Old 08-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #1

Child proofing a screen door

I am surprised that I can find very little concerning ways to child proof the trailer screen doors. We have a 2 yr old grand son who is always pushing on the screen door. With only the very lite weight "Latch" holding it shut, he is only one small push from falling out the door.

Looking for a way to add a more robust latching mech which can be operated from inside and outside.

Any help would be great.

Thanks, Mark

Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
New Flagstaff Owner

I have an 18 month old and will be doing some sort of mod there myself. I will be interested in the replies.

Dave

Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #3

In our previous trailer, we added a small hook & eye type latch on the inside to keep my son from falling out of the trailer a second time.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #4

My son has been camping with our trailer sense he was 6 months old, now he is almost 4 and the screen door is no longer an issue. But when it was, we carried a plastic baby gate that kept him contained away from the screen door and it also doubled at night to keep him in the bunk house area of the trailer.

We used velcro on the plastic slide door that accessed the screen latch to keep him from opening it.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:25 PM   #5

This summer our 1 1/2 year old granddaughter was kept inside because we would fold the outside assist rail over in front of the door. We had to be on our toes though and make sure everyone remembered to fold it back over when entering or exiting the trailer! The only other thing we've tried were bungees, I drilled a hole in the slide cover, and put one hook from a small bungee in there, wrapped it around the inside oak assist bar, and back around to be hooked in the slide cover again. We were also told by a dealer that the only fool-proof system was the hook and eye. Does seem like there should be a more secure way of latching those doors; sometimes they just push open without unlatching them!

Tom and Karen
Niko the Samoyed who camps in style
2008 Cardinal LE 30RK
2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD
Rthrbcmpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Old Junior Member

Here's what my screen door has for an auxilary latch so that i can keep my 14lb min pin & very large kitty from pushing the door open, these slide latches are available @ places like Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, it was easy to install & adjust.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09007.JPG
Views:	858
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1858   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09009.JPG
Views:	591
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1859  
Days camped in:
2010 = 72
2011=10
SHOOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOSTER View Post
Here's what my screen door has for an auxilary latch so that i can keep my 14lb min pin & very large kitty from pushing the door open, these slide latches are available @ places like Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, it was easy to install & adjust.

14lb min pin??? That's not real min for a min pin. LOL
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #8

Here is what I did.
We added a pull or handle to assist in pulling the screen door shut from the inside. Wanted this anyway.

I used a piece of para cord I had lying around but any quality 1/4" rope or smaller will do fine.

Got one of the quick disconnect key rings like this http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/keychain/BCX11

Tied each end of the cord to each split ring. Just run the string through the inside handle next to the door and the other end through the pull handle we added to the door.

Our 2.5 year old can't disconnect the key ring but we can as can the older kids. You can also reach in through the slider in the screen door and undo it if need be.

Cheap and effective.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwh1970
Here is what I did.
We added a pull or handle to assist in pulling the screen door shut from the inside. Wanted this anyway.

I used a piece of para cord I had lying around but any quality 1/4" rope or smaller will do fine.

Got one of the quick disconnect key rings like this http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/keychain/BCX11

Tied each end of the cord to each split ring. Just run the string through the inside handle next to the door and the other end through the pull handle we added to the door.

Our 2.5 year old can't disconnect the key ring but we can as can the older kids. You can also reach in through the slider in the screen door and undo it if need be.

Cheap and effective.
Any pics please?
Badie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOSTER View Post

That's exactly what we need with our two doors that are ridiculously easy to to open. (One will pop open with just the Chihuahua pawing at it.)

(I bought a little hook and latch from Home Depot but the mounting bracket was too wide for the frame.)

Thanks!!

6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote