Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #1

Coleman grill modification

Just purchased a Coachmen Apex 215RBK with an outside kitchen. It comes with a Coleman 9924 series grill that works on the disposable 1 pound propane bottles. Would LOVE to be able to fuel it from the dual 20 pound tanks of the RV. My dealer told me it would be a very expensive modification since the grill is designed to work on high pressure propane, and the RV propane system is of low pressure. Anyone know of an affordable way to solve this problem?
Any help is greatly appreciated. My old RVQ grill from my previous Surveyor trailer tied in directly to the RV tanks.
KS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS56 View Post
Just purchased a Coachmen Apex 215RBK with an outside kitchen. It comes with a Coleman 9924 series grill that works on the disposable 1 pound propane bottles. Would LOVE to be able to fuel it from the dual 20 pound tanks of the RV. My dealer told me it would be a very expensive modification since the grill is designed to work on high pressure propane, and the RV propane system is of low pressure. Anyone know of an affordable way to solve this problem?
Any help is greatly appreciated. My old RVQ grill from my previous Surveyor trailer tied in directly to the RV tanks.
I'm not sure I'm following, as this seems completely backwards. I'm wondering if the dealer misunderstood.

If you have a grill that currently works off the 1lb high pressure propane bottles, it should work directly from the 20lb tanks. I have a Coleman Roadtrip NXT that I do this with. You can buy the hoses at Academy, Lowes, etc for this. These kind of grills have a regulator built into them, that lowers the pressure.

A lot of trailers also have a low pressure lp hose that has been run thru a pressure regulator downstream of the bottles. It's this low pressure hose that you have problems connecting to a grill that already has a pressure regulator built in. You then have basically 2 pressure regulators, and it's too low.

You can only connect a grill that doesn't have a low pressure regulator built in it to the low pressure RV propane hose. I think the RVQII is like that, but don't know about the original RVQ.

You could only connect the RVQII to the low pressure hose that some RV's have........but would need an regulator/adapter (that RVQ has on their website) to hook it up directly to 1lb or larger propane cylinders.

http://www.rvqgrill.com/cart/item.as...ue&pgnum=1&p0=

If you coleman stove uses 1lb bottles, then all you need is a hose to run from it to your propane cylinders direct (you can't use the RV's low pressure grill hose). You can buy this hose at several places as I stated above.

We were just actually discussing all this the other day in this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...kup-59142.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #3

I asked the same question to my dealer about my 320bhds. Said you have to get a special high pressure hose. I decided to wait and see how it goes with the one pounder first.

kids think tt stands for tan turd.
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
DDC

Click image for larger version

Name:	71QkQboAEjL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	52502

You jut need a hose like this one or similar, one end fits where the small bottle usually goes and the other to a tank. You can get this at amazon.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #5

I have two hoses that go from the tree to the grill and camp stove.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I'm not sure I'm following, as this seems completely backwards. I'm wondering if the dealer misunderstood.

If you have a grill that currently works off the 1lb high pressure propane bottles, it should work directly from the 20lb tanks. I have a Coleman Roadtrip NXT that I do this with. You can buy the hoses at Academy, Lowes, etc for this. These kind of grills have a regulator built into them, that lowers the pressure.

A lot of trailers also have a low pressure lp hose that has been run thru a pressure regulator downstream of the bottles. It's this low pressure hose that you have problems connecting to a grill that already has a pressure regulator built in. You then have basically 2 pressure regulators, and it's too low.

You can only connect a grill that doesn't have a low pressure regulator built in it to the low pressure RV propane hose. I think the RVQII is like that, but don't know about the original RVQ.

You could only connect the RVQII to the low pressure hose that some RV's have........but would need an regulator/adapter (that RVQ has on their website) to hook it up directly to 1lb or larger propane cylinders.

1# Propane Bottle Regulator from RVQgrill.com

If you coleman stove uses 1lb bottles, then all you need is a hose to run from it to your propane cylinders direct (you can't use the RV's low pressure grill hose). You can buy this hose at several places as I stated above.

We were just actually discussing all this the other day in this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...kup-59142.html
My problem is that the grill is located at the back of the RV, about 25 feet from the location of the tanks. To run a line that far plus all connectors is very costly. Can buy a lot of 1 pound cans of propane for the cost.
Thanks anyways for the reply.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #7

My problem is that the grill is located at the back of the RV, about 25 feet from the location of the tanks. To run a line that far plus all connectors is very costly. Can buy a lot of 1 pound cans of propane for the cost.

I have recently learned you can refill the one pound tank from a larger bulk tank. Handy and eco friendly. Recycle reuse!
davebuech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks anyways for the reply.

How hard is it to just loosen one of the RV's propane cylinders and carry it to the back of the trailer?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
How hard is it to just loosen one of the RV's propane cylinders and carry it to the back of the trailer?

Never thought of that, great idea, best solution so far.
Thank you very much!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #10

sell the propane grill and get a treager wood pellet grill, believe me you will love it,had ours about 3 months and use it more than the house stove,and it fits in a small basement area, and also use it anytime we are camping.
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Never thought of that, great idea, best solution so far.
Thank you very much!
Then, all you need is the adapter hose, like others have shown you. If you have a local Lowe's, they usually have them in stock too.

Shop BernzOmatic 3/8-in 0.3125-in x 48-in Male-Female Propane Hose at Lowes.com

Tags
cat, modifications