Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #1

Question Decal Removal From Windows of 2015 Wildcat 28 RKX

I did search and find an archived reply to this question from another owner in 2014 but I don't think the answers back then were entirely correct.
I too want to remove the decals that shouldn't have been put across the large picture windows of our still new 2015 Maxx trailer. Taking the "style" too far in my opinion by covering the windows.

In the original reply one suggestion was the tried and true and sure to scratch the glass 'razor blade scraper' way, the other was the more modern 'hot air gun' way to heat and remove.
The commenter also warned that using the scraper would possibly remove the dark window tint along with the decal.
I do believe, maybe incorrectly, but it looks this way to me, that the windows are like factory car tinted glass and have imbedded tint and not the aftermarket type of 'stuck on' tint.
And, if it really is an aftermarket tint why would the factory risk having an easily damaged tint on the outside of the glass where those decals live?
Has anyone actually tried to or successfully removed the decals is the real question. Thanks!!!
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #2

use a single edge razor blade and glass cleaner as lubricant...it'll take off anything on glass.....
capt4903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdbrn View Post
Taking the "style" too far in my opinion by covering the windows.
100% with you on this one. Decals are coming off the windows.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #4

I work in a vehicle graphics shop and deal with this all the time.
Use a razor blade scraper to get the decal off. Use goo-gone to remove the glue residue if there is any substantial amount. Use isopropyl alcohol to remove the goo-gone film.
DON'T use a heat gun on a wondow. It could easily crack your glass. If there is any aftermarket tint on the windows, it would likely be on the inside of the glass.
Heat guns are fine for aluminum and fibreglass if you're careful.
warno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #5

I totally agree... those decals that obstruct the only view in my Wildcat Maxx is ridiculous and don't add at all to the look of the trailer. And, I could care less what graphics are on the trailer (I think that they look cheesy anyway) and the one thing I do care about is being able to see the beauty around me. I hope that someone from FR is reading this. It really does a disservice to you and your customers. Will try the razor and goo gone and hopefully that will take care of it!
lrubarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #6

Window decal removal-update

So, last year I did remove the decals that obstructed the view from the 'picture window' in the living room, such a stupid design idea covering the window with stripes running through your field of view!
It was much easier than I thought it would be! I waited for a warm day, temps in the upper 80s for our area, used a razor blade scraper set I'd bought at the $1.00 store and just got the decal carefully going and pulled it back towards itself, started at the right side of the window and pulled the decal going left over the decal, and with very little difficulty and only a couple of decal rips it came right off in basically one slow pull.
Just a few weeks ago when we were in a mid 90s heat wave I went out and got all the rest of the decals off the rest of the windows. With the heat the process went even better.
There was very little residue from any of the decals and I got that off with Honda motorcycle polish and cleaner, turned out great for bug and decal residue!
Now a great view from the living room area and bedroom just as it should be.
I wound up using only 2 of the 4 set of scrapers and had the Honda cleaner on hand at home. To get all the decals off took about an hour, you DO have to go slow for a clean removal!!
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

Thanks, great info... thanks for sharing!

I'm up in Portland right now and it's raining so I'll have to wait till I get some heat!
lrubarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #8

AS CAPT4903 said. single edge razor blade. but use the foamy glass cleaner, it foams up and stays put for longer. I have been doing this for years and years. use the blade to get it started. pull back sticker. If you leave behind reside or small portions of the sticker. soak with the foamy let sit for a few. use a new blade with light pressure at about 45 degrees angle. after its all of spray more on and use clean towel to see if you missed any and clean window.never had a problem with scratches or missing any residue.
Camp Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, wildcat