Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Jan Goldfield

Can I add this?

I use a power scooter for walking. It weighs about 150 pounds. I can carry it in the bed of the PU and use a ramp to get it in and out, but that means I have to disconnect the RV every time I need the scooter.
Can I add this to the rear of my 28bh? This thing weighs about 150 pounds as well and measures about 30" x 48".

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Jan - Probably not a good idea. First, a custom receiver would have to be fabricated and welded to the frame of your trailer. Second, is the frame on your trailer stout enough in the first place for such an application. Third come the safety issues. 300 lbs plus the weight of the custom receiver hanging out past the back end of a trailer will probably do some really strange things to how the trailer tows, not to mention that it will unload a lot of tongue weight.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #3

We had a friend now deceased that used a power wheel chair & he had a lifting device that swung over the side of his p/up bed. Just wonder if the cost for something like that would be any more than what you described. Especially considering the weight issue on the back of your TT.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

What about the front of the truck? Could mount a receiver there and then haul it on the front, with or without the camper.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
What about the front of the truck? Could mount a receiver there and then haul it on the front, with or without the camper.

Potentially a much better solution.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Jan Goldfield

The front of the truck is a good idea. Wonder how I would keep from hitting a parked car?
I have a power lift on my Escape, but for the FD PU, I bought 10' ramps and can ride the scooter right on up. It's not a power chair, but a scooter (not very aptly named, I would say, but it helps them sell scooters.) Calling them assisted mobility devices is not a good advertising tool..

Hmmm, a lift is hooked up to a class 3 hitch and then has a key operated lift. It needs at least 6" of clearance. Dunno if the truck or my pocketbook could handle it. The power lift is about 2K not installed.

Besides the bed of the truck is gonna be filled with flat tires that I would not put under the bed.

2009 Ford 150
Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Jan Goldfield

More:
I have a crane style hoist in the garage that I don't use anymore. Gotta check with my installer to see if it can be mounted under the side of the truck and pull the scooter up and over. Could be.

2009 Ford 150
Old 08-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
The front of the truck is a good idea. Wonder how I would keep from hitting a parked car? With great care! Mirror like on school bus.
Examples below:

Enormous Wheelchair Carrier & Scooter Carrier Selection from $249 at Discount Ramps.Com!

Front Mount Receiver Hitch

Scooter must not obstruct headlights.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #9

Check out the Wildwood Xlite and/or Salem cruise lite series. They have a rear rack option with a limitation of 150 lbs. If you could fit one of those on your tt, or fit your own rack in the same way, you'd be set.

What's nice about the wildwood /salem rear rack is that it can be flipped up out of the way when not needed.

Good luck.
Windshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

A very helpful mirror

Rosco Mirrors-Eye-Max LP/Hawk-North Americas Leading Supplier Of Mirrors

A chat with the salesperson might be in order to get exactly the unit you will need for your tow vehicle.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote