Old 03-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

cam locks and locking your camper

Always seems to be a discussion about cam locks and security issues with keyed alike cam locks on bay and cubbyhole doors.
1 if your trully worried about theft you can buy special keyed alike locks that are your own for about 7 dollars from grainger or the like.
2 or I just seen yesterday you can buy a cam lock with a bicycle type scroll combination.
I believe its just to much of a hassle for rv manufactures to carry 20 or 30 different cam locks to be installed in so many different units and trying to remember what keys and so forth.
just an fyi

Old 03-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #2

We installed combi locks on all our storage doors it is nice not needing a key to unlock. Have changed the main door lock.

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #3

I replaced my compartment door & outside shower locks with tubular cam locks, all keyed alike. The peace of mind was worth the $34.00 (Including shipping). I purchased them thru Industrial Lock & Hardware. (Cam Locks, cam lock,Tubular locks, Ace locks, Security locks, Cabinet Locks, Furniture Locks, Drawer Locks) More than $7.00 ea, but seem to be high quality tubular locks.

I still carry a CH751 key with me, just in case someone needs it.

I also changed one of the Entry Door latch/lock sets so both doors would be keyed alike. Purchased from RV Locks and More. Easy to match an existing lock set. Simply remove the inside latch handle assembly, and note the Key # inside and order a matching number unit. (RVLocksAndMore | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys)

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
Can you tell me how you changed out the original cylinder lock with the combi lock? Or did the dealer or a locksmith complete that portion?

I called FIC and they said the "tool" is only sold to RV dealers and Locksmiths. Still waiting to hear back from my RV dealer. I called three locksmiths, one an obvious crook with limited info tells me we need to be on site to do this, I just said no thank you. The other two locksmiths, one of them referred me to the other is also still needing to get back to me. so, this does not seem to be a do it yourself as far as removing the lock cylinder itself. Let me know please. Thanks! Joe
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2012 Tracer 3150BHD Touring Edition
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

What I did, as they say it just keeps honest people honest but these will slow them down abit. As always much easier to just break a window.

First Mod to our V-Lite

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO
Can you tell me how you changed out the original cylinder lock with the combi lock? Or did the dealer or a locksmith complete that portion?

I called FIC and they said the "tool" is only sold to RV dealers and Locksmiths. Still waiting to hear back from my RV dealer. I called three locksmiths, one an obvious crook with limited info tells me we need to be on site to do this, I just said no thank you. The other two locksmiths, one of them referred me to the other is also still needing to get back to me. so, this does not seem to be a do it yourself as far as removing the lock cylinder itself. Let me know please. Thanks! Joe
Pics of your locks!

Mine have a nut on the back to hold it in place.
Confused.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #7

The FIC locks on mine have nothing like a nut holding it in place. I took two of them out of the doors and looked them over poking and prodding and then when I called FIC, they said there are no common tools to remove the cylinder and that you need a master key fob to put into the cylinder to remove it. So now I'm waiting for three different dealers and two locksmiths to call me back. This seems like such a simple thing to do, that ends up being such a PITA! Ugh!
Semper Fi
Old 07-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
The FIC locks on mine have nothing like a nut holding it in place. I took two of them out of the doors and looked them over poking and prodding and then when I called FIC, they said there are no common tools to remove the cylinder and that you need a master key fob to put into the cylinder to remove it. So now I'm waiting for three different dealers and two locksmiths to call me back. This seems like such a simple thing to do, that ends up being such a PITA! Ugh!
Are you talking about slam latches? If you have slam latches the keys should be different from everyone elses. I
Does you key cylinder look like this?
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #9

funkyjunk, thanks for your reply.

Here is the link to the pictures of what I am trying to achieve. [IMG]/http://s1072.photobucket.com/albums/w380/joey67usmc/Upgrading%20Baggage%20Locks/[/IMG]

Apparently FIC chose to use a master key option in order to remove the stock cylinders of their handle / locks for all doors. I tried a few options to get the cylinder out, just short of slamming it to the ground. So, Now I wait on locksmiths or dealers to assist me...
Semper Fi
Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
funkyjunk, thanks for your reply.

Here is the link to the pictures of what I am trying to achieve. [IMG]/http://s1072.photobucket.com/albums/w380/joey67usmc/Upgrading%20Baggage%20Locks/[/IMG]

Apparently FIC chose to use a master key option in order to remove the stock cylinders of their handle / locks for all doors. I tried a few options to get the cylinder out, just short of slamming it to the ground. So, Now I wait on locksmiths or dealers to assist me...
I may be wrong but I think those are keyed different from the standard baggage keys. In other words they aren't the same key as everyone else. I wouldn't worry about changing the locks out.