Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Converter/charger with battery upgrade question

My current battery setup is a single group 24M 12V battery that only has 70Ah. I have a Yamaha 2400 generator that serves us well when boondocking, but I'm in the research stages to upgrade my battery setup. My thoughts are to go to a dual 6V (golf cart) setup to increase my Ahs and subsequently increase the reserve battery power. If I do that, will I need to change my on-board converter/charger? I'm not certain of the brand or any other specifics of my current on-board converter/charger (I assume it is a 3 stage), but will check this weekend when I get to the camper (2012.5 Roo 233S).
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by biken201
My current battery setup is a single group 24M 12V battery that only has 70Ah. I have a Yamaha 2400 generator that serves us well when boondocking, but I'm in the research stages to upgrade my battery setup. My thoughts are to go to a dual 6V (golf cart) setup to increase my Ahs and subsequently increase the reserve battery power. If I do that, will I need to change my on-board converter/charger? I'm not certain of the brand or any other specifics of my current on-board converter/charger (I assume it is a 3 stage), but will check this weekend when I get to the camper (2012.5 Roo 233S).
Should be fine depending on what you have for a converter/ charger.

When I went to dual batteries on my tt
I upgraded from 55 amp to 70 and from a wfco to a inteli power progressive dynamics..
Did I have to ? ....... probably not .
Peace of mind ? Probably .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

As long as you wire the 6 volt batteries in series, you current converter/charger will work. You will need to wire them in a series anyway for them to work on a 12 volt system.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

remember when you use an external battery tender or fast charger to use the neg on one battery and the positive on the other. (not the ones connected by a wire! )
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have an early 2012 233S and so probably the same converter as you. Mine is a WFCO 8955. Here's the manual (WFCO 8900 Converter).

You can use your existing converter with a dual-battery bank. In your case, you are looking at two 6-volts wired in series. The converter essentially sees this as one big battery.

The WFCO's three stages are:
  • Absorption Mode at 13.6 Vdc range
  • Bulk Mode for when the converter thinks the batteries are less than 50% charged will give 14.4 Vdc for a maximum of four hours.
  • Float Mode is a trickle voltage of 13.2 Vdc if the RV is not being used for approximately 48 hours.

You need to be aware of a couple of issues to do this right:

First, the WFCO doesn't really enter into bulk mode that easily or for long enough to adequately charge my two 6-volt batteries (Trojan T-145s). Also, many deep cycle batteries need a higher voltage than the converter can provide.

You can change out the WFCO, which is just a fair converter, for a PD that Turbo recommended or you can use a portable charger.

Since Trojan batteries need 14.8 volts and because I haven't changed out my WFCO, yet, I use a portable 40amp 3-stage charger from Stanley that hits the mark. I charge through the converter for convenience and when I am using the trailer, but use the charger when I am at home.

Second, sulfation occurs when a lead acid battery is deprived of a full charge, which will happen if the converter cannot charge to its recommended volts as explained above. Crystals form within the battery and eventually larger crystals reduce the batteries active capacity. See Sulfation and How to Prevent it.

The WFCO 8900 series does not have the ability to de-sulfate the batteries so periodic reconditioning is recommended to maintain a battery's optimum performance and prolong its life.

On a healthy battery bank, reconditioning mode on my charger sends a series of electrical pulses to break up the crystalline form of lead sulfate and turn these chemicals into useful battery electrolytes. There are better devices to de-sulfate than the reconditioning mode on my portable, but this works for me as my batteries are only 18-months old and I had done this from the start.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #6

Thanks guys! This is a prime example of why this site is awesome... Not just a simple yes or no, but an explanation how and why.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery