Old 05-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #31
A bit too late to help you but perhaps other will benefit. Our Samsung is 12vdc. Power supply has an in-line transformer/converter much like the supply for a laptop. I have made up a new cord with a 12VDC lighter plug and appropriate plug for the tv.
Many cpaps can run off a light duty 150 watt inverter. Something to remember during power outages.

Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #32
Originally Posted by dlhigdon View Post
So I have a few pictures to update everyone on the status of the inverter and auto transfer switch install.

First a picture of some of the equipment and tools I used to complete the install.

Attachment 51644

Next I had to remove the double light switch for the through storage light and the light by the king pin hitch. This was removed so I could cut the hole to install the inverter.

Attachment 51645
Attachment 51646

Once the switch was removed I made a template of the inverter out of cardboard and cut the hole for the inverter in the 3/4" plywood between the through storage and the factory battery storage compartment.

Attachment 51647
Attachment 51648

This was the best location I could find for the inverter due to the close proximity to batteries and the 12 VDC terminals for the camper DC power supply. (I removed the original 12V battery when we bought the camper last summer and installed 2 new 6V golf cart batteries in the front storage compartment.)

The Go Power Automatic Transfer switch is installed behind the finished wall in the through storage compartment. (I forgot to get a picture of the transfer switch install location to post. I will do that when I go to the fifth wheel next time.)

I removed the converter/charger from under the main electrical panel and installed it inside the factory battery compartment with the inverter and tied it into the transfer switch as per the schematics supplied with the Go Power Auto Transfer switch.

Attachment 51649
Attachment 51650

I have a few more things to do in order to put the system in operation. If you are interested I will post more pictures and description of the work I complete as I go. Hope you enjoy the post!
Just a bit of advice on your install. You really need to make that battery compartment gastight as it once was and most of all do not install any sources of ignition in that space such as switching relays with open contacts. Batteries generate explosive gases and can and will explode in their space with a source of ignition. Ask Herk for a few choice photos. Otherwise it looks good and enjoy the results.

VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #33
Hi VinceU,

Thank you for your concern. I have moved the batteries to the front compartment and vented them to the outside of the camper. All the power is in the old battery compartment for eases of installation. I moved the batteries last year when I bought the fiver. I can upload pictures if anyone would like to see them.
dlhigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:39 AM   #34
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
If a 120V appliance, such as your CPAP, draws 10 amps on 120V it will draw a little more than 100 Amps on 12 volts. Make sure the wires are plenty big enough and you have a large battery bank that can supply 100 Amps for 8 hours.
Is this right? Your CPAP draws 10 amps at 120 VAC? 1200 watts seems like a lot of power for a CPAP.

The DW's unit is 200 watts (the humidifier unit I added draws another 150 watts) for a total of 350 watts.

200 watts is 17 amps DC and 350 watts is just under 30 amps DC. The CPAP draw is constant but the humidifier's load varies according to the water temperature (whether it is heating or not).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

inverter, power