Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #21

here is the locks I got so nice to not have to use the key to open them every time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1474123410796.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	120440  
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #22

Just a FYI we bought a storage ahead for our campsite in DE and found out and found out that the cam lock's on our old trailer we're the same key. Then found out all the shed's in the campground had the same key and came from different mafactures. Now live in NC and got a shed for the new house same key and just bought a place in TN and that shed about 20 years old same key. Look like a lot of things use the same key. Now how many of you are going out to your shed with your trailer keys and check?
tugboat369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #23

I am looking into getting some new locks for my compartments. The ones on my 2017 Salem Hemisphere 300BH are not working well. I am unsure of the thickness of the doors Does anyone happen to know the thickness? I am not able to get to my TT until Friday. I would like to get them on order so I can make the mod this weekend. Thanks!
BirdieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:11 PM   #24

Several things:

1. If you want cam locks that have a different key than what every trailer company uses, they are easy to find on line through LRI Depot. They have about a dozen different keys.

2. I chose not to use combination locks as they usually are small and you cannot see them at night unless you want to carry a flashlight with you to see the numbers.

3. I, too, am a retired deputy sheriff and while locks keep honest people honest, it's not likely that in most trailer campgrounds anybody is going to spend much time making the noise it takes to bang their way into your trailer. At least that's been my experience. Thieves WILL get into wherever they want but noise is their enemy and like water, they will choose the path of least resistance. So if you choose to leave your compartments unlocked, you are the softest target and the one that they will choose first. Lock up and more likely than not the thief is going to find a softer target. I guess if you have nothing worth stealing perhaps the argument to not lock up makes sense but at least in my particular case, I have things worth more than a few hundred dollars that I don't want stolen. I may have to suck it up for my deductible but I'll never have to pay more than that for repairs .... IF a thief chooses to pick me as his or her victim.

There's nothing in my truck worth stealing, either, but I lock it up, too.

For me, I'd rather lock up.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:28 PM   #25

I just want slam latches because they're easier than having to deal with a key every time. Getting a quote from FR to replace the doors on our 2012 to all smal latches
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #26

I changed the locks on my toy hauler to these. Seem to work well, I had to trim the actual piece on the back that catches the luggage door frame on the camper as they were too long. Only other complaint is you can only remove the key when they are in the locked position. Not that big of a deal though, unless you are going to install 2 on the same door.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote