Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #1

Thumbs down converting single lp tank to two lp tanks

Have a Forest River Viking 17 FQ which came with a single lp propane setup. I would like to convert it to two tanks and was wondering if anyone else has done this. I've seen bits and pieces of this done on YouTube but I don't like messing around with gas lines etc. I was in Campingworld picking up a few things and I asked for a ballpark quote but got the stock answer "Need to see the coach first". Has anyone had this done and have a ballpark $$$$ or done it yourself?
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #2

I think this could be done with average mechanical skills. As long as your frame is wide enough to support two tanks, you will need a dual cylinder tank rack, a dual tank regulator/switchover assembly and the hoses and fittings. All these parts are likely on Amazon. Be sure to check all fittings for leaks when done. Or even easier would be just go to a bigger single tank.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #3

Try a residential propane supplier. Parts are probably less than at a RV dealer and other than the double tank tray available there. Nothing should change from the regulator back. Nothing like an auto switch regulator! Guess you have a single 20# ~~ if 40# is not needed consider going to a single 30#. No matter how you increase the amount of propane the tongue weight of the trailer will increase.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #4

you will need

-bracket for x2 30lbs tanks $30
-dual auto switch regulator $70
-x2 pig tails $40
-x1 longer hose to hook to trailer $20
-x1 regulator bracket $5

i did the conversion on mine i absolutely love it
Redneckstylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:44 AM   #5

Hey king james.. have you done that yet? I am needing the opposite. I am heavy on the tongue and want to trade you. Let me know.
Thanks
ricksterv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #6

Not Yet

I'm still in the planning stage of my projects. I'm so close to my max weight when fully loaded I'm procrastinating if it's worth it or not. Since I live in FL I'm thinking it may not be such a big deal if my furnace run out of gas in the middle of the night (my wife will just have to get an extra blanket). I think a tank gauge and a google search of refill locations might be my best bet.

Good luck on your tank project.
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJames View Post
I'm still in the planning stage of my projects. I'm so close to my max weight when fully loaded I'm procrastinating if it's worth it or not. Since I live in FL I'm thinking it may not be such a big deal if my furnace run out of gas in the middle of the night (my wife will just have to get an extra blanket). I think a tank gauge and a google search of refill locations might be my best bet.

Good luck on your tank project.
KingJames - I have an extra auto switchover regulator with bracket (new) if you need one (Cavagna) for $35.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #8

Tounge weight is just a guideline lol my projet is finished I love it best mod I ever did !
Redneckstylin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank