Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #1

Compartment storage drawer mod

In the Sabre 291 BHTS, there is a storage area under the fridge, which is what used to be used for the exterior slide-out tv option. Now, we hadn't opted for the pull-out tv, but thought we would still have the exterior access hatch. When our camper arrived my wife was pleased to find that the area was utilized as an interior storage compartment.

But then she asked me if i could do something about that hinged door. I had built a similar contraption in the kitchen in our house for the trash can, where the door is attached to the drawer, so it all functions like a one piece drawer, but looks like just another cabinet door when closed.

I simply removed the cabinet hinges and attached the door directly to the hidden sliding drawer. I had to tweak the drawer slides a little for square, since now that the door is part of the sliding mechanism it exposed the fact that the hidden drawer was not perfectly square and plum in the hole

Sabre_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #2

Looks great. It makes a lot more sense to have the door attached.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #3

Great job!

You must have some hardware that makes the drawer hard to pull out so it doesn't roll out every turn?
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInColo View Post
Great job!

You must have some hardware that makes the drawer hard to pull out so it doesn't roll out every turn?
Yeah, if you notice in the first couple of pictures, the cabinet door catch is still there (top, center of the inside of the door) which holds it in, at least as good as it did while it was on the hinge. I measured very carefully (while the door was still on hinges) so that the door would land in exactly the same spot as it did when it was mounted on the hinge, so that i wouldn't have to reposition the catch. It's basically the same hardware that intends to keep all the other doors from opening.

Sabre_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #5

I see the catch now, missed it earlier. I bet that took a couple measurements--glad it matched up perfectly! Had I done it, it would not have been even close and I would have ended up with a bungee cord (or duct tape), LOL.
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #6

Well done!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInColo View Post
Great job!

Replace the catches shown with heavy duty 3 blade magnetic catches. They don't get bent and will hold very tightly.
roreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #8

Nice mod!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote