Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #1

Bye Bye Black tank - We installed a Separett (urine diverting) toilet.

We thought we would share a few pictures of our Separett toilet system. We're extremely pleased with the results. We are new full-timers with a new rig and the only way we were willing to go full time was to use a system that eliminated the blackwater tank problems and concerns. We have achieved that goal with the Separett toilet. If you have the space, this is the way to go. It should extend our boondocking capabilities. Thanks for reading!

David and Sarah Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180818_144433.jpeg
Views:	904
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	184275Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180818_144359.jpeg
Views:	912
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	184276Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180818_144416.jpeg
Views:	874
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	184277Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180710_181232.jpeg
Views:	895
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	184278
fleabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:47 PM   #2

How does it work or function?
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #3

Hello! The website we bought it from describes the system thoroughly. Thanks!

https://compostingtoiletsusa.com
Old 08-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Is it just a composting toilet?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #5

I wasn't aware there were problems and concerns with a black tank.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:55 AM   #6

No thanks, my black tank is fine....

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #7

Hi,

Reading that material, it is not clear to me where the partially composted solid waste will be safely and lawfully deposed of. (It can't be considered fully composted for 120 days, and evidently two people using the unit requires emptying every 2 weeks.) And the separated urine -- don't you still have to dump it somewhere every few days?

Not criticizing your decision, just puzzled about the mechanics of actual use.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Is it just a composting toilet?
Reading the information on the web site, it appears to not be a composting toilet, but rather a separating toilet with at least one storage item ( bag) to dispose of.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #9

Thanks , I'll keep my black tank . So much better then a composting toilet . your in for more of a pain then if you kept your black tank .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Thanks , I'll keep my black tank . So much better then a composting toilet . your in for more of a pain then if you kept your black tank .
Well, so far we like it. Also, I guess the title is misleading now that I think about it. We still have the black tank and it's used exclusively for diluted urine. Diluted because we "flush" with just a couple ounces of water after every use. We also rinse with a vinegar solution now and then. Our black tank is 45 gallons, so that will take a long time to fill.
If we find we don't like this system I can convert it back to original design in about an hour.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #11
code.org

GEO Method

With the GEO Method my black tank is working great. Much simpler than installing the Separett system, and certainly much less expensive.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #12

This gave me a memory and a chuckle. We had an old 1972 Discoverer with a macerator in the one and only sewage tank. It would pulverize everything and when the engine was hot, would squirt it into the exhaust pipe where it was incinerated and sent out to thrill whomever was too close behind. We never used it but got a good laugh whenever tempted by a tailgater. Disconnected it when sold.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #13

I suppose it's a newer idea - a way to 'contain' solids when you may not have access to a sewer outlet or dump station, and don't want to have to move too often. I would ask, as others have, 'where' you take these bags of solids, as I'm sure that might be a new issue unto itself. If you simply throw it into a garbage can, or commercial dumpster, you might find that most would not agree that it's where you should, though I'm drawing a blank as to where else you possibly could, other than exactly where all the rest of us do - a sewer - without the 'bag', of course. That would be messy.

For the other subject, the liquids, we ALL use water with our flushes, so I'm sure that it's no different in that respect - it's all diluted, just the same, if that's really any 'issue' most of us were not aware of. I would suggest that you could actually go a lot longer, before dumping, if you didn't 'dillute' it! May be a little counter-intuitive.

and yes, I think your post's heading screams that you've found the solution to a problem that all of us have, but I guess most of us have been rving for years and many thousands of miles, and have never thought of it being any 'issue', but I suppose it's another 'option', especially for really 'off-grid' scenarios, or even where you are parked long-term and want to compost for your garden : ) .... maybe.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #14

keep [t simple and cheap

We throw in an old plastic coffee can lid in bottom of our Thetford OEM toilet to keep a little water to keep from drying out ball gasket. Just put heavy trash can bag over toilet under seat, do our bizness. Take out, tie off and throw in dumpster. Sounds gross but works for long term booning.
Tommy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #15

Hi,

Not to get too explicit, but one presumes then that in actual use, a female traveler adds any TP she uses into the solid waste stream, along with the TP already used for solid waste wiping.

Where I am going here I guess, is that I am having trouble seeing how continuous drying of an aggregated mass of feces and TP gets to an acceptable level of decomposition in such a short time, and without accompanying odors.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #16

Trees

Urine even human urine is sanitary and mostly nitrogen. Yes, some gardeners will go through the hassle of diluted urine for plants. It is claimed to be top grade if fresh. Fresh urine has no foul odor. Yes, human compost was used in generations past for manure. They collected the stuff in pots and composted it then selling. There was a profession and market for this. Even to date Milorganite is top organic fertilizer (Milwaukee waste).

My TT is traditional sewage, but have evaluated the compost toilet and it may be in our future? First the urine bottle could be dumped outside or in grey tank drains. The bagged solids can be thrown in trash if that is where dog solids are thrown (little difference). Yes it does compost rapidly and a valuable soil amendment, but this process is measured in months. Compost toilets will utilize wood chips or some other additive and utilize a aeration device. This will maximize aerobic decomposition and prevent smell. It is a smart move in my current assessment. If you do go this way plumb the black tank to grey.
trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #17

My black tank works great. The two of us in a camp with no sewer hookup can't fill up a black to 2/3 or 3/4 no matter what. Solid waste needs liquids water and urine to be properly emptied. Just putting solid waste.down the hole into tank will eventually need water to flush it out or the amazing mountain of poo occurs... or maybe this one requires chemicals added to function.

Any black tank stories are from not maintaining while underway and not emptying with enough water in the tank.

But everyone enjoys the system that works for them. Some folks use it for closet space and only use campground toilets and showers so they never have to maintain or worry.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #18

The Milorganite fertilizer is kiln dried at an elevated heat to kill the pathogens. Pathogens are a problem with human waste as a fertilizer.
Super Flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:15 AM   #19
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I wasn't aware there were problems and concerns with a black tank.
I finally found the ideal solution to black (and grey) tank sensor errors. When we park the 5'er, for any period, after a trip, regardless of how long, and regardless of what residuals there are in the tanks, I add fresh water till they are around half to 2/3rd's full, then put in a hefty dose of dishwashing liquid (we think that Morning Fresh is the best, (for everything). Somewhere along the road during our next trip, however long it takes to do one, we find a dump point before our camp spot and empty the lot. The dishwashing cleaner is magic at degreasing/cleaning the tank(s) and the sensor buttons. The first time we did this was after 3 years of frustration at the sensors giving false readings. Now, when we empty the tanks, the readouts say they are empty.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:58 AM   #20

Trees

That's why Milorganite can be used in gardens. Yes, a common practice in a bygone era and still in foreign countries is human waste manure. It is not recommended for food production. Urine is great.

Fully composted manure of which the compost toilet system really sets up is a great soil amendment. The two week process of the typical time frame in compost toilet is far from complete, but well on its way. Put the waste where you would cat litter or dog dropping is fine. Bagged if in dumpster. If dumping on land, be sure to locate on remote or less traveled areas. It won't stink and fade on first rainfall if spread out properly. This is great for plant growth and no threat for pollution.

Everyone has an opinion and some will never stray from traditional government approved disposal systems. These folks would faint if seeing someone pee in the forest and demand all dog dropping be picked up and bagged per saving the environment. Poison I say.
trees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, led, tank