Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #1

CB mount with 3m Auto trim tape?

I'm planning on installing a CB in my Forester Class C (Chevy chassis). I'm looking at the Midland 1001LWX which is one of the smallest CBs out there. It's 4 1/2" wide, 6 1/2" deep and 1 1/2" high. It weighs 1lb, 10oz.

I want to mount it on the ceiling just behind (to the rear of the coach) from the dome light. It's easy to reach from the driver's seat but out of the way for the passenger when she's getting in and out of the co-pilot's seat. I can run the power and antenna cables through the headliner and down the A pillar. I cut up a cardboard box and taped it together so it's the same size as the radio and it fits perfectly there.

I'm thinking of getting a 4 inch by 6 inch piece of 12 gauge aluminum sheet and epoxy a couple of T nuts (actually brad nuts) to the bottom of the aluminum.

Then I figure I'll drop the headliner enough - the 4 screws come out of the bunk cutout to allow access - and slide the aluminum sheet with attached brad nut between the headliner and the steel roof panel of the van. Once attached to the roof I'll punch a couple holes through the headliner to the brad nut so that machine screws/bolts can be threaded through the radio mount into the brad nuts.

My question is related on the best way to mount the aluminum sheet to the roof of the Chevy van. I looked already, there are no cross struts - it's just sheet metal so driving a couple sheet metal screws up through it is not a good idea....they'll stick out of the roof below the overhead bunk.

I'm trying to decide if I should cover the top of the aluminum plate with 3m automotive trim tape (the double sided tape that holds on trim) or epoxy the sheet to the van roof.

Has anyone mounted anything like this with 3m trim tape?

If so how did it work out? Any other ideas or suggestions on how to mount the radio bracket to the ceiling?

Thanks!

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #2

My thought would be if it failed while driving, it could be a large distraction as it started to or actual fell. Not counting it possibly hitting someone.

Have you looked at the Cobra 75WXST? I used one for years, off-roading in my Hummer. All you need in site is the handset which has the controls; the box sits under the seat.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Try this.
Magnetic Holding System Aids Cable Installation on Water Towers - WaterWorld

They hold broadcast antennas on water towers. You could epoxy the magnet as well.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
My thought would be if it failed while driving, it could be a large distraction as it started to or actual fell. Not counting it possibly hitting someone.

Have you looked at the Cobra 75WXST? I used one for years, off-roading in my Hummer. All you need in site is the handset which has the controls; the box sits under the seat.

I gave the 75WXST a thought, but my concern is how is the sound quality coming out of it? I've heard that an external speaker is necessary to hear it clearly.

Skip & Deb
Old 09-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

In my Hummer, no external speaker was required. However, in a Rubicon I had before the Hummer I did need an external speaker, that I mounted to the roll bar between the passenger and driver position. However, the Rubi with the cloth roof, at highways speeds made it next to impossible to hear the person next to you.

There is an RCA type port in the rear of the external box for an external speaker.

I will say the only problem I had was seeing the display; especially on a sunny day and the sun hitting the display just right. But when on the Hwy I just kept it at Ch 19, and when off-roading with a group, we would designate a specific channel prior to starting out.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

I use the Cobra in a street rod. Loud pipes can still hear it.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #7

I have used that double sided tape to hold down a plastic panel. It did not hold more than two weeks and then popped off. As for holding up your radio, it will not be strong enough. The second or third bump that you hit in the road and the radio will be on the floor. Look for another hanging style or place.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #8

Harbor freight sells a magnet larger around than a beer can that will hold lots of weight . It comes with a long handle for picking up nails and such . I unscrewed the handle and mounted a 8 pound amplifier to it about 4 years ago , it still hangs there .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #9

Thanks all for the replies. Apparently 3m makes a super strong (and super expensive) VHB (very high bond) tape that's used for holding windows in on buildings. The downside I'm finding with the tape is that it's a one shot deal - if I put the plate on the roof crooked it's there.

I'm leaning more now towards 2 part epoxy. 5 minute epoxy will give me a few minutes to make sure everything is aligned correctly and I can tape it in place with blue painters tape until it hardens. I tend to be a little (my wife would say A LOT) OCD about things.

I think I'm going with the Midland over the Cobra as it will be easier to see the controls to switch between channels or to NOAA frequencies. I'm also a traditionalist....I like the look of a "conventional" radio. I spent 40 years driving a police car with multiple radios in them so I'm a "box" type person!

Skip & Deb
Old 09-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #10

I use external speakers on all of my two way radios. Big difference, with a speaker near one's head.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:59 PM   #11

I had my CB mounted on wood made into an upside down j shape and hung it over the lip of my engine cover console storage opening. But of you have a Chevy not a Ford. This slides over to allow us to get out of the seats without hitting it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ry=320.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	89648  
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #12

I used a sheet of Velcro glued to the top(covered the top) and an equal size glued to the underside of the dash. Granted, if it fell, it would've only hit my right shin, but in four and a half years, it never came loose. Had to work it off when I traded up.
Radio was a Cobra classic.
Dave
D-maxx dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #13

Could cut two slots and drop the mounting bracket thru the top of the visor. It would not be able to fall thru then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount