Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

Changed out Storage Locks

Wanted to share my experience with changing out Storage Locks.

My camper has 4 of the CH751 style locks that most of us have. Most of them were difficult to unlock. One was really finicky. I did this solely to stop fighting with the key.

I ordered the Tubular Cam Locks from Industrial Locks and Hardware - https://shoprvlocks.com/.

Summary
Happy with them.
Would consider not ordering dust cover next time. Could have saved $20.
Would definitely order the backing pate again.
Be very careful not to lose the cam governor.
Be very careful that the cam governor is the right position.
Be very careful not to strip the lock stud with the nut that holds the locking arm.

Here are a few pics. Hope that helps somebody.

Details if interested...

Pre-Order / Ordering
Pre-order was fantastic. They have a template you can print out to help measure the parts you need. Ordering off their web site was equally as easy. Type in what you need and pay with credit card or paypal. They have different color keys and I asked for 2 different colors, which you can't do via their form, and they obliged. I was pleased.

Delivery & Packaging
Delivery was fast. 3 days. Packaging was fantastic. See attached pic. There is one page and each set of parts have their own compartment.

Installation
Installation wasn't as great. Not bad, just not great.

The cam governor, the piece that stops the key from rotating 360 degrees isn't attached. If and when if falls off, you need to be sure its not lost and is put back in the proper direction. My late 40 year old eyes struggled with this in the twilight. If I were to do it again, I'd leave the nut on at all times and only remove it when removing or adding the locking arm (cam).

The threads on the lock stud are not very strong. Its very easy to strip the lock stud. If I were to do it again, I'd take much more care with getting it threaded properly with a gentler touch. On one of them, I used a bit of teflon tape and locktite to help keep it in place. There's a 10% chance I'll need to replace that one.

I also ordered the dust covers. Those are OK. 3 problems. One didn't fit because another bracket was too close to the lock. Not much ILH could do about that. They also don't stay open, so unlocking / locking is a two hand operation. One hand opens the dust cover. One hand twists the key. Finally, they don't work with my existing Finger Pulls, so I went without finger pulls for now. If I order new ones, it'll be $5 each + S&H. I think I'll get used to the two hand operation and lack of finger pulls. If i don't they're easy enough to remove.

I ordered the backing plate that gives nut that holds the lock into the door more securely. I'm happy with that. The hole is offset so you have options for how to place it to reduce the chances that it will interfere with anything.

Usage
Now that they're installed, I'm very happy with them. The keys fit in and rotate smoothly.

Intentional modification
I intentionally installed these "upside down" so that when the key guide (the little nub on top of the key) is down, its locked. When its to the left, its unlocked. This matches the direction of the lock arm and is more intuitive for me. I also changed the thumb lock direction on each door to match this. Now vertical = locked and horizontal = unlocked / "twist left" = unlocked and "twist right" = locked for both the lock and the thumb locks.

Unintentional modification
I accidentally installed the locking arms so that they bend away from the door instead of bend towards the door. This gives them 3/8" of play when locked. The thumb locks still hold the door in place and this puts no pressure on the lock so I think I'll leave it like this.

Cost
I paid about $120 for parts and shipping and handling. I ordered 5 locks even though I only needed 4. This got me 2 extra keys (2 keys when ordering w/ 4 or less; 4 keys when ordering 5 or more) and I have a spare lock in case I need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_210646.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	203003   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190427_112143.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	203004   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190427_112150.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	203005   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190427_112156.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	203006  
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #2

This looks like a very nice upgrade.
I've always wondered why the normal locks felt so flimsy / cheap, and why even with a brand new camper they didn't work the best.

I like what you did, and may consider that with mine as well.
Thanks for sharing.
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:17 AM   #3

I changed my locks out with these. No key needed.
https://cdn3.volusion.com/dxylq.nrud...jpg?1494835309
Trobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #4

Trobec, thanks for sharing. That looks like a nice option too.

I want to share an update after using the shporvlock.com tumblers. I'm very happy with them.

First experience was a cold Chicago evening when I had to grab something out of storage. The old locks would have put up a fight. The new lock just worked.

