Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Jan Goldfield

Dead bodies under the bed

Remember all that inaccessible space under the 28bh bed. You could use the space if you lift a piece of the heaviest plywood ever made that has your mattress on the top of it. Someone here suggested storing dead bodies under there, another spare tires or flat ones.

Not to be deterred nor wishing to disturb all those bodies or tires, as the case might be, I used one plumbing access panel on each side of the bed.

Behind the access panels I put plastic tubs on their sides. I can put anything in there now except bodies or tires. The biggest problem is their *whiteness*. Several wrinkled and crumpled up pieces of contact paper later, I might learn to like white or just put the bedspread sideways.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
Remember all that inaccessible space under the 28bh bed. You could use the space if you lift a piece of the heaviest plywood ever made that has your mattress on the top of it. Someone here suggested storing dead bodies under there, another spare tires or flat ones.

Not to be deterred nor wishing to disturb all those bodies or tires, as the case might be, I used one plumbing access panel on each side of the bed.

Behind the access panels I put plastic tubs on their sides. I can put anything in there now except bodies or tires. The biggest problem is their *whiteness*. Several wrinkled and crumpled up pieces of contact paper later, I might learn to like white or just put the bedspread sideways.
Gee, it might have been a bit easier to have someone install gas struts on the bed to help lift it.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Jan Goldfield

@dimurrrw You like helping me spend money. I could just see the struts giving way on my fingers....or head.

2009 Ford 150
Old 08-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #4

The bed in our trailer has the gas struts to hold it up, but after we put the memory foam over top of the mattress, it is a bit heavy for them. I went to the store and bought an expandable shower rod and use it to prop up the bed when I need to get under there. It works fine as long as you don't hit it.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
MrT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
I could just see the struts giving way on my fingers....or head.
Well, in the event that you decide to put higher-capacity struts in, please consider doing the Grand Rapids economy a favor by purchasing SUSPA-brand struts.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Jan Goldfield

I have memory foam on top of the mattress as well. Makes for one heavy load to pick and hold up. I like my access panels - except for that *white* problem. Maybe I will paint them.

2009 Ford 150
Old 09-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to pjeffreysr1
In our 2010 Wildwood 26bhxl I use a piece of 1 1/2" pvc as a prop. We store our "wired" camp 'cook' table (used for electric skillets/convection oven/etc outside) I am definitely looking onto some gas struts. Any suggestions as to barnd/strength I should use? Havw a mattress w Queen size 4" memory foam topper.
pjeffreysr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Jan Goldfield

I couldn't even pick up the plywood with a mattress and 4" of memory foam on top. So access panels were my only option.
If I need room for bigger stuff, maybe I will have a look at struts. Like you PJ, I am looking for suggestions.

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #9

You all just found a use for those almost useless slide locks that a lot of us have, but can't figure out how to use! Use them to hold up the plywood while accessing the compartment. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
Jan Goldfield

For me it's the lifting of the plywood to begin with. I destroyed one shower rod and resorted to using a Leki hiking stick to hold the thing up. Just once. That was right after we started this month long voyage and the plywood has not been lifted since. I will have gas cylinders installed when we return home.

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #11

I think you will really like those, Pondlady. We have actually had to adjust ours down on a Wildwood we had, as they were so strong the bed would "float" if we weren't careful.

You certainly should be able to lift it rather easily once the struts are installed. And you will love the storage.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #12

Get gas springs and accessories here
McMaster-Carr
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #13

My 2607 was similar in design. The under bed plywood was screwed down, and there were two small drawers installed under the bed, one from each side.

I unscrewed the plywood, installed a long piano hinge. I then uninstalled the drawer systems, unscrewed the drawer-face from the drawers, installed hinges and a magnetic catch, and made them access doors.

After attempting to find a proper size/strength gas strut with the right monting brackets, I gave-up and made a prop-rod out of an old broomstick, with a "socket" for it on the underside of the plywood made out of a screw-on door bumper.

I now have the entire under-bunk area, where we store extra bedding - an extra quilt, extra sheets, two comforters, extra pillows, a step stool, the "spare" globes for the awning lights (red, white, & blue for holidays), and a couple of games.

Much better use of the space! Anyone want/need any drawer hardware?

BTW - Total job cost, less than $30, with the piano hinge being the most expensive part.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #14

Any chance you can re post the pics?
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed