they stole from inside....
Loud noise is probably best defense.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #11

having good insurance helps . otherwise nothing you can do locks are for keeping honest people honest . someone wants in their getting in .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #12

https://megahitchlock.com/product/on...er-hitch-lock/

I bought this for ours and use on my UTV trailer now

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #13

Storage Facility Security? I had my RV broken into and vandalized while at a National storage facility that had security cameras, electronic gate entry and surround razor fencing above iron fencing! Mine was one of three that were broken into. They broke 2 windows, entry door locks, kitchen faucet, threw everything from inside cupboards on the floor and bed. Stole all electronics, women's clothing, shoes, everything and anything they could pack into my cloth grocery bags. Cut themselves on the broken windows and left DNA, so are now serving 7 years in jail and restitution was ordered. Nothing showed on security cameras? Took over 3 months for repairs to the RV and a total feeling of violation lasted a long time. So be careful where you store your RV!
Gypsy Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #14

Theft

Not much you can do on the outside storage. I have used both Master and Trimax locks on the tongue. I prefer the Trimax because locksmiths have to special order the keys. I ran a retail store and if someone wants to cut the locks off, they can do it in about 30 seconds w/ cordless grinder. I had to move all my drink vending machines inside to prevent. If I had my TT at my home, I might look @ a motion detector system like Ring, sends picture to your phone. We use this for our home when traveling.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:58 AM   #15
NXR

We keep ours in the driveway, which is well-lit and have outdoor security cameras. On one side, the side facing the house. I have not figured out what to do for the other side. Even a camera on the corner of the house wouldn't see the far side. I'm thinking a camera inside the motorhome but that doesn't help with the driver side compartment doors. The "sound detected" alert probably would be too false positive prone. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:13 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray40 View Post
https://megahitchlock.com/product/on...er-hitch-lock/

I bought this for ours and use on my UTV trailer now

Yes, you do want to make it as time consuming as possible for a thief, so they may move on to the next victim. Removing the batteries so the hitch cannot be lowered is also a good deterrent, but for the light weight trailers (or with manual tongue jacks)...... your safety chains are all a thief needs access to in order to make a quick getaway. They can just loop the safety chains over the ball, and away they go. It takes like a minute in this video demonstration.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
We keep ours in the driveway, which is well-lit and have outdoor security cameras. On one side, the side facing the house. I have not figured out what to do for the other side. Even a camera on the corner of the house wouldn't see the far side. I'm thinking a camera inside the motorhome but that doesn't help with the driver side compartment doors. The "sound detected" alert probably would be too false positive prone. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ray
If you have a place for a trail cam, they work. We have them up around our property and good batteries will last about 6 months. Memory cards will hold thousands of still photos.

We had a vandalism to our property while we were away. Eggs were thrown at the front of the house. A house sitter called us and gave us an approximate date. On our return, the cameras gave us exact time, temperature, date of the incident, the culprit walking onto the property with an egg in his right hand and a carton of eggs in his left hand. The placement of the cameras caught his every move. Our 65 yr old neighbor ended up having egg on his face when the sheriff confronted him. We have not had a problem since.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:19 AM   #18
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
If you have a place for a trail cam, they work. We have them up around our property and good batteries will last about 6 months. Memory cards will hold thousands of still photos.

We had a vandalism to our property while we were away. Eggs were thrown at the front of the house. A house sitter called us and gave us an approximate date. On our return, the cameras gave us exact time, temperature, date of the incident, the culprit walking onto the property with an egg in his right hand and a carton of eggs in his left hand. The placement of the cameras caught his every move. Our 65 yr old neighbor ended up having egg on his face when the sheriff confronted him. We have not had a problem since.
Nice, that was just beautiful. When a City snowplow tore up our tree lawn (the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street for you non-Ohioans) they initially denied it and said there were no plows anywhere near us that part of the day. I emailed the clip from the Nest cameras catching the flying dirt and the damage was fixed in the Spring.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Woman View Post
<snip>Cut themselves on the broken windows and left DNA, so are now serving 7 years in jail and restitution was ordered.<snip>

How did that restitution work out? In WA back in the early 90's, I had a car stolen that was damaged. They got caught, paid the fine 1st, court costs second and *finally* almost 3 yrs later, the victim (me) got restitution (~$250). A check showed up in the mail and had to call the court as to what it was for as I had forgotten about it.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #20

I follow the mean dog and shotgun approach...
Jomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, lock, trailer