Old 10-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

Class C sway bar and steering stabilizer opinions

I have a 2017 Sunseeker 3050s. It already has the air ride on the rear suspension system.

I'm looking for opinions on adding sway bars and steering stabilizers from Roadmaster. At this point I think the best setup seems to be getting the rear sway bar and steering stabilizer for now and see how improved those are. I can always add the front sway bar later if more improvement is needed. The main point of doing this is to tamp down the shimmying of he steering wheel and prevent the RV from getting blown around by ones and passing tractor-trailers.

So would you think I'm going about this in the best way or do you know of a better approach? This is the first motorhome I have owned so I'm completely open to any thoughts you may have even if they are considerably different from mine.

Thank you,

Chris

Old 10-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
DW's Retirement Plan

Gidyupgo and I have also added the Blue Ox trac bar to our 3010DS's. I noticed a great improvement in handling, but did the sway and trac bars at the same time. I'm looking at the front sway bar next year. I hear the front end alignment does wonders.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
2012 Solera

Shouldn't shimmy with stock parts. I would recommend getting that fixed first (and soon to avoid suspension wear) before throwing aftermarket upgrades at it.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Shouldn't shimmy with stock parts. I would recommend getting that fixed first (and soon to avoid suspension wear) before throwing aftermarket upgrades at it.
Sorry, used the wrong verbiage "shimmying". It's actually constant when adjustments even on straight roads. It isn't sharp or wobbly in the steering wheel. It's a lot like driving an old pre-rack and pinion steering.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
DW's Retirement Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
In a perfect world, I would agree. But, with the same chassis being used for so many different models and weights, I would think Ford would have to over-build the chassis to accomplish your thought. My understanding, even the front alignments are almost never the same on two identical models. Quality control issues?
Stock parts installed from the factory are not going to keep the rigs from being affected by passing 18-wheelers or cross winds, which seems to be what the OP is trying to accomplish as well as the shimmying. I've come to the conclusion over the years that whatever rv I buy, it'll be up to me to make it handle the way I want; be it a tt or mh.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #6

RE

I have a Forester 2251 chev chassis that is shorter and has less overhang than your RV but the same issues and a jarring ride on rough roads like parts of I 95. A set of Koni FSD shocks and a Safety Plus steering stabilizer seemed o have cured most of my handling problems.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

Hi. I have a 2014 E450 2650S. I had the same steering problems you're experiencing. I took it in for an alignment to FR. Specs which improved it somewhat. Then i installed a Safety Plus stabilizer. It made a big difference in the handling, especially at higher speeds and in windy conditions. Overall I'm pretty happy with it now.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #8

Sway

First thing you have to do is front end alignment to FR specs they will pay for it. Reimburse you,rear bags with 60 -80 psi, then blue ox rear track bar, then Roadmaster reflex steering stabalizer. That's what I did 2015 3050s. Some even change out shocks
Old 10-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #9

My 3010 sitting on the Ford E450 was having handling problems until I focused more attention on tire and airbag pressures. These RVs seem to have challenges keeping air consistent in tires and bags. With my preflight air checks and the installed stock Ford antisway and steering stabilizer I've been pretty pleased for the past year.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
Sorry, used the wrong verbiage "shimmying". It's actually constant when adjustments even on straight roads. It isn't sharp or wobbly in the steering wheel. It's a lot like driving an old pre-rack and pinion steering.
What you are describing may be a wheel balance problem. Not only should tires be balanced for rotation, but also from side to side. You may also want to check the tires on a spin balancer to see if you have a defective tire.

The second possibility may be a dragging brake pad and a warped rotor. As the wheel rotates and rubs the warped rotor, it mimicks a shimmy. To check this, drive forward slowly with you hands off the wheel, you may see the steering wheel pulsing back and forth left to right. This may become more exaggerated if the brakes are hot from a hard stop.

Tags
class c, sway