Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 10:20 PM   #21

Totaled

The same thing happened to me a year ago this month. Sent one picture to the insurance company and they totaled it. They didn't even come out to look at it. I would not try to pull it out until the water went down.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:50 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sline View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I recently canceled insurance because I've rarely used it on any vehicles. Wow.
Insurance; I'd rather have it and never need it than need it and not have it.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:53 PM   #23

Where is the OP hopefully he will come back, but as others said he posted pictures of two different trailers.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I also wouldn’t be posting this under
“Modifications and upgrades”
Not sure about that - unfortunately it looks like he might be in for major modifications OR a major upgrade - of the involuntary type!!
Old 02-25-2019, 01:03 AM   #25

Sorry about the mismatched photos. I took pics of my neighbors trailer too. Lucky for him he has insurance. Below is the correct 2nd photo of our xlr hyperlite:

Somebody suggested that a “rotator tow truck” could get it out. Having not heard of this I googled it. What a badass looking rig. I would like to hire one just to see it. I called several towing companies in town and there are several available but none of them will come out due to the water depth, which I estimate to be possibly 4’ at the deepest point.

It looks like a friend has a friend that has a backhoe and he may come pull it out. Tomorrow morning I’ll wade through the water and measure the deepest point then see if he’ll be willing to come out. A backhoe could be just as much fun as a rotator tow truck. I can’t wait. I’ll post some follow ups when I can...

Looks like the water level may not subside for another three days minimum then more rain is coming.

When pulling it out we will attempt to drain the water so the weight of the water doesnt cave in the floor and give us a flinstones style trailer. I think this will be a challenge in itself with all the loose stuff we have still in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5CC49606-443F-419D-8DEA-BFBCEAB91087.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	197547  
Sline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:42 AM   #26
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Sorry about the mismatched photos. I took pics of my neighbors trailer too. Lucky for him he has insurance. Below is the correct 2nd photo of our xlr hyperlite:

Somebody suggested that a “rotator tow truck” could get it out. Having not heard of this I googled it. What a badass looking rig. I would like to hire one just to see it. I called several towing companies in town and there are several available but none of them will come out due to the water depth, which I estimate to be possibly 4’ at the deepest point.

It looks like a friend has a friend that has a backhoe and he may come pull it out. Tomorrow morning I’ll wade through the water and measure the deepest point then see if he’ll be willing to come out. A backhoe could be just as much fun as a rotator tow truck. I can’t wait. I’ll post some follow ups when I can...

Looks like the water level may not subside for another three days minimum then more rain is coming.

When pulling it out we will attempt to drain the water so the weight of the water doesnt cave in the floor and give us a flinstones style trailer. I think this will be a challenge in itself with all the loose stuff we have still in the trailer.
I think you could do more damage by dragging out out now. Probably best to let the water level lower and drain slowly from the trailer.

The underbelly is not structural and basically keeps the heat in and road dirt out. The weight of that water if you pull it out will probably cause the underbelly to be ripped off (there are only a few connectors in the center holding it on). Also it depends on what the laminate is made of as to how well it will hold up. Luan plywood in the laminate will separate and any press-board material will just disintegrate when wet for more than a short time.

Damage is already done, and I think you could make it worse by moving it with potentially structurally weakened panels and underbelly. With no insurance, you might actually have less to repair if you just ride the rest of the flood out. But I guess it also depends on what they are predicting for the water levels. If they are expected to continue to rise, you may not have a choice.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:33 AM   #27

Don't waist you time.Tthe trailer is JUNK. All the pressboard is gonna swell. Mold is gonna grow everywhere. Metal things are gonna rust. Electric connections are never gonna work. Let the water go down then strip it and sell the parts (WH, stove, oven, A/C etc, since you don't have insurance on it. Take the money and buy insurance for the other stuff you have and consider it a lesson learned.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #28

^^^ this.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I recently canceled insurance because I've rarely used it on any vehicles. Wow.

Vehicle / RV insurance is not required in your state? No offense but this is exactly why my RV is insured. Your trailer is a total loss!
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I was noticing that too.
I’m wondering if this is just a post to stir things up?
I also wouldn’t be posting this under
“Modifications and upgrades”

Is this a troll post?
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Insurance; I'd rather have it and never need it than need it and not have it.
I agree, on our fiver it's less than $200/year
Allisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #32

Mandatory insurance is only applicable to liability and even that is not mandatory in all states. We're not required to have liability insurance on our vehicles here in Virginia, for example. But this wouldn't be covered by liability insurance anyway.

Agree these trailers are total losses. Agree not having insurance is stupid. Sorry about your loss.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #33
Site Team

The number 1 rule of restoration is "do no harm".
Pulling it out blind may well cause more damage but really- it's toast.
Someone mentioned if you pull it out the underbelly might fall off.
That would be a good thing and if I were trying to save it- the first thing is yank off the underbelly. But-
Again- it's a total loss.

Salvage what you can later like wheels, tires, LP tanks any personal belongings that are above the water line.

Junk the rest and buy a used one.
You'll get a better trailer for less grief and $$ than if you try to salvage this one.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #34
Site Team

As someone that has been in 2 different campgrounds that are prone to flooding, I'll agree with everyone else that both trailers pictured are likely a total loss.

I knew a couple that had a flooded trailer. They managed to pull it out but just a little too late. The water was already inside it. They got it to higher ground, opened all the doors and windows and put a couple of fans in to dry it out for a few days.

They eventually gutted it and rebuilt it but could never really get the mold smell to go away. They sold it to another couple who kept it for maybe a year, then got rid of it.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
Vehicle / RV insurance is not required in your state? No offense but this is exactly why my RV is insured. Your trailer is a total loss!
Only the lender requires comp/collision insurance.
If it's paid off, insurance is not required.
Required liability insurance is on the TV.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #36

Sorry if this is repeat reply but, we have some friends that went through a river flood, such as this. That has got to be the nastiest type of flooding there is. Not like flooding from hurricane and 30" of rain. Although, flooding is flooding. I feel for you.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #37
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
As other have said, state dependent. PA does not require any insurance on a trailer because the tow vehicle covers the trailer as part of the car insurance. This does NOT do anything when parked. At my home the camper is covered under my home owners, on the road (and for home as a bit more protection) I have a separate insurance for replacement and loss of items. I think it is $150 a year..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #38
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:

I agree with the others, unless its going to float away or become swept away by rising water I'd leave it to avoid further damage. It is messed up already, nothing you're going to do about it now. Best to not cause more damage by dragging it out.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #39
waybeck2018

Sorry about your travel trailer. I agree to keep your truck out of it. he campground across from us has close to 50% of the campers under water, mid way up in most cases. The access road to that is under about 3 feet of water. The Coosa is rising still from what we hear and read.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #40
RV There Yet?

dont drive your truck in there to try to pull it out. you will have water in your axles and will then have to drain and re-lube them. I agree with the rest, that camper is a total loss. Im sorry you removed the insurance from it. we have ours insured when not being used for reasons exactly like this.

Tags
storage, camper