Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Cheap Heat warning

I have been involved in the long discussion on the cheap heat design and being recommended or endorsed by the RV doctor. I have been in the HVAC field all my life and retired from it. I can understand why people would want this even with the cost between $450 / $700 without being installed. I called AIRXCEL the distributors for Atwood and Coleman. They will not warranty the heating unit with this heat strip installed. I think the most comments in the thread where the use of Eden or other plug in brands. The draw back was the 20 amp circuit installed in the trailers only letting you use 1 space heater. Well in my research I found out that AIRXCEL had a system called electra-heat. It plugs into your AC return air in the ceiling. What you need is a new
1) Stat Cost $80
1) Control kit cost $78
1) add on heat kit 5600 btu / 1690 watt (max for 20 amp) $55
Total cost $ 213.00
You remove the current black box in the return air and replace it with the new, add in the heat strip package. The only draw back is that you need to add 1 extra wirier to the stat location. Your eletric heat would then come out your ceiling registers all over the unit and you would still have a propane furnace when needed. At night you could close some of the ceiling vents and direct it where you want. Your AC is on a 20 amp circuit already the same as the strip heat would be on. looks like a very easy conversion. The best part would be if you didn't stay warm you could also plug in another heater, because it is on a different breaker. This system WILL NOT take your warranty away...

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Thanks for posting. I winter camp in Mi. I am going to look into this to help keep warm.

justennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote