Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #1

Can you easily increase a window size?

The window in the queen bed end of our TT is simply put, way too small. You need to stoop down to be able to look out. This makes the bed area awfully dark in the daytime as well. Seems like common practice for RV makers to install windows low down and I am really not sure why they do this.

I was wondering about increasing the height of the window, leaving the width the same. Are there any challenges to doing this? Is it similar to what you would do in a house, ie., you need a header across the top?

The window in question is an exit one so I would make sure the new one is a safety type as well.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It wouldn't be easily done. I'm pretty sure that the window opening would be framed in wood or aluminum. It wouldn't be a matter of just cutting a larger opening in the exterior wall.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #3

I haven't tried it but you can probably use a stud finder to locate the framing, whether it's metal or wood. Zircon makes a scanner that will locate just about anything including wiring but it's not cheap, about $50 I think.
Prodigy Controller

dlturner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Be prepared to have to build your frame according to the size of your intended window because it will require same to anchor to. Cut your siding smaller (1") to permit bending (breaking it) over the frame to prevent leaks after the window is installed.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #5

I removed a window from my old Rockwood and it just had screws attaching the inner frame to the outer frame, no framing in the wall. Maybe because it was a lightweight. I know my Silverback has more framing but I don't think it's absolutely necessary to install a window.
Prodigy Controller

dlturner00 is offline   Reply With Quote