Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Changed My Dinette area and slide out

I have a 2006 29bh TT with the standard dinette booth and couch that folds to a bed. I have a family of 5 and trying to eat was always a bear. So this summer I removed the couch and dinette area which was all in the super slide and rearranged it a little. I made an L shaped dinette area and table. now if you look close you can see the table moves on gluides to and away from side to make it easier to get in your seat, but now instead of 4 sitting cramped we sit all 5 of us with room to spare. Also if we have guest we can fit 8 or more on that one table with extra chairs on the other side. I had to remove and cut the couch down 7 inches but you can't really tell and it is still completly functional to change to a bed still. And as you can see I bought new foam and reupholstered in a dark brown and black. Also by changing the seats and couch we got more storage. The old couch always seamed a little low so I raised it a couple inches, and now we can fit taller things under it. We will slowly be getting rid of that cheap looking blue stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT couch down.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	10136   Click image for larger version

Name:	TT couch up.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	10137   Click image for larger version

Name:	TT dinette table slid in.jpg
Views:	3301
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	10138   Click image for larger version

Name:	TT dinette table slid out.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	10139  
2003bigsilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #2

Been a member for almost a year and this was my first post, wow. I don't get on much.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

From the looks of things you should not be a stranger.

Awesome job sir.

Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop on any other upgrades you do!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #4

That is awesome. How much did the mod cost, how long did it take you, and would you be willing to perform this mod for others?
Http://campingkansans.blogspot.com
Jhawkfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Excellent looking job. The sliding table-top is a great idea that the RV Industry should use. Too many dinettes are so tight and unless you're on the skinnier side of life it's a tight squeeze in.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #6

nice work

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #7

That looks really nice, good job.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #8

Nice!
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkfan44 View Post
That is awesome. How much did the mod cost, how long did it take you, and would you be willing to perform this mod for others?
Thanks for the compliments. I spent about $600 I think. might be a little more but I would hve to check my records. the foam is where most of the cost is. I tried to use old foam but the foam was 3 inches and the foam place standard foam was 4 inches. so I replace all the cushions with 4 inch. I was able to shorten the couch foam and reuse that. The other big cost was the fabric.
Now that I know what I wanted to do it would probably be a 3 day job. It took me almost a week because I had no idea what I really wanted to do and when I would figure out what I wanted to do I would have to goto the store and buy things, so my time was not used very efficent. Also the company I worked for closed so I was jobless and this helped me stay busy while trying to find another job. It's amazing what you can do with a little time and a credit card.
I would have no problems doing this for others. The hardest thing to do was just figuring out what i wanted. I gutted it then my father and I threw ideas at each other until we came up with what you see here. I thought I wanted a U-shaped dinette and that is why I started all of this, but this worked for me and my family much better.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Excellent looking job. The sliding table-top is a great idea that the RV Industry should use. Too many dinettes are so tight and unless you're on the skinnier side of life it's a tight squeeze in.
I love the sliding table I made. I'm 6'4" 280 lbs and now I can slide the table out of the way 18 inches sit down and then bring it back. Works great. The kids get a kick out of it when we're all eating and mom has to get up and she pushes the table with all our food on it. Not to mention I can fit 8 comfortably and more if we squeeze in all the way around the table.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #11

After seeing this post. Went out to our FW, (in the snow) and started measuring. I figure I can take the front booth, turn it 90 degrees, and put it against the wall butted up to the back booth. Making an L shape. We'll just fill the gap in the corner with a throw pillow. Then like wise turn the table 90 degrees. This configuration would also gain us an extra 2" for the sofa area. I figure if we don't like it, then I can put it back the way it was. Great post! Gave me good inspiration. Will post pics when done.
Team Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #12

Dinette spilling out of slide

This is my first post. Hi! I'll introduce myself after I finish this post.

I'm on the hunt for a hard sided trailer that can sleep 7 and dine 7. I didn't think that would be so hard, but it is proving to be. It's easy to find trailers that sleep up to 9... if everyone is a dwarf. (I'm 6'6", the wife is 5'10' and the 5 kids aren't getting any smaller.) Almost every trailer I've seen that sleeps 7 (dwarves), dines like 2 and 3/4 people in a little booth dinette. U-shaped dinettes are an improvement, if you don't have legs that are as long as, well... mine. Your trailer after the mods looks PERFECT! We'd just need to make the dinette double as a very long bed for teenagers. Between my wife and I, I believe we have the skills and tools to reproduce what you've done, but I have a few questions:

The L on the dinette appears to extend about 1'+ past the slide. (See attached picture for reference.) How did you deal with that? Is it just floating in the air? Do you have wheels supporting it from underneath? Have there been any issues with what you have done. Does it drag on the kitchen floor when operating the slide? I'm all questions!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

Name:   ldinette.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  8.5 KB
retire_early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #13

Hi sorry I haven't gotten on here much lately. To start to answer your questions I like that it extend past a little further than what the booth did. I made a custom wood cover that is pretty big to cover my stove top that matches my counter tops I made, so that spot behind the bumpout of my new bench is something like 6-8 inches and when I need to use the stove the cover fits right in there and the kids leave it alone. As for it floating yes it is. I made the back go all the way to the top of the cushions. the back is 2 layers of 7/16" plywood and if I recall right the front is a single sheet of 7/16" plywood. Being that the front and back are plywood and on end there is no way for them to sag or bend and interfear with the floor. My slide out is only about a 1/2" higher then the floor of the trailer but that is enough clearance to let the slide out more with no problem. With this mod you can't believe how much it feels bigger in there. and I can sit 6 comfortably, and if you and folding chairs to other side I have had 8 around table with still some more room left. My favorite part is the sliding table that moves out of the way to sit then comes back to you. People alway get a kick out of that.
I also have figured out if I put a lip on the front edge of bench area and make a like wall/leg for out side edge of table I can turn it into a very nice size bed.
New truck
2006 dodge 1500 mega cab w/ 5.7 Hemi (big mistake)
Old 05-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #14

Thanks for the technical response 2003bigsilverado, that's exactly what I was looking for. Subsequently, I found that Forest River actually made a "floating" dinette design in their Cherokee line. I found it on a 2009 Cherokee 27BH. It's not as big as yours, but it uses the same concept. The dinette extends beyond the slide floor. I have attached a picture for those who would like to see it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	floating-U.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	13614
retire_early is offline   Reply With Quote