Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #41

I like DeWalt and Ryobi Tools. Sears Batteries NEVER last and are expensive. I would consider Rigid tools...they offer a life time warranty with free battery replacement! What a deal!
turbotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #42

I have never been able to charge any of my drills with a 12V inverter, the chargers refuse to take the power and will trip out internally.

The best Drills I have ever owned has been from Hilti, but I don't recommend buying one for use around the house or campsite unless you are drowning in cash. If you break it under warranty they will courier you a repaired or replaced one in a couple of days at most. The service is amazing, the quality is amazing, the price is crazy. My TE60 cuts through concrete like butter.

The best drill I have found for the money is from Makita, I have also owned and used and used up a few dewalts, millwaukees, bosch and others.

for going up and down though any drill would do, keep the jacks well lubricated and free of dirt, obstructions etc, and this should be a very easy job, you aren't actually jacking up the trailer, just putting a leg down to stabilize it. The hand crank is good exercise though.
althebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #43
Site Team - Lou

Maybe not enough inverter or enough house battery?

My 2500 watt inverter powers my Dewalt 18volt battery charger just fine.
However, it beats the crap out of my house batteries, but in a pinch it works.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #44

On second thought, I may buy a Ryobi cordless kit with 120 volt charger and run if off my inverter as I do now with my Dewalt. Then if the 120 volt charger dies, I'll invest in a 12 volt Ryobi auto charger.

Thanks to you guys I now have a good plan!

Still not sure if my Dewalt is dying or not. Drilling holes in pine boards last week something seemed to break internally. The motor would spin but not the chuck. So I took it apart and looked at it (saw nothing amiss) and put it back together. Then it worked okay again!

Years ago my Dewalt stopped running. So I took it apart and cleaned the commutator. That solved the problem. Had to bend metal tabs to get brushes out and the thing apart and bend them again to put it together. That was scary but it's worked okay ever since.

This is an older 14.4 volt DW996 hammer/drill that was factory refurbished when I got it. Already then it looked rather used. But it has been a very good drill (original batts!). But the new Dewalts don't sound as good.
Paul Stamser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:10 AM   #45
CampeRooo

I was in H.D. one day and saw a lifetime warranty on the ridgid brand product. Gave it a shot and I've been satisfied ever since. With registering the product, I got a lifetime warranty against workmanship and defects for the drill, both batteries and the charger. I think craftsman still does that as well, but I haven't looked lately. The ridgid product also has a full 3 year replacement warranty and a 90 day satisfaction guarantee. The price was right for me at the time and it came with a material bag to carry it all in (one of those holiday specials I think it was). I like that I can charge the lithium ion batteries in minutes instead of hours like my old one. Good luck on your search!

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
Love DeWalt. This one is a good one. You can purchase just the Drill by itself if you already have a Charger and battery from another 18v deWalt.
Bought two of these. One for the 5er and one for the house. Provides backup/interchangeable batteries and a 'spare' charger - just in case.
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #47

My dewalt radio has a one hour charger built in to it .
The sound and reception is very good.
it will carge NICD/NIMH and LI-ION..7.2--18Volt.
4:10 rearend - Roxy the puppy when allowed.
41 Days camped in 2011 and counting.
rbarrieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #48
Dismember

I have an 18V Makita driver and hammer/drill combo that I use. The batteries charge very quickly. The drill makes short work of putting the stabilizer jacks and x-chocks in position too.

2010 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 5.7L 4X4
TimeFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote