Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

Camp Pro Wifi Installed

I finally had a chance to give my new Camp Pro WiFi antenna a test. I just returned from a week at Fort Flagler (Wa) on Marrowstone Island. My site was right next to the beach and directly across Puget Sound is Port Townsend (about 2 miles). I temporarily ran the cable from the antenna/router through a window and to the repeater inside. To my surprise, I was picking up wifi connections from Port Townsend!! I actually connected and used the open wifi for the city. Impressed enough that today I finished the permanent routing of the cable and mounted the repeater inside. I had already mounted the Camp Pro to the Winegard tv antenna. While I was on the roof, I saw the boot to the Winegard baseplate had worked itself off. I was surprised to see there was no sealant around the cable but it also showed me that my Camp Pro USB cable would easily fit alongside the tv cable. Long story short, I cut the USB cable, pulled the inside garnish trim from the bedroom vent, fished the cable, connected 12V plug to the bedroom light, drilled two holes in the garnish trim, fed the cables and spliced. Used Command velcro strip to mount repeater to garnish trim. Multiple pics at: https://flic.kr/s/aHskhF8D1r
Old 08-13-2016, 07:18 AM   #2

Great mod, Thanks for sharing.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #3

That is good to hear, mine will arrive next week
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #4

I found the initial setup a little challenging in that the instructions didn't match what I was seeing from the software. Frustrating but got it working after a YouTube search and a lot of patience. Now that I have had the chance to actually use it, I'm happy with the purchase.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #5

Great mods ! Inspires me to get some of them done.

Thank you.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #6

I agree with the great reception! Like you I installed the booster tube to my crank up antenna and temporally installed my usb though a window to the repeater. My only complaint is the distance of the repeater signal inside the TT. I tried moving the repeater to the middle of the TT and still can't get a signal in the bedroom. I'm not sure if it's the construction material of the TT or what. With your repeater installed like it is do you get reception throughout your TT ? I guess a call to customer service is in order. Nice install on yours, was it hard, and /or real time consuming?

2018 3500 Chevy Silverado, Duramax, CC, Z71, SRW
2014 Palomino Solaire Eclipse 297rlds
Husky Centerline w/d hitch
Retusps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retusps View Post
With your repeater installed like it is do you get reception throughout your TT ?
I receive a ~ -35 dBm signal in the bedroom and a ~ -45 dBm signal in the rest of the trailer. Very strong. In fact, our friends in the site next to us were able to log into our wifi once we provided the password. It may be your trailer construction but you may want to download a free app to a tablet or smartphone to measure signal strength. I use "WiFi-Analyzer" that I downloaded from Amazon. Check your signal strength at the repeater and then move away to other parts of the trailer or outside. You should at least receive the ~ -35 dBm when you are in the same room as the repeater. Adjusting your repeater antenna may also help. I moved mine from the horizontal to vertical position as in the last picture.

Quote:
Nice install on yours, was it hard, and /or real time consuming?
Thank you! I have a technical background so not hard but time consuming. Hardest part was splicing (soldering) the usb cable back together. Right now the power and usb are solid soldered connections. I've ordered male & female usb connectors and a male & female dc power pigtails. Once I receive them, I'll drop the vent garnish and install the connectors so I can easily completely remove the garnish to troubleshoot if I ever need to.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #8

I have the camppro and I can receive the repeated signal 100 ft outside of rv. . System works great.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwppwc View Post
I receive a ~ -35 dBm signal in the bedroom and a ~ -45 dBm signal in the rest of the trailer. Very strong. In fact, our friends in the site next to us were able to log into our wifi once we provided the password. It may be your trailer construction but you may want to download a free app to a tablet or smartphone to measure signal strength. I use "WiFi-Analyzer" that I downloaded from Amazon. Check your signal strength at the repeater and then move away to other parts of the trailer or outside. You should at least receive the ~ -35 dBm when you are in the same room as the repeater. Adjusting your repeater antenna may also help. I moved mine from the horizontal to vertical position as in the last picture.

Thank you! I have a technical background so not hard but time consuming. Hardest part was splicing (soldering) the usb cable back together. Right now the power and usb are solid soldered connections. I've ordered male & female usb connectors and a male & female dc power pigtails. Once I receive them, I'll drop the vent garnish and install the connectors so I can easily completely remove the garnish to troubleshoot if I ever need to.

cwppwc, Thanks for the info. I did find the download and will use it this weekend. I was under the impression that the repeater should give greater range than what I was getting that's why I moved it to the center of the TT. My repeater antenna is in the same position as yours so I can't wait to test it with the meter. (didn't know about the wi-fi analyzer, modern technology, right?) I may have to give customer service a call if I can't get a better signal. Thanks again!

Old 08-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #10

Anyone has a suggestion for a good WIFI analyzer for Ipad.

Thanks
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:40 PM   #11

Don't know if its your issue but the booster tube should be as far as possible from the repeater.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
Anyone has a suggestion for a good WIFI analyzer for Ipad.
Unfortunately, Apple decided a couple years ago to cleanse the app store of wifi analyzers citing "safety" concerns. "WiFi Explorer" was allowed to stay and it shot up from $3 to $15 but I'm not sure it's compatible with iPad.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:53 PM   #13

Quote:
I can't wait to test it with the meter.
Just remember, "less is more". -35 dBm is stronger than -45 dBm.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Don't know if its your issue but the booster tube should be as far as possible from the repeater.
Thanks, I don't think that is the issue as the booster tube is higher than the crank up antenna and the repeater is at least 12 feet from it. I'll try moving the repeater around the TT and take signal strength readings and keep you all updated. (this weekend) Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 08-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks, I don't think that is the issue as the booster tube is higher than the crank up antenna and the repeater is at least 12 feet from it.
Just an FYI; my repeater is only about 6 feet (line of sight) from the antenna with a strong signal. I did purchase a 15' white usb cable to cut and splice. Both for aesthetic reasons and I didn't want to cut the original cable in case the mod affected the reception.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Just an FYI; my repeater is only about 6 feet (line of sight) from the antenna with a strong signal. I did purchase a 15' white usb cable to cut and splice. Both for aesthetic reasons and I didn't want to cut the original cable in case the mod affected the reception.
Are you using the 12 volt adapter or the 110 ? I tried them both with the same results.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Are you using the 12 volt adapter or the 110 ? I tried them both with the same results.
I ended up cutting off 3' of the plug end of the 110 adapter and wiring directly to the 12V bedroom led light. The 110 adapter is a 12vdc output so I wouldn't think there should be any difference.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #18

I ended up moving my repeater to a higher location and played around with the antenna position to get the best signal strength, -35 in the main area and -47 to -55 in the front bedroom. Much better! Getting -55 to -65 outside the TT. The CG signal runs -80 to -85. Thanks for all the help.
P.S. I've had better results with WiFi Explorer, also free. I still use WiFi Analyser to get a comparison.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:59 AM   #19

Awesome! I'll take a look at WiFi Explorer. I did notice that there are multiple apps called "WiFi Analyzer" which can be very confusing. I'm glad it has worked out for you!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Awesome! I'll take a look at WiFi Explorer. I did notice that there are multiple apps called "WiFi Analyzer" which can be very confusing. I'm glad it has worked out for you!
Man, are you a night owl or what It must be the OCD in me, as I'm always checking signal strength between the two apps. Do you know what reading you are getting outside your unit? Thanks again.

Tags
camp pro, wifi