Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
jlf

Changing out thermostat

We have a Dometic ac thermostat that came with our 2014 silverback 5er. My husband wanted to change it out so the interior tempt. would show. WelL when he started the project, the Coleman Mack came with 6 wires:green, red,blue,white yellow and grey. The old thermostat has only three wires. Red, yellow,and white. What do we do with the extra wires? Now that he hasn't been able connect the coleman' the main thermostat will not start. We have done all the "communicating"" but still not turning on. Since we are almost to 100 degrees and climbing,we need some advice. Any suggestions? Thanks.
jlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

How many thermostats do you have? Is this a slave off another thermostat? You said the main thermostat won't start as if this one is a second unit. I would temporarily put the old one back for immediate relief until you figure this out

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

Download the conversion wiring diagram from several places on the internet. This should answer all questions.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #4

What did the old thermostat control? Do you have a main stat and a secondary stat? Red is power , yellow is the compressor or A/C, white is heat. Are you saying you bought a coleman to replace the dometic? If I understand you correctly the blue is not hooked up green and gray are high and low speed. What stat did you buy? If you have a main stat and then a secondary that only controls the other A/C The new stat will not work with out 4 wires.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:16 PM   #5
jlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
How many thermostats do you have? Is this a slave off another thermostat? You said the main thermostat won't start as if this one is a second unit. I would temporarily put the old one back for immediate relief until you figure this out
We have two Acs and two thermostats. One in the bedroom. And one in the livingroom. There was nothing wrong with the thermostats, they were working. My husband just wanted a different style. The only thing that is the holdup is the new thermostat has 6 wires. The old thermostat has three. So when he tried to hook the old one back up, it keeps blinking e1. So now problem 2
Old 05-23-2015, 11:46 PM   #6
jlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
What did the old thermostat control? Do you have a main stat and a secondary stat? Red is power , yellow is the compressor or A/C, white is heat. Are you saying you bought a coleman to replace the dometic? If I understand you correctly the blue is not hooked up green and gray are high and low speed. What stat did you buy? If you have a main stat and then a secondary that only controls the other A/C The new stat will not work with out 4 wires.
The old thermostat controlled the air,fan,and heat in the front room. We have the same exact thermostat in the bedroom. With a second ac. We purchased the Coleman Mack for because my husband wanted the indoor temp. to show. Hubby knows what to do with the red,yellow and white. He doesn't know what to do with the extra wires. The green,grey,blue, so for now he decided to put the old thermostat on, now all it does is flash E1
Old 05-24-2015, 12:52 AM   #7

Hi click library link at the the top of this page. Then go to heating and cooling and click on this link. You will find all kinds of information on different make and models of thermostat with wiring instruction and or just diagrams how to wire.

hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:55 AM   #8

ive never mixed brands like that. didnt know you could. the coleman picks up 12 volts from the heater(red) wire to run the controls, and the dometic usually from the lower board in the AC. with any luck, maybe a fuse ithe lower board is just blown?
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlf View Post
The old thermostat controlled the air,fan,and heat in the front room. We have the same exact thermostat in the bedroom. With a second ac. We purchased the Coleman Mack for because my husband wanted the indoor temp. to show. Hubby knows what to do with the red,yellow and white. He doesn't know what to do with the extra wires. The green,grey,blue, so for now he decided to put the old thermostat on, now all it does is flash E1
The green and gray should be for the fan high and low, pick which one you want and hook it to the fan terminal of the base. do not hook the blue one up to anything. Tape the blue wire up. If that is your question.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #10
jlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
The green and gray should be for the fan high and low, pick which one you want and hook it to the fan terminal of the base. do not hook the blue one up to anything. Tape the blue wire up. If that is your question.
Thank you for your responses. I am sorry for not relaying information correctly. I am the middle person. Maybe this will be a little bit clearer. There are three wires that are coming out of the trailer ( old thermostat). The new thermostat has 6 wires soldered on with no terminals. He said if the new thermostat had terminals, he could figure it out.
But now if this isn't going to work, he wants to hook up the old thermostat back up. But it's not cooperating because of the lose of communication of the thermostat and it keeps flashing the e1. How can we resolve this problem of the e1 flashing
Old 05-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Thank you for your responses. I am sorry for not relaying information correctly. I am the middle person. Maybe this will be a little bit clearer. There are three wires that are coming out of the trailer ( old thermostat). The new thermostat has 6 wires soldered on with no terminals. He said if the new thermostat had terminals, he could figure it out.
But now if this isn't going to work, he wants to hook up the old thermostat back up. But it's not cooperating because of the lose of communication of the thermostat and it keeps flashing the e1. How can we resolve this problem of the e1 flashing
What you have is a Master stat with the 6 wires, and a secondary stat with 3 then. If you want to separate the two units the, you will need to add a wire to the 3 one (pull another wire) and use 4 wires for each stat. It's hard to tell you how to do it the other way. You would need to reinstall the original stats. What are the original Stats? Who made them? I could see if I could look it on-line for you. Without knowing that I can't advise, some stats will not work. You should have gotten a service manual with them and that should tell you what the error code is. That would be helpful information. You also need to look at the circuit board at the AC in the R/A. and see if you have 4 terminals on it R,Y,G,with a C or B also.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Understood your issue from your first post. If you have the small manual for just the thermostat it contains all the fault code info. Have you done the communication reset procedure (e1 code is thermostat not communicating properly) for the thermostat? You can search this forum for thermostat issues and they do cover the e1 fault code. Sorry I can't be of more assistance to you. I do not have access to my thermostat manual (brochure) at this time.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #13

Okay I found it on the Dometic site. E1 means you lost communication
When the system determines that one of the faults listed below has occurred an error
code will be displayed in the LCD for the zone in which the error occurred. During
normal operation, a blinking zone number indicates a fault has occurred. The error
code is displayed in place of the temperature set-point.
Error Code:
E1 Loss of communication between the CCC 2 thermostat and all system power
module boards. System will shut down.
E1 Loss of communication between the CCC 2 thermostat and an individual system
power module board. The LED will display error code EI and the zone number
that lost communication. Any additional zones that loose communication will
blink in addition to the current zone.
Here is the # for Dometic they can sell you two digital stats. 1-574-294-2511, You will not be able to use the stats you trying to use. Reinstall the old ones until you get the new digital from Dometic. The stats you are trying to use are not compatible to each other.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #14

If I follow this correctly you have put the old one back like it was and are now getting the error code. Maybe you need some kind of power reboot. Or the master unit got damaged in the process.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:39 PM   #15

Here is your reset to get you going instructions, hope this helps.

When your unit was installed the appropriate dip switches on the electronic control
board were turned on to match your system configuration. Any time these settings
are changed, a system reset will need to be done before the CCC 2 thermostat will
recognize the updated selection. To do a system reset:
• Make sure the CCC 2 thermostat is in the OFF mode.
• Simultaneously press the MODE and ZONE buttons. The LCD will display
“IniT” and all available zones.
• Release the MODE and ZONE buttons.
• Press the ON/OFF button to exit system set up.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #16
jlf

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and help. We asked someone to come out to check out the thermostat he actually said the thermostat in the Rv is the newer model. But now we can't get the original thermostat to work again. So hopefully no damage occurred when the Dometic was disconnected from the RV.

Tags
thermostat