Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
Buying anothter TV for my 365SAQ 60HZ vs 120HZ

I am looking at getting a 37" LED for the back bedroom. The RV dealer told me to get one that is 120HZ and not 60HZ. He said that they preform better with a weaker signal. Does anyone have any expereance with this? There are not alot of options when you move up to 120HZ they are allot more expensive. I thought that the 120HZ were better for fast moving pictures like sports and video games.

cjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
They are, but it also depends on the Hz of the signal you are receiving. The TV may say 120 Hz, but the signal received may only be 60 Hz. I haven't seen a problem when watching Hi Def stations, the ones I get broadcast in 60Hz (as seen on the little info display in the corner of the screen). I guess you would really notice a difference watching blue ray, for HUGE difference I noticed is between AV cables, or component cable, and the HDMI cable. Use the HDMI, huge improvement.

Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, Entertainment: 3 Boys (24,22,20) and now girlfriends too, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross). Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Originally Posted by cjones View Post
He said that they preform better with a weaker signal.
I'd be curious to know what he means. For example a better TV can take a poor quality analog signal and clean it up; but now that OTA signals are digital I can't see it making a difference as far as better performance with a weaker signal. If he showed you a particular TV; and that TV's tuner was rated better at picking up signals- I could buy that.

It sounds to me like he is making up a feature in order to upsell you.

You are correct that 120 hz is better for fast action; and therefore a better TV to buy. However when shopping for a TV for my trailer I wasn't looking for high end features- I figure watching HD TV while camping; I can "rough it" with 60 hz. Then again- if your rig is more of a mobile cabin than a camper (meaning you watch a lot of TV)- go for it if you like the TV better.

And keep that in mind; no matter what the saleperson says- you will be the one watching it; so get the TV that you like best. When taking my mom TV shopping she couldn't see the difference between 60 and 120 hz; so it wasn't a buying factor.
Wolf Pup T16P owner

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote

365, 365saq