Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #1

Carpet Removal ??

We have a V-Lite that we are thinking of trying to remove as much of the factory installed carpet as possible. From what I can tell the whole floor should be covered with vinyl and the carpet put over the top of the vinyl.

My main question is how many staples are used to attach the carpet? And, what do you patch the staple holes with? I am concerned if the holes are not patched with something they will eventually get caught on something then produce a tear.

I know I need to figure out something for the area in front of the slide. Currently, there is only about 8 inches of carpet showing when the slide is extended. I am thinking about using some HDPE just in the area that shows on the carpet where the slide rubs. I am sure I can bevel the side so it isn't a trip hazard. But I am open to suggestions.

Why they put carpet in RVs is beyond me. What started out a cheap looking tan carpet now looks like a worse than cheap tannish gray carpet. Where we camp it is impossible not to track in on the carpet.

Any ideas will be welcome.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #2

V-Lite carpet

I have a V-Lite also and was going to remove the carpet, but found that all of the carpet is glued to the floor all over the rv. I have linoleum in the kitchen area and front door area but with a stapled joining strip like they would use in homes. For right now I have changed my mind, to much of a project till it gets cooler and if we keep the V-Lite. I don't know about yours but mine leakes up in the front point area and am constantly trying to seal it. This is the first and last V-Lite I will own, what a piece of junk.
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #3

Our V-Lite had min carpet from Fac. They still had carpet in slide and bedroom.We removed carpet in the bedroom,and left carpet in the slide and the little transition slide area in the living room. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #4

maxwell18,

Our V-Lite is a 2010 model we got in the Spring of 09. So far we have had no leaks to speak of. We did have the 2 front windows on the "V" resealed at the dealer. We did a fall trip with barely above freezing temps with rain. We had condensation something fierce on that trip. Wife demanded I take TT in to get checked. Dealer spent all day spraying water on front windows, said water finally came through. But, the good thing is we have water intrusion on the last 2 trips with some heavy rain.

Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
Old 07-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #5

youroo,

We have carpet in front of the slide, front couch about 8 - 10 inches wide. The carpet in bedroom. Want to remove in front of couch and in bedroom. Did you have many hole in the vinyl from tacks or staple used to hold down the carpet?

Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
youroo,

We have carpet in front of the slide, front couch about 8 - 10 inches wide. The carpet in bedroom. Want to remove in front of couch and in bedroom. Did you have many hole in the vinyl from tacks or staple used to hold down the carpet?
Very few staples,ours has the wood plank look lino. cant see staple holes. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #7

Sounds good. I will be taking our carpet out at the first chance I get. We also have a nice plank wood looking vinyl. Now I just have to figure out what to in front of the slide.

Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26