Second experience was a long weekend trip. Worked like a dream. No issues locking / unlocking. More importantly, my wife really likes the upgrade. She's really struggled with the old locks (pretty sure she'd eventually break a key) and the new ones just work.

Hope that helps someone.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trobec View Post
And did you set the code to "751"?

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
Grammar Pedant

Two schools of thought on CH751:
1) Thieves will always get into your storage compartment. So, they either open with a key or they open with a crowbar. In both cases, you lose your stuff. Only in one case do you deal with panel damage. Better to sort of allow them access.
2) Thieves look for the easy theft and will move to the next target when confronted with security devices.

I subscribe to the 2nd theory and I changed my locks. I went the route of RV Locks and More so that I could tie it all to my door locks -- one key for every door and panel.

Thanks for the detailed post.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Two schools of thought on CH751:
1) Thieves will always get into your storage compartment. So, they either open with a key or they open with a crowbar. In both cases, you lose your stuff. Only in one case do you deal with panel damage. Better to sort of allow them access.
2) Thieves look for the easy theft and will move to the next target when confronted with security devices.

I subscribe to the 2nd theory and I changed my locks. I went the route of RV Locks and More so that I could tie it all to my door locks -- one key for every door and panel.

Thanks for the detailed post.

Along with the second, is people around you. If someone is using a crowbar to get into the storage area, people will get suspicious and report it. If they are using a key, no one will think twice (unless they know real owner isn't that person). So, I subscribe to theory 2, also.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
And did you set the code to "751"?
Now that right there is funny.
Aspendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #9

On my "someday" list is changing the standard storage locks to a keyed thumb latch arrangement. Just use the thumb latch when in a secure area, and lock it with the key when leaving the camper unattended. There was a thread in the A-frame forum called http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cks-41517.html

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #10

Me too, with those locks...
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trobec View Post
X2...Do not have to carry or look for keys any more
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #12
Newbie- 21 FBRS

Skip12- I did the same as you. My experiences were very similar. Really Impressed with the company and their product.
1. I estimated lock size, vice measuring. That resulted in an exchange. Measure your existing locks!
2. I lost one cam lock in the grass. The fall out easily as you stated.
3. I installed my cams the other way, with the addition of a washer, the lock is tight and very secure feeling.
Bottom line, the new tubular locks work so much better than the original equipment. I hated fighting the 751 keys into those locks! This was a worthwhile upgrade.
Coevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspendog View Post
Now that right there is funny.

Reminds me of a "gated" apartment complex I stayed at some years ago:

The front gate was 123, and the back gate was 321.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #14
D W

I just went to Home Depot and found 3 keyed cam locks with the same number and replaced all the CH751's. They were $5 and change each. Shoot a little graphite in them, and they work fine all year.

No need to drop a C-note for locks. Any lock will only keep an honest person out.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
X2...Do not have to carry or look for keys any more

I did the exact same thing. It is nice not having to carry keys.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #16
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Along with the second, is people around you. If someone is using a crowbar to get into the storage area, people will get suspicious and report it. If they are using a key, no one will think twice (unless they know real owner isn't that person). So, I subscribe to theory 2, also.
The problem is there has to be someone around to see them. There are numerous posts on this forum about break-ins while in storage, and nobody has a clue who it was.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #17

What size cam lock do I need?

I would like to install the combi cam locks on my 2512. Can anyone please tell me what length/ size I need? Thank You!
Dreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #18
Retired Bum

Trobec, can you share the brand name of those combination locks? They look nice. Apologize if i missed the name somewhere in the thread. Thanks
Old 12-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #19
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
I would like to install the combi cam locks on my 2512. Can anyone please tell me what length/ size I need? Thank You!
Best to wait until you can access and measure your particular RV. I would not trust that all 2512s have the same barrel length for each door. On our Roo, the locks used on it were of three different lengths: storage doors, outside shower door and bunk locks.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
The laws might vary from place to place, but there is usually a difference between "breaking and entering" and "unauthorized entry" when being charged with theft. Crooks generally know this and will avoid the more serious breaking charge when possible, so I prefer to take the locked door route.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock, storage