Old 03-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #1

cover for slide /switches

The two slide switches on my Wildwood LE 29BHBS are clustered together with light switches. They are located on the wall at the entrance door above the sink to the immediate left of the door entrance and could easily be switched on or off by mistake when trying to hit the light switches. Also the switch to my water heater is low where a child can push it, not good for the water heater if it isnt full. Also the electrical panel is on the floor where a child could access it, although there doesnt seem to be open witring it could be a bit of a problem and not something i want a child to mess with.

Has anyone bought or made a cover to protect the slides from being moved accidentally by people turning the lights on or off and accedentally hitting the slide switch that is within a few inches of them . I dont think you are suppose to have weight on the slide when is is moving or in its in position. I would also like to cover my water heater on/off/reset switch, and put a lock of some sort on the front cover to my electrical panel.

Any ideas are welcome. I am looking for something simple to modify and mount over these to make them a bit less accessible, maybe a flip plastic cover.

got any ideas or things your have done to address this problem . Or has this been a problem for any of you ?

thanks

Old 03-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Same problem here.... if the light switches weren't there too I'd install a panel like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	08trailershow-7.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	757

Name:	08trailershow-8.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	758

However, what I did was very simple. There is kid's candy called gummy pizza, about an inch in diameter and tastes like silicone rubber, but comes in a rather nice clear plastic container - formed to hold the candy and about a 1/2 inch deep. I trimmed it to form a cover that I simply tape over the slide switch with Scotch invisible tape. You can't even notice it but its rigid enough that you have to lift it to operate the switch. At least that saves you from hitting the wrong switch in the dark. I imagine the same thing could be used for the w/h switch.

Depending on child age though, I'd go over all the unsafe areas of the trailer with the child. I'd also adjust the tension of the catch that holds the panel door closed to make it more difficult for a very young child to open it. A lock or other devise to secure it might hinder getting into the panel quickly if you need to.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #3

thanks, nice cover, is that your electrical panelboard for your RV. I will look around for something for my switches

i appreciate the input

phil
Old 03-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #4

As far as your switchs go, you can use a clear lock box. The box I am talking about is what is used for thermostats, you will notice them in stores. Very easy to install, and they come in different sizes. As far as your electrical box, you can use a steel flat bar that is secured on one side and has a locking device on the other side. The bar is off set on both ends so it can go over the door and attach to the wall. I don't know where you are located, but if you have a Lowes or Home improvement store, go to the Electrical dept you may see it there if not ask someone for ELECTRICAL SAFETY DEVICES.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #5

Slideout Switch

I bought a clear outdoor electrical box; the box fit over the switch and it has a door that swings open. You can also put a lock on it where the box closes.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
thanks, nice cover, is that your electrical panelboard for your RV. I will look around for something for my switches

i appreciate the input

phil
Naw, just a panel I admired at the trailer show. Thought it was a cool idea. Originally I had a plan to replace the slide switches with cool pop-up-cover-switches like fire switches in a fighter jet. Surprisingly, wife was not all that impressed with the idea though.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I will pickup a couple boxes. It is great to bounce ideas off of such friendly people. Well, we plan to go to the beach saturday and try our our new camper. we are having it delivered and stored there since we dont have a TV big enough. Hope we have a good first trip, it is a wildwood LE 29BHBS, we loaded up last weekend and are ready to go.

Happy camping all
Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #8

i know ours is big, but it does keep everything out of touch
the outside is a cork board for messages and a neat little holder to catch JUNK
plus i added a few hooks for keys
a note about the slide switch, ours has two that have to be ON to mve teh slides
one kills power to teh actual switch you have to hold down to get em to move
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 015.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	765   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 38.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	766  
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
a note about the slide switch, ours has two that have to be ON to mve teh slides
one kills power to teh actual switch you have to hold down to get em to move
That's a good set-up, did it come that way? The bulletin board idea is smart too.