Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #1

Coat Racks or Towel Racks

I've looked through a number members photos looking to see what others have done for coat hooks or racks or towel racks.

We purchased a new Wildwood and there is no hooks or racks in the bathroom and I wanted to know what to watch out for when mounting anything on the walls.

Can I mount on the outside walls and what method should be used along with types of hardware. Would like to put some type of shelving or hooks in between the bunks and the bathroom wall.

Thanks in advance.
Glen
Old 06-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
camping

we use the 3M command hooks- works great for the coats, have even traveled with the coats on the hook. best thing is they are moveable.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

the command hooks are excellent.
I got an over the door metal coat hook thing at target and put it over the bathroom door. our sink is outside the bathroom and we use it for towels mostly.
Inside the door I put the TP holder - don't want to put wet towels over it.
Put a regular towl bar above the toilet on the wall - used the expanding anchors (cheap, plastic) that came with the towel bar (and TP holder same deal).

Then we got a spring loaded shower pole/shelf like this Tension Bathroom Shower Caddy ? White ? Walmart.com and it works great - stays put in the back corner of the tub/shower.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

Thanks,

Didn't even consider the 3M products.

Does anyone know what the spacing is for studs?
Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
+1 for the Command Hooks. And they are making them in different colors now to look "fancy". They have a faux antique brass ones that we put up above the toilet to hang additional towels. As well as in the entrance to hang coats, keys, etc. Amazon.com: 3M Command FC12-ORB Forever Classic Medium Metal Hook, Oil Rubbed Bronze: Home Improvement

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #6

I lucked out and found a metal over the door rack that had a rubber like coating. Bought two, and have them on either side of the door. No scratches or problems. Found them at a flea market new in one of those $1 bins!
83480coachmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #7

We use two short shower rods, about $6 from Walmart sitting on top of the shower surround. The pressure ends keep them from sliding. We use hangers for coats- really good in snow and rain, because drips go into the shower pan, and the bathroom fan vent can be used to circulate, and exhaust moist air from drying items. Easy to move. Same short rods, with a comforter, keep a/c or heat up front while driving in extreme temperatures without having to use generator to run a/c or propane for heat by blocking off hallway.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #8

2susan
Do you have a picture of that?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilvius
+1 for the Command Hooks. And they are making them in different colors now to look "fancy". They have a faux antique brass ones that we put up above the toilet to hang additional towels. As well as in the entrance to hang coats, keys, etc. Amazon.com: 3M Command FC12-ORB Forever Classic Medium Metal Hook, Oil Rubbed Bronze: Home Improvement
I'm going to try the Command hooks. Also need to hang paper towel rack over the kitchen sink some place.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #10

We put an extra towel bar on the bathroom door. We hung the paper towel holder on the underside of one of our kitchen cabinets. As for the TP holder; my DH made a free-standing wood one from cherry. Problems solved, and no need to hang them on the wall.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator
We put an extra towel bar on the bathroom door. We hung the paper towel holder on the underside of one of our kitchen cabinets. As for the TP holder; my DH made a free-standing wood one from cherry. Problems solved, and no need to hang them on the wall.
The only item mounted in this unit was the TP holder

Does your door swing into the bathroom? Ours swings out.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #12

Shower rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthelake View Post
2susan
Do you have a picture of that?

Thanks
These are the kind of shower rods that when you twist they get longer/shorter. The shower has a 1" or so wide "shelf" on thee sides. The shower rods sit on that shelf. To keep the rods in position - mostly when moving, lengthen them by twisting so they are held in place snugly.

They just lift up to remove. They are sturdy enough to hold hangers with heavy coats.

Walmart sells the normal length shower rods, but they also sell other sizes, measure your shower stall and get one shorter that expands past that measurement.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan
These are the kind of shower rods that when you twist they get longer/shorter. The shower has a 1" or so wide "shelf" on thee sides. The shower rods sit on that shelf. To keep the rods in position - mostly when moving, lengthen them by twisting so they are held in place snugly.

They just lift up to remove. They are sturdy enough to hold hangers with heavy coats.

Walmart sells the normal length shower rods, but they also sell other sizes, measure your shower stall and get one shorter that expands past that measurement.
Thanks,
I get what your mean now.

Our shower has a smooth wall all the way to the ceiling. But the idea will still work.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #14

I am a real fan of "Command Hooks". Have used them in a number of places.

Looking for a solid surface to mount the TP holder, I finally attached it to the inside of the vanity door. The center panel solid wood and the location is very convenient. For a towel rack I found a five hook over the door unit at Menard's. Looks good and works very well.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #15

I use command strips and a over the door towel rack the towel rack i secured with hook and loop on the top of the door no problems at all
all of them are easy to remove
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #16

Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthelake View Post
Thanks,
I get what your mean now.

Our shower has a smooth wall all the way to the ceiling. But the idea will still work.
If you have a smooth wall to the ceiling, I would glue some support so the rods are resting their weight in that rather then expanding them tightly enough to keep them slipping down with the weight of heavy coats or dripping beach towels. It could look like a trim detail and wouldn't have to be very thick

I am afraid of cracking the fiberglass if the rods were pushing too hard.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
Old 06-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan

If you have a smooth wall to the ceiling, I would glue some support so the rods are resting their weight in that rather then expanding them tightly enough to keep them slipping down with the weight of heavy coats or dripping beach towels. It could look like a trim detail and wouldn't have to be very thick

I am afraid of cracking the fiberglass if the rods were pushing too hard.
Thanks, was thinking the same thing. walls are not meant for that much force I suspect.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpacker
I am a real fan of "Command Hooks". Have used them in a number of places.

Looking for a solid surface to mount the TP holder, I finally attached it to the inside of the vanity door. The center panel solid wood and the location is very convenient. For a towel rack I found a five hook over the door unit at Menard's. Looks good and works very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALTY
I use command strips and a over the door towel rack the towel rack i secured with hook and loop on the top of the door no problems at all
all of them are easy to remove
Thanks everyone.

I purchased a couple Command Hooks and will try them out this weekend. Our walls in the TT have a textured finish, will that weaken the Command Hooks properties?

Purchase a 4 hook rack for over the door also. Still want to put shelving between the bunks at the back wall.