Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2014, 01:24 AM   #1

Camp fire utensils rack/holder

We have been out all week and the hot dog sticks and pie irons and what not laying/leaning against chairs are driving me crazy.

Wondering if anyone has come up with a home made rack holder to keep everything organized and up off the ground???

Let's see some pics if your up for sharing your ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 AM   #2

Haven't thought of a rack, but came up with a cute idea of keeping all the fire tools and marshmallow roasters together neatly when we pack up. Cut off the legs to an old pair of jeans, sew the CUT edge, leaving the hemmed edge open, which made a long bag. Put all the food tools in one, and the fire tools in another then tied the ends with twine. All together and never have to look all over for the one I want. Now, with that said, since I'm only 5'2' next time I'll use my husbands jeans. Have gotten a lot of comments at the campgrounds on my "tool bags".
Denise S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #3

Hey that's a good idea. Ours just bounce around in the front compartment. Thanks

Old 08-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #4

When we were leaving our camper setup for about a month earlier this summer, I took a piece of 2" firewood and put some deck screw's into it, then bungeed it to a tree. Don't have pics, but it worked great. I like the idea of one so think I'll make a simple one out of steel. A base, maybe weighted and one that would stab into the ground, a riser, and a horizontal piece with lots of hooks and holders to go across the top.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
NELA

Why not just use one of those stands for fireplace tools?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise S View Post
Haven't thought of a rack, but came up with a cute idea of keeping all the fire tools and marshmallow roasters together neatly when we pack up. Cut off the legs to an old pair of jeans, sew the CUT edge, leaving the hemmed edge open, which made a long bag. Put all the food tools in one, and the fire tools in another then tied the ends with twine. All together and never have to look all over for the one I want. Now, with that said, since I'm only 5'2' next time I'll use my husbands jeans. Have gotten a lot of comments at the campgrounds on my "tool bags".
Pictures?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Why not just use one of those stands for fireplace tools?
That could work, but I have way more out than would fit in those. Plus, I want mine taller so the short people that follow me around can reach everything.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I don't have a picture of it, but I took a 24" piece of 4" PVC, put a cap on the end with a 6" piece of all-thread bolted through the center and sharpened just a bit. We get to camp, i stick it in the ground and all the sticks go in it.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #9

Thanks everyone I'm starting to get some ideas here now. I'm going to try a couple different things to see which works best. I'll take some pics as I go.

Keep those idea coming.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408815423.208924.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	791.3 KB
ID:	61279. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408815487.194783.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	745.6 KB
ID:	61280

This is what I was talking about earlier to keep my camping tools together. One is for food things ie: hot dog/ marshmallow cookers, food things and the other is for Bon fire tools. As you can see I should have used my hubby's jeans so they would be longer, but this works. I'm sure there are a lot of other great ideas and creations out there and would love to hear them

Proud owner of a 2015 Sabre 33RET S-6, Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Denise S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #11

OK, don't ban me from the forum, but here's an idea if you could figure out how to make it not gross.
I installed one of the 5 inch PVC fence post covers under my TT, just behind the rear stabilizer jacks, for storing the poop tubes (2 10ft sections) and 90 degree elbow. IIRC, that stuff only takes up about 5 feet of my 8 foot long fence post cover. That leaves 3 feet on the passenger side of the camper that could be used for storing something else. Problem is, of course, how you keep poop tube and associated contents/run-off water/etc on that side and your eating utensils on the other side.
Options:
1. Cut the fence post cover (FPC for short - hey, just made what I think is a new acronym!) at the appropriate place and put end caps on each side of the cut, essentially making two shorter FPCs. Question then is how you'll support those cut ends as (at least on my TT) there isn't a convenient place to attach to the under belly at that location.
2. Insert and PVC glue into place some kind of internal divider that is water/air tight. Not sure exactly how you'd do that. . .
3. Install a second FPC for "clean" items - wouldn't necessarily have to be the huge 5 inch variety, could even be a round PVC pipe. Size would depend on how large your hot dog stick ends are. As I'm typing this, I'm liking this idea better all the time. I could even see this smaller tube "piggybacked" onto the 5 inch FPC in a very unobtrusive way with some hose clamps.
4. Other ideas????

Of course, with any of the above, the big question is whether 4 and 7 year olds will actually put the sticks into any of these (or into any of the other storage ideas mentioned for that matter). Only time will tell.

Brian
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Our biggest complaint has never been where to store them, but what to do with them after you have toasted your marshmallow. The kids always want to drop them where they lay (along with one of the marshmallows that will be stepped in). The pvc pipe holder has been the best idea we've come up with so far. My wife also fills it with soapy water and washes the sticks.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #13

How about using a chair bag? I typically throw these away after purchase because they are just to fiddly to use.

I keep all of these 'tools' (fire tongs, forks, pie irons, etc.) in the saddle bag of my basement, right by the door. A nice feature of the Crusader 5ers.

When at camp I usually find a nearby tree to lean them against so they are out of the way, but close by.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I don't have a picture of it, but I took a 24" piece of 4" PVC, put a cap on the end with a 6" piece of all-thread bolted through the center and sharpened just a bit. We get to camp, i stick it in the ground and all the sticks go in it.
My biggest fear- especially with the pie irons is the heat of them and someone getting burned. I honestly have no idea how long our hot dog cookers and marshmallow pokers stay hot because I'm chicken snot around them for *hours*.

I assume the PVC wouldn't take well to any of these things going in hot...
Old 08-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My biggest fear- especially with the pie irons is the heat of them and someone getting burned. I honestly have no idea how long our hot dog cookers and marshmallow pokers stay hot because I'm chicken snot around them for *hours*.

Fill it full of water and you'll quench that heat pretty quickly. Might even help temper them further!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Depends on if you're cooking with them or using them as branding irons. . If cooking with them, they have yet to make the first mark inside.