Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
Failure is my business

Convert external gas grill to 2-burner stove

Our 832IKBS came equipped with the outside grill and shelf that clip to a rail on the DS. I like the Quick disconnect gas fittings and the fact that it is already plumbed, but after using it a couple times on our first outing, I determined that it is a terrible idea to grill right next to the side of the camper as well as under the awning.

I don't want to have to clean all that greasy smoke residue off anything. (And it really doesn't grill terribly well in any case.)

I figured there had to be a better use for that thing and I really wanted a stove outside so we would not have to cook in the trailer all the time.

I looked around and found a reasonably cheap 2-burner gas stove on Amazon and when it arrived I gutted the gas grill, cut up the gas stove and mounted the burners in the grill shell.

(Fair warning, Jesse James, I'm not so the metal work is more than crude.)

It works like a champ. Coffee, breakfast, whatever, it cooks well and no more ludicrous smoke under the awning. It even still fits in the carry bag.

I need to add some combing to the edges of the burner controls as though I de-burred and rounded them you really don't want to bump into them.

It certainly ain't pretty, but I'm all about function over form so it works for me.

Cheers!
Old 07-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #2

We've been using our grill for the intended purpose, hooked on the side of the camper, under the awning for 5 years. There is no "greasy smoke residue" anywhere.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #3

Looks good. We used our out door BBQ on our SOB trailer for 9 years, under middle of awning. I thought there would be grease also but it never happened. In fact, replaced it with a larger one because as you said, it did not work well. Modded up a Costco stainless BBQ and can cook 6 burgers at a time, not just 2.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #4

I'm also not terribly impressed with the performance of the grill that came with our 27VRL. There's absolutely no heat in the middle.

We ditch it during our last 3 week trip. Bought this Cuisinart portable that cranks out 20,000 BTU. After some "shmodifications", a little welding, tore off the regulator and put on the quick connect from the old grill, it now fits the rails like the old grill and hooks in to the plumbed grill LP line. Much better overall. Grills like a champ!

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CGG...tabletop+grill
Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #5

tossed the outide grill

Shortly after we purchased the 2015 MiniLite, I got rid of the outside grill
because of the grease and smoke.
I had my dealer contact the POPUP division of FR and ordered an outside STOVE. Three burner and works great.
dannyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

I bought a coleman road trip. I also bought a griddle for it and a stove top accessory for it, it does everything.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:43 AM   #7

Stove Mods

I modified a propane stove to hook to the quick disconnect, but it doesn't put out enough pressure to cook well. The grill that came with my ROO doesn't put out much heat. You'd have to be really patient to cook on it. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 07-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyeager View Post
Shortly after we purchased the 2015 MiniLite, I got rid of the outside grill
because of the grease and smoke.
I had my dealer contact the POPUP division of FR and ordered an outside STOVE. Three burner and works great.
danny,

can you post a pic of that stove? if you don't mind telling what you paid I would like to know or PM if you don't want it public. I currently have a stove from an older pop up but its kinda big and bulky, also sits rather high when using the grill rail so I set it on a table.

thanks,
craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camping01_2015.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	114493  
Old 07-20-2016, 01:34 AM   #9

That was a smart mod. I would have never thought of doing that. In a way you have turned it into a diy magic chef. On the cheap.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #10
Failure is my business

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
I modified a propane stove to hook to the quick disconnect, but it doesn't put out enough pressure to cook well. The grill that came with my ROO doesn't put out much heat. You'd have to be really patient to cook on it. Anyone else have this issue?
I didn't really think about it as the gas line basically runs from the tanks straight back past the QD for the stove so there really isn't any restriction. No noted issues with my conversion in any case. Will definitely burn your pancakes. DAMHIK.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
Did you leave the BBQ gas regulator in the line after hooking it to the quick disconnect? The pressure in the quick disconnect line is reduced to 1/2 psi from your RV at the tank and a second regulator will reduce the pressure again. You need to remove the second regulator.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #12

tossed the outide grill

Craigster MI,

I recall paying about $150 (but I sold my grill for $50). It's a 3 burner stove and looks like the rangetop on the inside. It's pretty big and sits high - but I'm 6 foot 3 and I like the height. Sorry I can't do a pic but I think if you went on the rockwood popup site you could find a picture. It does work great.

- dann
dannyeager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas