Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Member
 
KS56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 30
Coleman grill modification

Just purchased a Coachmen Apex 215RBK with an outside kitchen. It comes with a Coleman 9924 series grill that works on the disposable 1 pound propane bottles. Would LOVE to be able to fuel it from the dual 20 pound tanks of the RV. My dealer told me it would be a very expensive modification since the grill is designed to work on high pressure propane, and the RV propane system is of low pressure. Anyone know of an affordable way to solve this problem?
Any help is greatly appreciated. My old RVQ grill from my previous Surveyor trailer tied in directly to the RV tanks.
__________________

__________________
KS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS56 View Post
Just purchased a Coachmen Apex 215RBK with an outside kitchen. It comes with a Coleman 9924 series grill that works on the disposable 1 pound propane bottles. Would LOVE to be able to fuel it from the dual 20 pound tanks of the RV. My dealer told me it would be a very expensive modification since the grill is designed to work on high pressure propane, and the RV propane system is of low pressure. Anyone know of an affordable way to solve this problem?
Any help is greatly appreciated. My old RVQ grill from my previous Surveyor trailer tied in directly to the RV tanks.
I'm not sure I'm following, as this seems completely backwards. I'm wondering if the dealer misunderstood.

If you have a grill that currently works off the 1lb high pressure propane bottles, it should work directly from the 20lb tanks. I have a Coleman Roadtrip NXT that I do this with. You can buy the hoses at Academy, Lowes, etc for this. These kind of grills have a regulator built into them, that lowers the pressure.

A lot of trailers also have a low pressure lp hose that has been run thru a pressure regulator downstream of the bottles. It's this low pressure hose that you have problems connecting to a grill that already has a pressure regulator built in. You then have basically 2 pressure regulators, and it's too low.

You can only connect a grill that doesn't have a low pressure regulator built in it to the low pressure RV propane hose. I think the RVQII is like that, but don't know about the original RVQ.

You could only connect the RVQII to the low pressure hose that some RV's have........but would need an regulator/adapter (that RVQ has on their website) to hook it up directly to 1lb or larger propane cylinders.

http://www.rvqgrill.com/cart/item.as...ue&pgnum=1&p0=

If you coleman stove uses 1lb bottles, then all you need is a hose to run from it to your propane cylinders direct (you can't use the RV's low pressure grill hose). You can buy this hose at several places as I stated above.

We were just actually discussing all this the other day in this thread:

Coleman stove hookup
__________________

__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
JonClark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 174
I asked the same question to my dealer about my 320bhds. Said you have to get a special high pressure hose. I decided to wait and see how it goes with the one pounder first.

kids think tt stands for tan turd.
__________________
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,363
Click image for larger version

Name:	71QkQboAEjL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	52502

You jut need a hose like this one or similar, one end fits where the small bottle usually goes and the other to a tank. You can get this at amazon.
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840


I have two hoses that go from the tree to the grill and camp stove.
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Member
 
KS56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I'm not sure I'm following, as this seems completely backwards. I'm wondering if the dealer misunderstood.

If you have a grill that currently works off the 1lb high pressure propane bottles, it should work directly from the 20lb tanks. I have a Coleman Roadtrip NXT that I do this with. You can buy the hoses at Academy, Lowes, etc for this. These kind of grills have a regulator built into them, that lowers the pressure.

A lot of trailers also have a low pressure lp hose that has been run thru a pressure regulator downstream of the bottles. It's this low pressure hose that you have problems connecting to a grill that already has a pressure regulator built in. You then have basically 2 pressure regulators, and it's too low.

You can only connect a grill that doesn't have a low pressure regulator built in it to the low pressure RV propane hose. I think the RVQII is like that, but don't know about the original RVQ.

You could only connect the RVQII to the low pressure hose that some RV's have........but would need an regulator/adapter (that RVQ has on their website) to hook it up directly to 1lb or larger propane cylinders.

1# Propane Bottle Regulator from RVQgrill.com

If you coleman stove uses 1lb bottles, then all you need is a hose to run from it to your propane cylinders direct (you can't use the RV's low pressure grill hose). You can buy this hose at several places as I stated above.

We were just actually discussing all this the other day in this thread:

Coleman stove hookup
My problem is that the grill is located at the back of the RV, about 25 feet from the location of the tanks. To run a line that far plus all connectors is very costly. Can buy a lot of 1 pound cans of propane for the cost.
Thanks anyways for the reply.
__________________
KS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
My problem is that the grill is located at the back of the RV, about 25 feet from the location of the tanks. To run a line that far plus all connectors is very costly. Can buy a lot of 1 pound cans of propane for the cost.

I have recently learned you can refill the one pound tank from a larger bulk tank. Handy and eco friendly. Recycle reuse!
__________________
davebuech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS56 View Post
My problem is that the grill is located at the back of the RV, about 25 feet from the location of the tanks. To run a line that far plus all connectors is very costly. Can buy a lot of 1 pound cans of propane for the cost.
Thanks anyways for the reply.

How hard is it to just loosen one of the RV's propane cylinders and carry it to the back of the trailer?

__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #9
Member
 
KS56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
How hard is it to just loosen one of the RV's propane cylinders and carry it to the back of the trailer?

Never thought of that, great idea, best solution so far.
Thank you very much!
__________________
KS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 189
sell the propane grill and get a treager wood pellet grill, believe me you will love it,had ours about 3 months and use it more than the house stove,and it fits in a small basement area, and also use it anytime we are camping.
__________________

__________________
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cat, modifications

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.